Settle-Carlisle N Gauge 1979-1983

Decided it's time to put the layout to bed for the winter. A couple of cold nights seem to have had an effect on a couple of the locos. They've given almost faultless running for 4 months, but after surviving near freezing temperatures some are starting to sound like a bag of nails

Todays failure was the 10 00 from Leeds which struggled up to the box before expiring completely. Fortunately an intrepid photographer was on hand to record the rescue.

post-13274-0-56602900-1321909311.jpg

40 192 was dispatched south from Carlisle following the morning service to Leeds. The loco then crossed to the down line to reach the failed Peak.

post-13274-0-46915800-1321913010.jpg

post-13274-0-72928400-1321909743.jpg

Having coupled up, the pair set off north 2 1/2 hours late. However, with services being so infrequent, the only other train to be delayed was the ballast working, which usually runs north behind the morning Leeds-Carlisle.

When I dismantle the layout and store it away, I'll take a few "behind the scenes" photos to show the fiddle yard and also how it was all put together. Must admit I'm almost too ashamed to show my efforts when it comes to baseboards and electrics....Sundeala and a few wires attached to the track. :no2: When I build a layout I think about 90% of the work goes into building the scenic side. The other 10% is for everything else.

To finish for now,...a few more shots taken from slightly different viewpoints.

post-13274-0-34370900-1321911626.jpg

46047 on the 10 00 Leeds-Carlisle .

post-13274-0-09953200-1321911821.jpg

A Class 40 heads north with a fitted freight.

post-13274-0-04656800-1321912289.jpg

The 3 20pm Healey Mills-Kingmoor being held behind a late running passenger service

More great pics, I don't blame you putting the layout to bed. Llanbourne started life in the loft at my mum and dads, I must admit I don't miss the cold nights.

Cheers Peter.

Don't know how many more British winters in can cope with. Have vague plans to retire abroad...nice to dream about, but not something to be undertaken lightly. How long do you have to wait for your orders to arrive from the UK?

Once the layout's packed away I should have a couple of months to think about alterations and improvements I need to make. The big change should be to the fiddle yard. At the moment it's 6 through lines and a dead end road for the ballast working, which runs round in the loop then returns to the fiddle yard. This is ok for the 1982-83 timetable, with 4 freights and 4 passenger workings each weekday.-(plus ballast) and with the passenger trains running twice to represent morning and afternnoon services. However, the ultimate aim was to run a midweek 1979-80 timetable which would require 8 through through lines, 4 dead end sidings and a lot of fiddling about in the fiddle yard! Even with all the extra track every train would have to run twice to represent the extra services. Despite continuing to aquire more stock I'm now not so sure about the 79-80 timetable. In addition, at present, it takes around 30mins to run the timetable representing 1 day - just a nice length of time to pop up into the attic and "play trains".

I'd also like to be able to box the layout in with a pelmet and lighting etc but I enjoy train watching from both sides...in fact I'm not sure if this layout has a back or front. It is actually a "back to front" layout, as everything (sort of) got turned around during construction....but that's another story!

Also, the winter months should be good time to start scribbling down a few ideas for something in OO. I'll only have 11ft x 3ft max and as usual I'll end up trying to fit far too much in. One thing for sure, it will be mid/late 80s. A nice mix of blue, raifreight grey and a hint of Rfd and Coal sectors.

I recently had a chance to see this topic on a larger screen, and although the photos are ok-ish on my laptop, they weren't so good when reproduced any larger...so I think it's time to be dragged into the 21st century by treating myself to a digital camera for Christmas. :imsohappy:

Can recommend Canon, G 9 is good, older now so recon versions are available. I have a hankering for the new "compact SLR's " that seem to be the new thing. The G9 is basically one of those without the removable lens. Pics looked fine on my laptop. 11 x 3 sounds great, will it be another S&C location?

Don't know how many more British winters in can cope with. Have vague plans to retire abroad...nice to dream about, but not something to be undertaken lightly. How long do you have to wait for your orders to arrive from the UK?

Once the layout's packed away I should have a couple of months to think about alterations and improvements I need to make. The big change should be to the fiddle yard. At the moment it's 6 through lines and a dead end road for the ballast working, which runs round in the loop then returns to the fiddle yard. This is ok for the 1982-83 timetable, with 4 freights and 4 passenger workings each weekday.-(plus ballast) and with the passenger trains running twice to represent morning and afternnoon services. However, the ultimate aim was to run a midweek 1979-80 timetable which would require 8 through through lines, 4 dead end sidings and a lot of fiddling about in the fiddle yard! Even with all the extra track every train would have to run twice to represent the extra services. Despite continuing to aquire more stock I'm now not so sure about the 79-80 timetable. In addition, at present, it takes around 30mins to run the timetable representing 1 day - just a nice length of time to pop up into the attic and "play trains".

I'd also like to be able to box the layout in with a pelmet and lighting etc but I enjoy train watching from both sides...in fact I'm not sure if this layout has a back or front. It is actually a "back to front" layout, as everything (sort of) got turned around during construction....but that's another story!

Also, the winter months should be good time to start scribbling down a few ideas for something in OO. I'll only have 11ft x 3ft max and as usual I'll end up trying to fit far too much in. One thing for sure, it will be mid/late 80s. A nice mix of blue, raifreight grey and a hint of Rfd and Coal sectors.

I recently had a chance to see this topic on a larger screen, and although the photos are ok-ish on my laptop, they weren't so good when reproduced any larger...so I think it's time to be dragged into the 21st century by treating myself to a digital camera for Christmas. :imsohappy:

Hi,

Living in Oz does have it's problems, my garage is unlined and has no air con so during the summer it can become a bit oven like, any day in the mid 30s makes it too hot unless a cool change comes through, it has been in the mid to high 40s out there.

As for parcels coming over it can take anywhere between 8- 15 days I have had them take longer it depends on the time of year I think.

Good luck with your plans for a 00 gauge layout, I am sure if you start a thread with your ideas and track plans you will get plenty of help, and get told if you are putting to much in. :derisive: Good time period too, I have plenty of pics for that time period as it was when I was out and about the most. I do like the triple grey sector liveries but have made that my cut off point on Llanbourne, Nov 87 it it was first launched.

You won't look back once you have gone Digital, I use a Canon Powershot which is a few years old now, once you work out the settings they are great fun to use.

Cheers Peter.

Can recommend Canon, G 9 is good, older now so recon versions are available. I have a hankering for the new "compact SLR's " that seem to be the new thing. The G9 is basically one of those without the removable lens. Pics looked fine on my laptop. 11 x 3 sounds great, will it be another S&C location?

Most people seem to recomend Cannon. I'll have a look at any suggestions people make. Would love an SLR but given their price, I'll probably have to settle for something more basic.

The new layout will be OO so not a lot of space. It will probably be an urban location set in the north/north west of England. However, having looked at many Scottish layouts on the site, I could be tempted to model something north of the border. Only problem with that idea is that I've just sold off my 26s and 27s.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of great landscapes in those Scottish lines too. Dapol 26 might be a good replacement for those old locos.

On the camera front I have bought both my Canons second hand from an auction site, both well under half price compared to retail.

Thanks for the camera info. and sorry for the late reply. I,m away from home at the moment and haven,t been near a computer for 2 weeks. Once I,m back home I,ll start looking for something. Wouldn,t discount the idea of a 2nd hand camera as I know a few people who,ve bought them without any problems.

Also..another question (off topic but wasn,t sure where to post it) Slide copiers...Any reccomendations for transfering approx 1500 35mm slides to digital? Customer comments about copiers vary greatly. Some seem happy with the results from a particular model, while others say the same model reproduces images with a blue-ish colour. I thought this site would be the best place to ask as we,re probably all after the best results with the same subject matter...My slide collection dates from 1979-2010, mostly Kodachrome, some Fuji/Boots and a few Agfa.

Ok...back to layouts- I might consider the scenic Highland/Kyle/Far North lines in N, but I,ve been really inspired by the more urban locations I,ve seen modelled. I have fond memories of a couple of Ian Futters layouts from the early 80s, also Scotland Street and more recently,others I,ve seen on this site. If I chose an urban location it would be a compact OO layout.

Glad I packed Settle -Carlisle away a few weeks ago. I,ve heard winter has arrived in UK so the attic will be uninhabitable for the next few months.

Not had any experience of slide transfer personally but some of the South Devon pics I was sent recently were toned blue, they had been done on a home machine, it was only 2 out of the 20 that did this. I suspect some of those reviews were caused by P.I.C.N.I.C errors, (Problem In Chair Not In Computer!) I

• RMweb Premium

I've just discovered this thread and greatly enjoyed looking at the way the layout has developed.

I'm in the process of starting a long-term OO S&C-based layout, and hope to get some of my own pics on here in a year or two!

Best wishes to 60091. Keep the posts coming!

Jeff

I've just discovered this thread and greatly enjoyed looking at the way the layout has developed.

I'm in the process of starting a long-term OO S&C-based layout, and hope to get some of my own pics on here in a year or two!

Best wishes to 60091. Keep the posts coming!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff....Look forward to seeing how your layout develops. Start posting as soon as your ready! Are you looking at a particular location? Is it going to be blue diesels or something a bit more up to date?

I wished I'd been on the site earlier to share the trials and tribulations of building the layout from the begining. It certainly wasn't a long term project. Probably about 6 months for construction after a couple of months scribbling ideas on paper. Should have taken more time as there were a few major alterations required while it was being built. What I do find invaluable, are the hours spent looking at books on the subject and the days spent visiting the line over many years.

I took a few more photos before I dismantled the layout for the winter so I'll try and post them in the next couple of weeks.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff....Look forward to seeing how your layout develops. Start posting as soon as your ready! Are you looking at a particular location? Is it going to be blue diesels or something a bit more up to date?

I wished I'd been on the site earlier to share the trials and tribulations of building the layout from the begining. It certainly wasn't a long term project. Probably about 6 months for construction after a couple of months scribbling ideas on paper. Should have taken more time as there were a few major alterations required while it was being built. What I do find invaluable, are the hours spent looking at books on the subject and the days spent visiting the line over many years.

I took a few more photos before I dismantled the layout for the winter so I'll try and post them in the next couple of weeks.

Hi! I will start a thread on the new layout when I get the baseboards built. I've just completed the insulation on a double garage conversion, so it will be summer 2012 by the time I get electrics in, baseboard subframes and open-top boards started. Track plan already established. I prefer scenic layouts, though this one will have a station.

I'm more into green than blue diesels. Kop-out really, because running the layout in mid-late 60s allows me to slip the odd steam engine in too! I'm keen on Peaks diesels and 9F steam, so I can justify them on the S&C!

I've enclosed a pic from my previous layout...green class 25.

Best wishes,

Jeff

post-13778-0-45356700-1323615214_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year....With the layout dismantled for the winter, Christmas /New Year modelling activity has consisted of building a Revell 1/48 scale Lunar Module!... You can't get much further from the S+C than that! Still no sign of the new camera. I'm now looking for something under £10 :sarcastic: as this year I'm going to be lucky enough to escape the British winter twice...the downside being, by March, I'll be living on bread and water.

So ..back to the spring of 1983 and a few photos of 40 052 working 6E54.

post-13274-0-25026900-1325530845.jpg

With the wagons in the down loop 40 052 runs round it's train.

post-13274-0-83811800-1325532488.jpg

Already running 20 minutes late, the 10 00 Carlisle - Leeds arrives and makes an unscheduled stop at the box.

post-13274-0-67347500-1325531300.jpg[

The 40 draws the wagons out of the loop before propelling them beyond the crossover. Having called at the box, the 47 pulls up to the signal where it's then held for a further 30 minutes.

post-13274-0-00391600-1325534181.jpg. post-13274-0-88732500-1325534211.jpg

With the 47 finally on it's way south, 40 052 crosses to the up line and departs 40 minutes late.

Later, having talked to the signalman,- the reason for the delay to the Carlisle - Leeds service - a report of "sheep on the line" near Selside...

Thanks for the camera info. and sorry for the late reply. I,m away from home at the moment and haven,t been near a computer for 2 weeks. Once I,m back home I,ll start looking for something. Wouldn,t discount the idea of a 2nd hand camera as I know a few people who,ve bought them without any problems.

Also..another question (off topic but wasn,t sure where to post it) Slide copiers...Any reccomendations for transfering approx 1500 35mm slides to digital? Customer comments about copiers vary greatly. Some seem happy with the results from a particular model, while others say the same model reproduces images with a blue-ish colour. I thought this site would be the best place to ask as we,re probably all after the best results with the same subject matter...My slide collection dates from 1979-2010, mostly Kodachrome, some Fuji/Boots and a few Agfa.

Ok...back to layouts- I might consider the scenic Highland/Kyle/Far North lines in N, but I,ve been really inspired by the more urban locations I,ve seen modelled. I have fond memories of a couple of Ian Futters layouts from the early 80s, also Scotland Street and more recently,others I,ve seen on this site. If I chose an urban location it would be a compact OO layout.

Glad I packed Settle -Carlisle away a few weeks ago. I,ve heard winter has arrived in UK so the attic will be uninhabitable for the next few months.

Hi All,

I have been a member of the site for a few months but lurking in the background looking at all the superb layouts so this is my first post. Linking back to the above quote, 60091 was asking about digitising slides, I use a slide duplicator and a digital camera fired from the computer to avoid camera shake. I can also alter all camera settings and get an instant image of the slide as well as a live view if required. With respect to colour casts, all film has a colour temperature which varies between manufacturers, Kodak has a predominantly cool temperature, hence the blue colour cast and you can remove all/most of it in photo editing software. If you don't have the equipment or time to do the digitisation yourself, there are businesses available who will do it for you but this will obviously incur costs.

Hope this helps

Andy

Hi All,

I have been a member of the site for a few months but lurking in the background looking at all the superb layouts so this is my first post. Linking back to the above quote, 60091 was asking about digitising slides, I use a slide duplicator and a digital camera fired from the computer to avoid camera shake. I can also alter all camera settings and get an instant image of the slide as well as a live view if required. With respect to colour casts, all film has a colour temperature which varies between manufacturers, Kodak has a predominantly cool temperature, hence the blue colour cast and you can remove all/most of it in photo editing software. If you don't have the equipment or time to do the digitisation yourself, there are businesses available who will do it for you but this will obviously incur costs.

Hope this helps

Andy

Hi Andy.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the information about digitising/copying slides. I've found a couple of "friends of friends" who have different makes of copiers and they're going to run through a small selection of slides so I can compare results. It's good to know that photo editing software might overcome colour cast problems but given my limited knowledge of computers I want to avoid any extra "messing about" with them if possible. Given the large number of Kodak slides, the blue cast will be the one to avoid. I've been quoted around £1/slide for copies, slightly less for larger quantities...50+ 100+ etc. With so many to be copied this is going to be expensive, so I'll try to find a reasonably good copier in the near future.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol 26 might be a good replacement for those old locos.

You could justify one on the present layout, they were used to Appleby/Warcop, and (at least) 1 rescue of a passenger train, plus scheduled special train double headed (though that one probably outside your timescale!) The one I have a picture of is an Inverness one on its way to Warcop.

You could justify one on the present layout, they were used to Appleby/Warcop, and (at least) 1 rescue of a passenger train, plus scheduled special train double headed (though that one probably outside your timescale!) The one I have a picture of is an Inverness one on its way to Warcop.

Hello Russ...The new 26 looks very nice. Haven't seen any reports on how it runs yet. In a perfect world- (one where I've got plenty of money) I'd definitely buy one, and probably a 37 as well. With plans to expand the timetable and run the layout 1979-80 it's going to be basic stuff I need...2-3 more 40s, 1-2 peaks and at least a couple of 25s. I can't believe Farish have no plans to produce a 25/1 or 25/3 to run on their new Class 24 chassis.

Although they weren't common 26s and 37s worked the line 1979-83 usually on engineers trains. I've also seen a couple of photos of 37s on diverted freights, especially around the time of the Pennmanshiel Tunnel collapse. There's also a very good photo of 26040 running north, passing Ais Gill on a short engineers' train in "Trans-Pennine Rail Routes" by L A Nixon. Its described as "providing the motive power for a Carlisle-Blea Moor engineers' train". Date 14th April 1981.

• 1 month later...

I might be being too optimistic, but after the recent mild weather I thought it was about time to bring the layout out of hibernation. The main reason for making a start was a new arrival a week ago...

post-13274-0-02164300-1330637629.jpg

Ex works (second hand) Class 40 purchased last week. I didn't want to leave it too long before being able to give it a test run.

I also took a few shots of the layout with the scenery removed giving a behind the scenes look at the fiddle yard. The main board is just over 6ft long and has 2 removable scenic sections.The smaller board (furthest from the camera) is 3ft long and, with the valley and viaduct, has the scenery permanently attached

post-13274-0-04596600-1330638032.jpg

post-13274-0-30410300-1330638064.jpg

As designed and built the track ended up much too near the original front of the layout. Having tried to live with this compromise for a few weeks I realised it didn't look good.The solution was to add a long thin scenic section to continue the hillside above the tracks to the west. Although never more than 8" wide the improvement was dramatic, bedding the track into the landscape.

post-13274-0-32091600-1330638799.jpg

post-13274-0-25751900-1330638835.jpg

This section is attached by means of 3 brass picture hangers which can be seen on the right. They fit over 3 pegs drilled into the original front edge of the layout. One is hidden under a bush, another inside a pw hut and the third is under the water tank.

post-13274-0-73515000-1330639173.jpg

post-13274-0-64443500-1330639207.jpg

This afternoon I got the stock back on the layout and, apart from testing the new 40, I've started running a reduced service to provide "running in" turns for the rest of the fleet.

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the layout is out of hibernation! The last set of shots is excellent - I particularly like the 4th image down. As I've said before, my kind of layout with tons of scenery. My 00 S&C will be more limited than your N layout, but hope it'll look half as good.

Jeff

Great to see the layout is out of hibernation! The last set of shots is excellent - I particularly like the 4th image down. As I've said before, my kind of layout with tons of scenery. My 00 S&C will be more limited than your N layout, but hope it'll look half as good.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

How's your S+C layout coming along? Are you still on schedule to start building this summer?

For now it's good to have the layout up and running again to the 1982-83 timetable. The only plans for the layout this year will be a small extention to the fiddle yard, probably 2 extra loops and the 2 longest roads re-wired to hold 2 short freights in each. This will allow me to run a few more freights, but not a full 1979-80 timetable which I'm now thinking might be too ambitious. As you can see from the previous photos, there isn't a lot of space left under the scenery to add more fiddle yard tracks.

Overall I'm pleased with the layout and the balance between railway and scenery, although even with N Gauge I still wish I'd had the space for an extra 2-3 ft to give a longer loop and sidings.

There's also a small OO Gauge layout to start planning and building soon so I'll have to start thinking about begining a new topic to cover it's progress...

A few recent photos

post-13274-0-52110500-1331408316.jpg

The 10 00 Carlisle - Leeds hauled by 45036 passes 40052 running round the Ribblehead quarry ballast train.

post-13274-0-31528500-1331408518.jpg

The new Class 40 is preforming well and has a regular turn on the early morning Healey Mills-Kingmoor freight.

Before weathering I was thinking of converting it to one of the split indicator box locos. Does anyone know if there's a conversion kit available, or will the new front end have to be scratch built?

post-13274-0-47878100-1331409200.jpg

45036 returns with the afternoon working from Leeds.

• RMweb Premium

Hi 60091 (that's one helluva name!!),

I've just this minute come in from the garage - just finished fitting the new ceiling. Electrics are in place so I reckon the subframe for the baseboards may get done by June. hopefully I might get some track down by the end of the year!! If you're interested I will PM you an outline trackplan...

It's great to see the new pics of your layout. I've collected a lot of reference material for developing my scenery - previous attempts have been ad hoc. Your efforts capture the spirit of the S&C very nicely.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Before weathering I was thinking of converting it to one of the split indicator box locos. Does anyone know if there's a conversion kit available, or will the new front end have to be scratch built?

Layout is looking good! Used to live a stone's throw from Kirkby Stephen and the scenery captures the look beautifully.

I'm fairly sure Taylor Precision Models used to do a straightforward plug in resin front end for a split box 40 which just needed painting but i'm not sure if they are still available. Their website doesn't list stock any more but it may be worth dropping them an email.

Keep up the good work!

Ian B

Superb layout and nice to see the HM 40's earning their keep

Alternatively you could try here:

http://www.bh-enterp...o.uk/page11.htm

Item L201

HTH

Cheers

Lee

Archived