Pine Road. The original 4mm scale Lyme Regis based layout

pushpull33

Hi all.

I thought it was time for an update as to what's been happening on Pine Road for Corfe Mullen.

Some new station signs have been added.

post-13496-0-06299000-1368540719_thumb.jpg

A thatched farm house has been scratch built (no it hasn't been snowing, I just havn't got round to the ground works yet) 

post-13496-0-79501900-1368540544_thumb.jpg

A new addition to the family has been taking up my time. Casey. Sweeeeet.

post-13496-0-81127000-1368540927_thumb.jpg

A loading gauge has been added.

post-13496-0-26483100-1368541024_thumb.jpg

And a small fence with some fire buckets attatched ( idea came from Harmans Cross, on the Swanage line). 

Real one.

post-13496-0-74603900-1368541176_thumb.jpg

Model one.

post-13496-0-55951900-1368541243_thumb.jpg

I should buy myself a decent camera and take some far better pictures. as Olddudders says

• Like 6

Guest oldlugger

I think the scratch built house looks great pushpull33; there used to be lots like that, with thatch, where I lived in west Dorset.

All the best

Simon

Hi all.

Thanks very much for all the "likes".It was based on one that my Mum lived in as a child at Hinton Martell,long since gone as it burnt down some years ago. It took some time to build but the thatch wasn't a actually that difficult to do.

What's next. Well we need a barn and perhaps an outbuilding of some sort.then a pub for the middle section next to the river. After that we need to sort out the signals, am looking at MSE ones lattice upper quadrant and there ground signals. Need to make more trees,I was thinking of tree lining the river on one side, thought it might be a good effect to watch the trains coming round the curve through the trees,and the backscene I've got one just not got round to fitting it.

I have been building this for,is it nearly 3 years and there is so much still to do. The station Master's garden,the two houses need there gardens sorted.all things to do in the future.

Colin

Edited by pushpull33
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

Thought it was time for an update as quite a bit has been done lately.

I am pleased with the results as it's begining to come to life now.

So here are a few pics of the progress.

The Thatch cottage has been bedded in never to move again. I also built the barn.

post-13496-0-92274100-1374485970_thumb.jpg

Another view showwing the Blacksmiths store and workshop. The workshop was copied from a picture of one in a book, Victorian and Edwardian Dorset. I wondered what the round stone was for embedded in the path way, it turns out it was what they used to re-tyre cart wheels. You can just pick it out in this photo

post-13496-0-35619700-1374486012_thumb.jpg

A view showing the back of the cottage

post-13496-0-40852200-1374486053_thumb.jpg

A view of the Bridge Inn, I know the sign out the front shows a fox, this is due to be changed when i can find a nice little pub sign of a bridge. 

post-13496-0-95217300-1374486128_thumb.jpg

Showing the lane going up past the houses and the Bridge Inn

post-13496-0-18133900-1374486202_thumb.jpg

The back of the Bridge Inn leading down to the river 

post-13496-0-74709400-1374486246_thumb.jpg

Langley Models Coal cart. I dont think it will stay there, it will probably find a home outside the Blacksmiths workshop

post-13496-0-64085300-1374486305_thumb.jpg

And to end , a view of the goods yard, terraced house and The Bridge inn  

post-13496-0-72860600-1374486392_thumb.jpg

A lot of what i have done lately is of "beyound the railway fence" and so i have done quite a bit of research in "what was" back in the day. I have been fascinated in what i have learnt, Absolutley nothing to do with Railways. It's amazing where this hobby takes you 

• Like 7

Nice layout! I like the flowing curves of the track and the rural buildings outside the railway fence - and the scratchbuilt pointwork. Mine is all rail soldered to copperclad sleepers, too, but I've never tackled either a double slip or a 3 way point - I'm impressed.

I agree with your comment about how much you learn about life in days gone by when trying to get details on one's layout right. The wonderful thing about this hobby is that you end up finding out about all sorts of things most non enthusiasts don't even consider. I recall looking hard at grass trying to work out exactly what shade of green it is - the answer of course is that its lots of different shades which vary according to the light conditions and the weather at the time. 

I look forward to seeing progress on Pine Road.

David C

Hi all

Thanks guys for the comments. I will answer each in turn. 

David C.

The trackwork is SMP along with their plans for the double slip and 3 way point. It is the first time i have ever built my own trackwork. I really enjoyed doing it and it works. 

I know what you mean about grass colour. I was trying to work out what colour Cob would have been back in the day, very difficult to work it out from black and white photographs. I came to the conclusion whatever was around in the area ie: clay soil colours, so opted for beige/brown mix with a little terracotta thrown in for good measure. 

Railwest

The Signal Box. Well, it's like this. You start a hobby As you get into the hobby and learn how to do things and various methods, you tend to get better.....oh yes, sorry the signal box. It's actually a Ratio GWR kit but painted in Southern Region colours (cringe). The Signal Box and station building, incidentally is a Wills Craftsman kit, are the first 2 buildings i made. Everything else on the layout is scratchbuilt, hence why i don't think these two really fit in compared to what has been built since. The station building i feel is too big for the size of the actual station. I am thinking of replacing it with, perhaps along the lines of Broadstone or perhaps Lyme Regis. The Signal Box, i was thinking perhaps Corfe Mullen Junction. Anyway something that shouts out Southern. 

Shortliner.

That is spot on. A BIG THANK YOU.

Silky_jack.

The bridge is made from a card base, the sort of thing you get from the back of a photo frame, with a thin layer of Daz Modelling clay glued on top with PVA after which the stonework was scribed in and then each painted with slightly differing greys and browns. Try and keep a weight on it overnight while it is drying as the card can sometimes warp. If you go back to post 40 there is a picture of the card base. I hope this helps 

• Like 1

If you feel that the station building is too big, then maybe a single-storey equivalent in brick instead. Perhaps something like Daggons Road without the adjacent house?

I thought I detected the Ratio influence in the signal-box :-) But if you really want to be L&SWR/SR provenance, then - even allowing for their influence - I would avoid S&DJR protoypes. Also, you need to get your railway's 'history' sorted out so as to select a box style appropriate to the relevant period, and then determine the signalling requirements so as to size the structure accordingly, especially if you want to follow the "small(er) is beautiful" approach.

Hi Chris.

I understand what you are saying about the S&DJR prototypes. I want it to be ex L&SWR/SR. I am building up some SR stock, Maunsell coaching stock in maunsell green. I have a fair few private owner wagons mainly from Wessex Wagons etc. all with reference to Bournemouth, Boscombe, Dorchester, Lyme Regis, Axminster and Yeovil. A couple of M7's, one Push Pull fitted. An Adams Radial Kit waiting to be built.

As for a time zone i am thinking early to mid 30s.

So, where is pine road actually situated in Dorset? Well, i know of 2 in the area. One in Winton and one in Corfe Mullen which is where i was born hence the name which of course is S&D Territory.

The Goods and engine sheds are based on drawings from Lyme Regis. So i am using a Bit of modellers licence and putting the location somewhere in west Dorset.

As you can see the Station building and signal box are from a previous layout but will be changed in time.

Any further ideas greatly appreciated.

And as i have said before i really MUST sort this backscene.

"So, where is pine road actually situated in Dorset? ..... One in Winton and one in Corfe Mullen.......I am using a Bit of modellers licence and putting the location somewhere in west Dorset."

Which confuses me even more, as the running-in board say 'Pine Road for Corfe Mullen'! :-)

Hi Chris

I should have thought about this more at the planning stage. i am confused.com. :no:  It wasn't really intended to be of any actual place. Just my idea of somewhere in Dorset, SR, early to mid 30s  

I wanted to build Lyme Regis but it's surprisingly stretched out. Total length would have been getting on for 15' with compression, just not got the room.  I didn't want to call it Lyme Regis as my trackplan is some what different . After all it's just a name i came up with.

Pine Road has sentimental value to me as i was born and brought up there. I added the "for Corfe Mullen" part so as not to be confused with Corfe Castle as they did with Daggons Road so as not to  confuse Alderholt with Aldershot. 

Pine Road is situated at the east end of Corfe Mullen just where Corfe Mullen Halt was 

There are limited branch lines in dorset to base anything on, So a big chunk of modellers licence has been used.

Some time ago a friend of mine at our local club came up with a signaling diagram for the Layout.

post-13496-0-18070400-1374574151_thumb.jpg

It would appear to be fairly straightforward. I am thinking it only needs a small signal box. As all the other buildings are based on Lyme Regis, as an idea lets use Lyme Regis but that was ground based so lets put it on say a wooden base as opposed to brick. The Goods shed was a wooden structure and so was the engine shed originally, before it caught fire one night and was replaced by an asbestos one

Colin

• Like 1

>>>As all the other buildings are based on Lyme Regis, as an idea lets use Lyme Regis but that was ground based so lets put it on say a wooden base as opposed to brick.

The timber SB at Lyme Regis, along with its companion at Combpyne, was a L&SWR Type 6 box. Apart from the only known elevated exception at Amesbury Junction, the Type 6 boxes (and the earlier Type 5) were designed specifically as ground-level wooden structures mounted on a (very) dwarf brick plinth. As such, they contained ground-level 'knee' frames rather than the more conventional type installed in elevated boxes. If your intention is to model a more elevated design, then I would suggest that you might wish to consider a different prototype.

Edited by RailWest

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some more pics.

I have made a few more trees and added to the layout, some rather large ones at that

It's just down to the detailing bits now. I actualy ran a train at the weekend and seeing nothing has been run for months it all worked perfectly. Just a good clean of the track.

Looking up the line from the platform

post-13496-0-12305500-1378110584_thumb.jpg

A drivers view coming out of the fiddle yard

post-13496-0-29846300-1378110651_thumb.jpg

Across the river

post-13496-0-99213700-1378110719_thumb.jpg

Between the houses

post-13496-0-94283000-1378110765_thumb.jpg

view of signal box from across the river, i seem to spend a lot of time looking across the river

post-13496-0-69810000-1378110864_thumb.jpg

Looking across the farm gate. The railway runs just behind the wood store towards the Fiddle yard 

post-13496-0-91803300-1378111080_thumb.jpg

Thatch cottage firmly planted

post-13496-0-28741500-1378111125_thumb.jpg

I have some more but not got round to resizing them yet so will post those later in the week.

Colin

• Like 6

The second batch as promised.

The local coal merchant delivering coal to Edwin the local Blacksmiths. Did he stop at the Bridge Inn on the way ? It's a long slog up the hill. 

post-13496-0-06301000-1378219744_thumb.jpg

Almost ready for winter just a couple more logs to chop up.

post-13496-0-27221700-1378219966_thumb.jpg

Looking up stream towards the hills.

post-13496-0-14458900-1378220038_thumb.jpg

The Engine shed. this is the second one, the first one, a wooden structure burnt down one night. It's cold in there in the winter, someone keeps leaving the doors and windows open

post-13496-0-86277700-1378220119_thumb.jpg  

Just sitting by the river admiring the view, really must get back to work.

post-13496-0-61003800-1378220331_thumb.jpg

The view from Mrs Hayter's garden as she hangs out the washing. She'll be wondering where i am, don't tell her i'm sat by the river admiring the view.

post-13496-0-08844400-1378220414_thumb.jpg

All very quiet at the moment, Bet the Bridge Inn is busy.

post-13496-0-66164300-1378220632_thumb.jpg

Thats all folks.

will see if i can pull the layout away from the wall and take some more from the other side. It gives a whole new perspective.

It has taken many hours and much patients to get to this stage.

So what's next. Well, we have lots of detailing bits to do, Rolling stock to build and generally operating it as it should be, some sort of timetable perhaps.

Hardly a wheel has turned whilst building it apart from the initial track testing stage. The fiddle yard is now complete. 

Colin

• Like 4