Shadow's 2010 Challenge

Shadow

This is the plan of the layout that I will attempt for the challenge next year.

Its pretty much a copy of one of Iain Rice's layouts, "Shadwell", from his book "Designs for Urban Layouts"

Total size is 2ft x 8ft, with the concave front it comes in at around 18002 inches, so allows a fiddle yard/traverser of 200ish inches.

The track shown will be on an elevated section, with occupied arches below.

More details to come.

post-3744-12598795186243_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just started baseboards last weekend, but ended up in hospital having my appendix taken out sad.gif

Still, at least I got in before all the broken arms and legs!

Just out so will have to wait a few days to get back to normal, but have been signed off for two weeks

so may get some time to do something later.

Just started baseboards last weekend, but ended up in hospital having my appendix taken out sad.gif

Ow ! wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Not the best thing to happen, even if it does appear to be routine to the medical staff it is a one off shock to you. On the plus side, you will never have to go through that trauma again :)

Don't go lifting anything heavy (like baseboards) for a while.

On the plan - I think you are going to have a problem with a traverser type of FY attached at such a sharp angle in fact even cassette system will be awkward. To operate any of these type of FY there needs to be a cut in the track at 90' or close - it will be made even more difficult with a point immediately following the cut.

Would it not be better to swap the double track engine shed to the front of the baseboard putting the track exit to the rear where it would end correctly square to the edge of the baseboard? The added advantage would be the shed acting as a scenic break.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest pictures with legs fitted.

As you can see in the second picture, it's current location is in the loft.

Quite a bit of space up there, and have had it lagged out with insulation.

Even got some old carpet down, and the standard piles of rubbish :rolleyes:

post-3744-12645726202726_thumb.jpg

post-3744-12645726475352_thumb.jpg

Archived