Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

I doubt the cost of unpacking the old boxes, stripping the shells, sending them back to China, having specific spray masks just to cover the yellow, then shipping back to the UK, re-assembling then re-packing would be more cost effective than running a new batch of shells to the existing print masks and sending here to swap....

IF there were any moves of this kind, I agree that your way of dealing with it would be the more logical.

However, the existence of any "strategic reserve" of yellow-nosed Blue Pullmans is pure speculation.

There are undoubtedly quite a few "leftovers" of that version spread around the retail trade in ones and twos but Bachmann will have already been paid for them and they are somebody else's problem.

John

I don't know how close the new Collectors edition of the BP is to being released, but its box was on display on the Bachmann stand at Ally Pally today.

It was inside the glass cabinets on the same side as the Thomas stuff.

Just the box though and I'm assuming there wasn't anything inside it.

Converting a full yellow end back to blue/white is really quite easy to do for someone who has reasonable respray skills and the yellow models have been on offer new for some very low prices - I paid less than £200 a year ago but they have crept back up to around £300 now!  Add a pot of Railmatch paint and Fox transfers and you are there.  The most difficult part is trying to prise the shell free of the chassis without damaging all those delicate parts.  The Triang example had just one big screw and it fell apart!!! 

RE: Tri-ang BP...don't you also have to remove, or at least pull out a bit, the front buffers to free the chassis from the body?

Then one very big screw to let the motor bogie part from the chassis.... ;)

Well yes but the chassis was/is so flexible on the motor/dummy car (no seating at the front to give it any stiffening) that it was safer to just bend it a little to allow the buffer ends to clear the plastic retainer than risk splitting the buffer housing!  When you've pulled apart as many as I have you find out these little tricks, chuckle!  I still haven't put a driver in my Bachmann cab for fear of wrecking it.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adb

Not sure about your question - I guess a lot of us will have taken the chips out and replaced them with the blanking plates provided by Bachmann as part of the set.

..........On a side note anyone out there who's removed the DCC chip and run it on DC on the current released versions ?

You can see two Blue Pullmans here running on DC with blanking plates fitted instead of chips.

Ray

Thanks Adb

If you are interested there are some details and pictures here on getting inside the Blue Pullman.

... I was reluctant to start taking the chips out (considering the cost of this) as I understood the chips we're required regardless of mode of operation.
If it's happy enough with a blanking pin in both ends then that's me solved.

You will need some thin card and a bit pf patience.  Otherwise it is a straightforward screw driver job.

Some of us had to go back and too inside to solve all manner of issues. Some of the early models had running issues with the driving wheels being out of gauge.  The wheels and stub axles are a force fit inside the nylon gear.  If the wheel set is out of gauge the stub axle and one wheel need to be pulled off the gear and then the stub axle pushed further into the wheel - I used a G clamp.  You must not squeeze the complete wheel set as this will wreck the nylon gear.

Yes it is all quite expensive but one of the best models of all time i would say.

Good luck

Regards

Ray

• 1 year later...

The new release is in stock at Kernow. RRP is now £599!, although retailers will discount that, Kernow show £509.99

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51162/30-425-Bachmann-Midland-Pullman-Train-Pack

Nice box, but for the £200 ish price difference from the first release, I am happy with the box I have.

Still nice to see this excellent model getting another production run.

Jamie

The new release is in stock at Kernow. RRP is now £599!, although retailers will discount that, Kernow show £509.99

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51162/30-425-Bachmann-Midland-Pullman-Train-Pack

Nice box, but for the £200 ish price difference from the first release, I am happy with the box I have.

Still nice to see this excellent model getting another production run.

Jamie

They will sell a few, but maybe not as many as they did in the first release. 

Archived