The changing face of Bristol

• RMweb Premium

More changes to the railway scene in Bristol... taken a couple of weeks or so ago, as I walked down the slope from Temple Meads to the office, I realised that the old brick office block 'Collett House' had finally been demolished (and not a moment too soon, some might say!):

post-57-0-29135900-1338842243.jpg

I wonder how many of us on here have had some involvement with that building over the years?

With reference to the building in the back ground, it looks like the former "Royal Mail" building is closed. That is a real shame as some time I feel that mail will eventually go back to a much smaller rail serves :offtopic:

Terry

Evidently I missed this topic when it came round first, so I am glad that it has been resurrected.

Post 65 mentions the Ashton swing bridge over the New Cut at the western end of the harbour. I took some photos of this when it was being used for the "park and ride" shuttle service that operated during the Festival of the Sea in 1996(?). I am not sure that it was used again afterwards and I understand that it is no longer in a state that would allow it to be used for rail traffic any more. Difficult to imagine that the upper level provided the bridge for the main road from Bristol to Weston-super-Mare. post-9472-0-40215200-1339443065_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-54880800-1339443083_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-76867700-1339443109_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-24608900-1339443317_thumb.jpg

The final photo shows the loco that had been borrowed from the East Somerset at Cranmore for the occasion - Brighton E tank, formerly Burgundy (what a nice name) and, of course, the nearest Brighton loco to this part of the world!

Best wishes

Eric

post-9472-0-81538800-1339443338_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I always thought it as much a part Temple Meads as the actual station buildings - now just a derelict shell awaiting restoration

How true, think how many photos of locos running onto or out of Bath Road have had this building as a backdrop,

cheers

I took this photo at Lawrence Hill in the late 80's. I have not been back to Bristol for 20 years but looking at google map It's all gone now.

Most of that shot is now a supermarket and car park. The only things still standing are the terraces in the background - I recognise the one with the odd middle window which looks rather too low down.

Found this one as well Bristol on a rainy day (Nothing new there then!) Late 80's. Can't remember the name of the road, but I would park up there for my lunch. Happy days.

That is Cotswold Road, Bedminster - the entrance to Bedminster station is the white-painted wall by the underbridge.

Post 65 mentions the Ashton swing bridge over the New Cut at the western end of the harbour. I took some photos of this when it was being used for the "park and ride" shuttle service that operated during the Festival of the Sea in 1996(?). I am not sure that it was used again afterwards and I understand that it is no longer in a state that would allow it to be used for rail traffic any more.

There are still rails on the bridge, connected at the north end to the Bristol Harbour Railway, but they are in a very bad state and heavily overgrown with brambles; the track has been taken up from the southern end of the bridge onwards.

I always thought it as much a part Temple Meads as the actual station buildings - now just a derelict shell awaiting restoration

In January, I found that the sun was rising just as I was changing trains during the morning commute. It lit the building up rather beautifully:

Derelict sorting office, Temple Meads, Bristol

When I was scanning some long mislaid slides that were re-discoverd earlier this year I came across these, unfortunately they were taken when my memory was still in good working order so no notes as to what, or when, the subject was exist.

Firstly the previously mentioned bridge

post-5286-0-60618500-1339452232.jpg

Secondly this is what the people were waiting for

post-5286-0-98580100-1339452327.jpg

Hopefully someone else can provide the details

• Like 1

First I have one more of the Temple Meads Goods Yard signal box

(Rivercider)

Here is a shot of Temple Meads Goods Yard signal box when it was in use in 1963

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/7368217354/in/photostream

think how many photos of locos running onto or out of Bath Road have had this building as a backdrop,

(Rivercider)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/6841446408/

First I have one more of the Temple Meads Goods Yard signal box

(Rivercider)

Here is a shot of Temple Meads Goods Yard signal box when it was in use in 1963

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

think how many photos of locos running onto or out of Bath Road have had this building as a backdrop,

(Rivercider)

http://www.flickr.co...eam/6841446408/

That's an earlier version of the Post Office building, isn't it? I did a fortnight on the third floor (South-West Distribution, IIRC) at Christmas 1974- excellent views over Bath Road and the western end of Temple Meads. My belated apologies for anyone's Christmas cards that arrived late when I was distracted...

Hopefully someone else can provide the details

I'm only guessing, but would they have been in conjunction with the GW 150 stuff in 1985? I seem to remember there were various steam trains only the docks and to Portishead.

They survived in engineer's use long after they were banned from traffic use (late 1965 I think, certainly no later than mid 1966). However, as I've probably related previously, I had occasion c1975/76 to 'have a few words' with one of my Guards who had snaffled one for use on a freight train claiming that 'there were no traffic vans in the yard and I didn't want to leave the traffic and come back light engine'. But it was a cold, frosty, day and that might just have influenced his choice ;)

Why were toad brakes banned from normal traffic ?

Regards

Great Western,

I had two major spotting terms at Temple Meads, the first one was between April 84 - Sept 87 and May 91 - Mar 93, happy days indeed, especially on a Summer Saturday.

All these images bring back so much happy memories.

I had two major spotting terms at Temple Meads, the first one was between April 84 - Sept 87 and May 91 - Mar 93, happy days indeed, especially on a Summer Saturday.

All these images bring back so much happy memories.

My first unaccompanied trip to a location outside the Southern (whilst everyone else went to Bristol Zoo) was in 1972 to Temple Meads - wonderful place !!

My first unaccompanied trip to a location outside the Southern (whilst everyone else went to Bristol Zoo) was in 1972 to Temple Meads - wonderful place !!

I think you had the better deal than going to the zoo. Westerns or gorillas...Its a no brainer really, although in my first stint it was peaks and fifties, still far better than a poxy zoo :sungum:

A view of Temple Meads taken last August from a balloon. Collet house is middle right hand side of the photo.

http://www.flickr.co...157627305087491

Temple Meads on right hand side of this photo on the same day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16582147@N07/6064568537/in/set-72157627305087491

Ashton Swing Bridge and Cumberland Basin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16582147@N07/6042541069/in/set-72157627305087491

Castle Class engine,  5029 Nunney Castle at St Philips Marsh, ready to haul The Weymouth Seaside Express.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16582147@N07/6041468938/in/set-72157627305087491

King Class engine - 6024 King Edward I at Barton Hill.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16582147@N07/6041522358/in/set-72157627305087491

Edited by mow
adding information re locomotives in photographs

There were but I don't think a Black 5 was used on any of them.

The Middleton Press volume that covers the Bristol Harbour lines includes some photos of GW 150, which all feature LMS mogul 46443 - although that is not to say that other locos did not appear.

The issue of Railway Bylines for August 2000 also covers the Bristol Harbour Railway and mentions another special in 1984 for the World Wine Fair - but this reached Wapping Wharf topped and tailed by a pair of Class 37s.

Best wishes

Eric

Ah, Bath Road depot...........the ONLY shed on BR where I was actually told to F. Off.......and that was even before we could open our mouths to ask permission.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...