Settle-Carlisle N Gauge 1979-1983

• RMweb Premium

This layout just oozes S&C. You've done a great job of capturing the landscape.

It does however make the Farish class 40 look it's age. Fingers crossed a new one gets anounced later this month.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I admit to being a latecomer to this thread. The S&C title attracted me and I must say you are building a fine layout. 4mm doesn't lend itself in the same way as 2mm when it comes to masses of scenic work (too many feet & inches to lean over). The large radius points are to be envied....... Such a pity the equivalent are not available to us 00 gaugers!

Hi 60091 (that's one helluva name!!),

I've just this minute come in from the garage - just finished fitting the new ceiling. Electrics are in place so I reckon the subframe for the baseboards may get done by June. hopefully I might get some track down by the end of the year!! If you're interested I will PM you an outline trackplan...

It's great to see the new pics of your layout. I've collected a lot of reference material for developing my scenery - previous attempts have been ad hoc. Your efforts capture the spirit of the S&C very nicely.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hello Jeff

I've just been looking at how PMs work. There must be so many areas on this site I know nothing about or haven't noticed before .I'd be interested in having a look at your outline track plan. Not sure I understand how it works but assume if you send a PM, I'll find it in my messages box? Let me know if there's anything else I need to do to receive and read your PM.

The layout is going to see more Sunday activity for a while as there's pw work in Dentdale over the next three weekends. There'll be a few engineers' trains, single line working and a couple of additional Sunday freights over the line, so I'll try to remember to get a few photos.

Before weathering I was thinking of converting it to one of the split indicator box locos. Does anyone know if there's a conversion kit available, or will the new front end have to be scratch built?

Layout is looking good! Used to live a stone's throw from Kirkby Stephen and the scenery captures the look beautifully.

I'm fairly sure Taylor Precision Models used to do a straightforward plug in resin front end for a split box 40 which just needed painting but i'm not sure if they are still available. Their website doesn't list stock any more but it may be worth dropping them an email.

Keep up the good work!

Ian B

Superb layout and nice to see the HM 40's earning their keep

Alternatively you could try here:

http://www.bh-enterp...o.uk/page11.htm

Item L201

HTH

Cheers

Lee

Hello ian b and Healey Mills

Thanks for the Class 40 "split box" info. Neither company seems to have their conversion kits available. BH Enterprises list it as N/A and , as you said, it's not listed by TPM. Might send TPM an e mail just to check they haven't any left in stock. I never had a problem converting OO diesels but I'm worried about getting it, right scratch building a new front end, in N. Working in N gauge it would only take a small error to ruin the whole character of the loco.

I remember choosing loco numbers from local sheds, HM, KD, LO, TI, GD etc, but forgot which ones belonged where! Checked my old Platform 5 for 1982 and 40052 and 192 were both HM. I've got 192 listed as being transfered from GD to HM during 1982. Something I must try to remember is which are xi, vo, xb etc...just in case they end up working passenger trains.

• RMweb Premium

Hi! I will send you a copy of the (current) plan. You should find the "envelope" in the top right-hand corner of the screen indicates "you've got mail!!"

Btw, your layout is gathering a wider and appreciative audience. It is well-deserved!

Jeff

Nice to see the layout back out of it's winter sleep. The latest pics showing how you have done the scenery have given me an idea how to do a section of scenics on Llanbourne. Nice to see 45036 out on a passenger turn, I always liked that loco being the last to carry the centre split headcodes.

What are your plans for the 00 layout you mentioned? Looking forwards to that.

Cheers Peter.

This layout just oozes S&C. You've done a great job of capturing the landscape.

It does however make the Farish class 40 look it's age. Fingers crossed a new one gets anounced later this month.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Steven

Thanks for the comments ....I forget that the majority of the photos show the locos and stock in cruel close-up, and yes the 40s and Peaks do show their age. When I'm playing trains I operate the layout from what should be the back, looking down the hillside, and they seem miles away!. It'll be interesting to see the new 40 but what I really need now is a new Class 25.

post-13274-0-47641100-1331584043.jpg

Nice to see the layout back out of it's winter sleep. The latest pics showing how you have done the scenery have given me an idea how to do a section of scenics on Llanbourne. Nice to see 45036 out on a passenger turn, I always liked that loco being the last to carry the centre split headcodes.

What are your plans for the 00 layout you mentioned? Looking forwards to that.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter

Both myself and the layout have survived another British winter..In my case helped by being lucky enough to escape abroad a couple of times. :) I was pleased at how well everything ran on the layout after 3 months out of use. I gave the track a quick clean and all but one of the locos went straight to work.

I chose 45036 because I knew she carried the split head code for a long time...but wasn't sure how long. Most loco numbers were chosen for the 1979-80 timetable I originally planned to run so I wasn't sure if or when 45036 would have been converted.....Then I found this...look away now if you love Peaks....

post-13274-0-78085300-1331587174.jpg

So she kept it to the end!... November 1987.

.....and there were 21 others with her in the Toton scrap lines.

I could start a new topic for the 00 layout but can't think of a name for the new layout. It will definitely be 1985-90 because I love the liveries and a compact urban location because I don't have a lot of space. The location may be Yorkshire although my old loco collection has a definite bias towards the north east of England. Here,s a "sneak preview" of the motive power....

post-13274-0-43759500-1331588705.jpg

post-13274-0-64635100-1331589146.jpg

Old locos looking for a layout to call home!

There's no money for anything new, so I hope the old Lima, Hornby and Mainline products will keep going for now. They,ve been in boxes for 12 years so I've no idea what condition they're in.... I'll try and get the new topic started before the end of the month. :whistle:

Thanks for the Class 40 "split box" info. Neither company seems to have their conversion kits available. BH Enterprises list it as N/A and , as you said, it's not listed by TPM. Might send TPM an e mail just to check they haven't any left in stock.

They are currently in stock, but the website is in the process of being updated - sorry! Here's a link to a picture of a painted one (they're supplied unpainted) http://www.tpmodels....oses_for_40.htm

Bernard Taylor, TPM

1988 was a sad year as it was the end for the Peaks. I think 45036 was lucky to last into 87 as the last time I saw the loco she was looking pretty tatty.

Looking forwards to seeing how you go with the class 40 mod Bernard's split box nose looks great.

Your 00 stock looks good to, if you need any spares to get them going let me know I have a few chassis and power units you can have. I will certainly follow your progress on the new build.

Cheers Peter.

They are currently in stock, but the website is in the process of being updated - sorry! Here's a link to a picture of a painted one (they're supplied unpainted) http://www.tpmodels....oses_for_40.htm

Bernard Taylor, TPM

Thanks for the information and photo....very nice! Please keep a set for me and I'll be in touch asap.

Unfortunatly, as you mentioned, I can't access the webside at the moment and the link to your e mail doesn't seem to be working.

Can you PM me with prices and your e mail address. Many thanks

1988 was a sad year as it was the end for the Peaks. I think 45036 was lucky to last into 87 as the last time I saw the loco she was looking pretty tatty.

Looking forwards to seeing how you go with the class 40 mod Bernard's split box nose looks great.

Your 00 stock looks good to, if you need any spares to get them going let me know I have a few chassis and power units you can have. I will certainly follow your progress on the new build.

Cheers Peter.

45036 was withdrawn in 1986, not sure what month though.

Carl

• RMweb Premium

Ooops my bad, May 1986, and I should have rememberd it's written on my stock list. Not sure where 87 came from.

Cheers Peter.

Lol, Peter! I'm sure you have many more things to think about - especially your superb layout - than the withdrawal date of a Peaks diesel!!

Jeff

Ooops my bad, May 1986, and I should have rememberd it's written on my stock list. Not sure where 87 came from.

Cheers Peter.

It would be interesting to know how many of the older surviving Peaks were withdrawn with their original headcode boxes. Without digging too deeply I can't find any photos by 1986-7 apart from my shot of 036 at Toton. There must have been a few others?

When I decided to build S+C 1979-83 it was my first attempt at N Gauge which meant starting a fleet of locos from scratch.Tonight I found the piece of paper which shows the original "research" to give me a balanced collection of locos to run on the layout. I spent a couple of evenings looking at all the S+C photos I could find and making a note of the loco numbers. Apart from the most regular classes to appear, there were also photos of two 37s, a 26 and by 1983 a few 31/4s on passenger workings.

post-13274-0-95454300-1331764193.jpg post-13274-0-19969800-1331764220.jpg

Additional information and symbols refere to headcode details and in the case of the 25s, body types. I needed 14 locos to run a full timetable and this research/madness gave me the final total of - five 40s, one 46, two 45s, three 47s and three 25s =14 and so far I've stuck to this original plan. Although the Peaks all have different front ends, while by the early 80s marker lights would have been by far the most common.....and there's just one other requirement - no ETH !

I did a list when I first decided my layout would be based on North Wales, I looked through books as well to work out what locos worked what trains and later when I started writting my timetable it was a case of working out many locos I needed for the diagrams.I didn't go as far as headcode types though as by the mid 80s there was less variety.

I did have quite a few locos by this time but it did help me focus on what to buy.

I think if I were you I would be tempted to do 45141, one of my favourite Peaks and from a quick look at your list looked more common than other 45/1s a nice 31/4 would be nice to though having seen some pics of Lee's detailed 26s in the gallery pages, I would be very tempted.

Cheers Peter.

.....and there's just one other requirement - no ETH !

Just how it should be :declare:

I think if I were you I would be tempted to do 45141, one of my favourite Peaks and from a quick look at your list looked more common than other 45/1s a nice 31/4 would be nice to though having seen some pics of Lee's detailed 26s in the gallery pages, I would be very tempted.

Go on... you know you want to!

If you need any help/ gen with the 40's detailiing I may be able to help but with Wagons - sorry I mean Peaks :sarcastichand: , I can't help with those.

Cheers

Lee

Just how it should be :declare:

Go on... you know you want to!

If you need any help/ gen with the 40's detailiing I may be able to help but with Wagons - sorry I mean Peaks :sarcastichand: , I can't help with those.

Cheers

Lee

Aww thats a bit harsh, I like my Peaks we used to call 47s wagons.

An N gauge project is quite tempting but if you saw the amount of locos and other stock sat under Llanbourne you would see another project is a long way off. it's bad enough I have an O gauge class 33 and class 27 detail kit plus a few wagonst gathering dust.

Cheers Peter.

Aww thats a bit harsh, I like my Peaks we used to call 47s wagons.

An N gauge project is quite tempting but if you saw the amount of locos and other stock sat under Llanbourne you would see another project is a long way off. it's bad enough I have an O gauge class 33 and class 27 detail kit plus a few wagonst gathering dust.

Cheers Peter.

I never used their nicknames but Peaks were wagons and, if I remember correctly, 47s were duffs....I was told it was something to do with their poor availability record when new?

I was lucky enough to see Deltics in action for 2 years. They were incredible machines and I also liked the Peaks because of the regimental names. 31s, 37s and 40s were always too common to arouse much interest ! I missed the 40s when they were gone and got to like some of the 37 sub classes...the 37/4s in the highlands and the 37/5s when they were at Thornaby on steel traffic. Also, probably because of their "freight only" status I liked the 47/3s. For that reason they, along with none ETH Peaks, were my favorite for haulage on the many summer Saturday "holiday" services which ran during the early/mid 80s.

Another new arrival this week...

post-13274-0-69466200-1332004173.jpg

post-13274-0-33966200-1332004190.jpg

So the Class 40 family is complete. Five locos plus three spare bodies. One will be converted using the Taylor Plastic Models split headcode box kit, and then I think I'll treat myself to a celebrity loco. I've got a suitable spare body which will ,eventually, become 40106.

post-13274-0-01650900-1332004209.jpg

For the next couple of weeks I have this entertaining and somewhat repetitive job to look forward to. A full rake of 16t minerals to build as MCVs. Not the most accurate kit but definitely the cheapest when large numbers are required. I've been buying one a week for months so it feels like they haven't cost me a penny ! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Hee hee, Alan, almost as repetitive as my fitting over 2000 screws in the conversion of my garage (does that constitute "rivet counting"?). And the minerals should look really good once they are done!

Love the 40s and Peaks, whatever their nicknames. Prefer green livery though!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Nice weather yesterday so made my first trip over the S+C for 2012. Decided that as 1/2 stone has appeared from nowhere over the winter I needed exercise rather than standing around photographing trains.

post-13274-0-41493400-1332540895.jpg

Despite the sun the haze remained all day. This is the afternoon "engineers" train crossing Ribblehead Viaduct taken from half way up Whernside.

Meanwhile to return to 1983...The line has seen track renewal work to the south of Dent Station over the two previous weekends. Although no regular services were running, last Sunday, two additional freights and an excursion used the line.

post-13274-0-63976700-1332542550.jpg

post-13274-0-86346000-1332542570.jpg

Mid morning saw 47053 on an excursion from Chesterfield to Carlisle. The pw work caused a 45 minute delay northbound though fortunately it was booked to return via the ECML.

post-13274-0-82015700-1332543021.jpg

40 012 running wrong line with an additional freight from Warcop to Bescot.

post-13274-0-46751300-1332543047.jpg

The biggest suprise of the day was 46047 on a diverted ECML service from Aberdeen. Originally booked to run on Friday, the S+C was a strange choice for the diverted freight with engineering work in progress! Having run wrong line from Appleby the train is about to regain the up line.

post-13274-0-11756100-1332545404.jpg

The Class 46 continues on her way south.

post-13274-0-54893700-1332543748.jpg

40052 and 40196 at work on pw and ballast trains.

Work was completed on time and the line re-opened for normal traffic at 6am on Monday.

Archived