The changing face of Bristol

Sorry, I was just explaining that the platforms had extended for the full length of the building(s)...

No need to apologise, it wasn't meant as a criticism, more a quirk of mine that I can rarely resist reminding folk of how much railway history goes ignored by many of us.

Nick

Bit hard to tell from the aerial photography but the total length of the Brunel and Digby Wyatt sheds looks to be around 200m and I think the westernmost 50m may never have had plaforms as it seems to be narrower. So I think they'll have to use as much as they can of both parts to get long enough platforms without widening the river bridge.

That very westernmost part was, I believe, originally built as a carriage shed rather than being part of the "Brunel shed" proper, although the two parts are contemporaneous. I'm not sure if the platforms were ever extended into it. The Brunel shed proper, with the famous hammerbeam roof, is the "fat bit" on aerial photos, and the Digby Wyatt shed (which is the part still used as a car park, and is contemporaneous with the main train shed) is the long thin bit on the right.

Edit: there are plans on the old Templot website showing that the platform roads did extend into the carriage shed after the Digby Wyatt extensions were built, at least - see http://www.templot.com/forum/view_topic.php?id=542

Edited by ForestPines
  • Like 1

This thread is bringing back some memories.

To give a little view of how this side of Temple Meads used to look

here are a few pictures I took from the TOPS office window.

post-7081-0-21612800-1323434456_thumb.jpg

Temple Meads Goods, saturday 5th Jan 1980 with 08218 (East End Pilot) and 08644 (West End Pilot)

the pilots are stabled for the weekend. Not only has Temple Meads Goods gone, but in the mid background

the Distillers plant has been closed demolished and rebuilt on. Gardiners store remains.

post-7081-0-20197500-1323434816_thumb.jpg

The Kingsland Road pilot 08900 collects 2 Cov-ABs from the NCL shed,

they were probably loaded one each for NCL Glasgow and Edinburgh, to be forwarded

on the West Depot - Mossend Freightliner/Speedlink pioneer service. 10/5/80.

The shed has gone, NCL has gone, so probably has everything else.

post-7081-0-46841400-1323434981_thumb.jpg

31258 stands on the High Level sidings having arrived off the 3B10 Premium Parcels from Paddington.

It is standing in front of the disused Temple Meads Goods Yard Signalbox.

It was 24th June 1980, the station shunters refused to uncouple the van because of the mini-plows on the 31.

It was shunted out of the way to await a resolution of the dispute.

In the background can be seen presflos on Avonside Wharf, which is also long gone.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 12

No need to apologise, it wasn't meant as a criticism, more a quirk of mine that I can rarely resist reminding folk of how much railway history goes ignored by many of us.

Nick

Thats OK Nick,

I think I have the books to enable me to name the buildings properly, but was guilty of rushing an un-researched reply.

You are right about how much we forget, and some of it from comparatively recently, I do admire the depth of knowledge on this forum.

cheers

From that I think you could get two platforms along the entire length of the shed (assuming you were allowed to use Brunel's part) right up to the building fronting Temple Gate. They could then take a 10-car HST or IEP equivalent, and you could possibly add some shorter platforms as well further east. I agree there's extra space on the bridge for at least one track, but not for two tracks with platforms which is what you'd need if the trains stood this far out.

I believe the intention is to run four London trains per hour after electrification, with two of them fasts via Parkway. These would run into the new platforms to avoid most of the throat conflicts. For similar reasons I assume the slower trains via Bath would continue to use the high-numbered platforms.

• RMweb Gold
there are plans on the old Templot website showing that the platform roads did extend into the carriage shed after the Digby Wyatt extensions were built, at least

Still on the current Templot Club web site: http://85a.co.uk/for...opic.php?id=542

You are welcome to make fresh replies.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
This thread is bringing back some memories.

To give a little view of how this side of Temple Meads used to look

here are a few pictures I took from the TOPS office window

Absolutely fantastic shots - thanks very much indeed for posting these - just a short while before I began my own career in Bristol...

• RMweb Gold

From that I think you could get two platforms along the entire length of the shed (assuming you were allowed to use Brunel's part) right up to the building fronting Temple Gate. They could then take a 10-car HST or IEP equivalent, and you could possibly add some shorter platforms as well further east. I agree there's extra space on the bridge for at least one track, but not for two tracks with platforms which is what you'd need if the trains stood this far out.

I believe the intention is to run four London trains per hour after electrification, with two of them fasts via Parkway. These would run into the new platforms to avoid most of the throat conflicts. For similar reasons I assume the slower trains via Bath would continue to use the high-numbered platforms.

As I said earlier, there is still an awful lot of water to flow under numerous bridges and many discussions and consultations to have, before any decisions are made regarding any potential future development at Bristol TM. It's far too premature to start saying 'this will happen' or 'that will be the case'.

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic shots - thanks very much indeed for posting these - just a short while before I began my own career in Bristol...

Cheers Captain,

I have found a couple more shots, which tie in with earlier posts about the date of the relaying of the sidings.

There were 5 sidings when I first came across them, the 2 longest being the ones that were once the goods

lines to the docks over the bridge in the earlier post. After relaying only 3 shorter sidings remained.

First I have one more of the Temple Meads Goods Yard signal box, off hand I don't know anything about its history.

Why did I cut it's chimneys off?

post-7081-0-32542800-1323454592_thumb.jpg

Temple Meads Goods Yard box 10/5/80.

Also a couple of photos taken with my 'Kodak Brownie', if only I had a better camera, or took more shots.

But as Sir Peter Parker once said "hindsight is the best sight of all".

post-7081-0-13962800-1323454884.jpg

Crane 353 during relaying operations 19/6/79

post-7081-0-48147900-1323454939.jpg

Another view from the TOPS office window, with relaying under way.

The vehicles are parked in the Panel Box car park. Saturday 23/6/79.

post-7081-0-31709700-1323455240.jpg

31422 with an engineers train for East Depot, during relaying work on the High Level Sidings 17/7/79.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 9

High Level looks a seriously strange box. Downstairs doesn't look like a locking room - was it perhaps a messroom for the shunters? Was there much in the way of signalling controlled from here? Perhaps it was power signalled as part of the GWR's scheme so didn't need a locking room.

• RMweb Gold

High Level looks a seriously strange box. Downstairs doesn't look like a locking room - was it perhaps a messroom for the shunters? Was there much in the way of signalling controlled from here? Perhaps it was power signalled as part of the GWR's scheme so didn't need a locking room.

As far as I can trace Temple Meads Goods Yard Signalbox did not have any fixed signals with the possible exception of a slot on the Temple Meads East signal which read towards it. It certainly had at least one STOP Board and a Signalman whose main duty seems to have been working the token instrument for the branch to Wapping Wharf and authorising various movements in the vicinity of the 'box and on the branch itself.

I presume it quite likely that it may have had some signals prior to the 1930s resignalling but I cannot immediately find any information about that period.

• Like 1

Out of interest, am I correct in thinking the main traffic in the vans on the Speedlink service was tobacco in some form or other? At one time (until 1976, according to Cooke), there was a separate 'tobacco warehouse' on the city-centre side of the main goods depot.

If it was it would probably be traffic for WD & HO Wills, but I could not be certain.

There was a separate TOPS commodity code for tobacco, but I can't remember using it.

I joined Bristol TOPS in October 1978, the traffic was only 1 or 2 Covs to each destination.

I think the traffic would have ceased fairly soon after that shot was taken.

There was underground storage in the shed accessed by a lift, I think wine may also have been stored there.

cheers

As far as I can trace Temple Meads Goods Yard Signalbox did not have any fixed signals with the possible exception of a slot on the Temple Meads East signal which read towards it. It certainly had at least one STOP Board and a Signalman whose main duty seems to have been working the token instrument for the branch to Wapping Wharf and authorising various movements in the vicinity of the 'box and on the branch itself.

I presume it quite likely that it may have had some signals prior to the 1930s resignalling but I cannot immediately find any information about that period.

Thanks Mike,

I have recaptioned the photos with the correct name of the box.

cheers

Some views of Bristol during the Balloon Fiesta taken from the air. There are views over the Harbour, Temple Meads, Queen's Square, Clifton Triangle - can't remember if the Ashton Bridge is on it.

Great photos! You do have a shot with the Ashton Bridge in, along with the Cumberland Basin and the harbour entrance lock. I'm sure my old flat is in there as well somewhere, albeit not close enough to be recognisable.

It looks like an extremely thin box to my eyes! Hardly enough room for there to be a frame in it - and if there was you'd probably feel you were going to go through the back wall on every pull.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see a "Toad" in use as late as 1979. I had no idea they survived so long.

They survived in engineer's use long after they were banned from traffic use (late 1965 I think, certainly no later than mid 1966). However, as I've probably related previously, I had occasion c1975/76 to 'have a few words' with one of my Guards who had snaffled one for use on a freight train claiming that 'there were no traffic vans in the yard and I didn't want to leave the traffic and come back light engine'. But it was a cold, frosty, day and that might just have influenced his choice ;)

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see a "Toad" in use as late as 1979. I had no idea they survived so long.

As Mike says they survived much longer in engineering use. I was watching a DVD the other day and noticed one in use sometime in summer 1990.

This thread really is a fascinating read especially the thoughts about the potential reuse of the old station. That would be an exciting prospect but as the Captain says this is a very long way from happening at the moment. Doesn't stop you hoping / dreaming though.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

More changes to the railway scene in Bristol... taken a couple of weeks or so ago, as I walked down the slope from Temple Meads to the office, I realised that the old brick office block 'Collett House' had finally been demolished (and not a moment too soon, some might say!):

post-57-0-29135900-1338842243.jpg

post-57-0-94567500-1338842253.jpg

post-57-0-97791100-1338842263.jpg

I wonder how many of us on here have had some involvement with that building over the years?

• Like 2