Outwell Village

alan

As yet another (near) local I have to agree - superb layout. As with the last post, I also feel the church just has to be there though, this is not intended as a critism btw! It would really set the scene if it was on the backscene, complete with Teddy Boston and the Rev.Awdrey of course!

Yes I agree the church added to the back scene would makea huge difference, and hopefully some day I may get round to doing something about it.

Thanks again for all the kind comments.

• RMweb Gold

Russ, all the tracks are used apart from the line which runs along the side of the canal, this fell into disuse when coal was moved by road rather than by the canal. This photo may give you an idea of the track plan.

post-7379-126722250935_thumb.jpg

Ahh indeed!.... I was thinking the track with the grassed up flangeways was the one that went over the canal!

Thanks for the pic as you say it makes the track plan much clearer. Very nice! I remember seeing it at Uppermill in the Saddleworth museum- cant remember which year.

• 1 year later...

Any update on this layout since the last post or have I missed something somwhere?

Paul R

The layout's last outing was the Hull MRS show in November. It has a couple of dates coming up in 2012 I believe.

steve (relief driver on the line)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The barge is scratch built using plasticard, and using pictures found in the books and or articals as reference.

These pontoons were quite common years ago. They had hooks on the square end so they could be linked into pairs. There were quite a number converted into houseboats on the Ouse. I have a feeling (and i remember the painful splinters) they were made from ply. I have always wondered what their intended purpose was. Something to do with WW2 i'm sure.

Edited by LNERGE

These pontoons were quite common years ago. They had hooks on the square end so they could be linked into pairs. There were quite a number converted into houseboats on the Ouse. I have a feeling (and i remember the painful splinters) they were made from ply. I have always wondered what their intended purpose was. Something to do with WW2 i'm sure.

I think the intended use was for transporting coal which came in by rail to the outlying farms etc.

• 3 weeks later...