Railway footage in feature films and television...

Thought of another example just now.... 'The One That Got Away' with Hardy Kruger as a captured Luftwaffe pilot who does a runner on Blighty soil, some scenes were filmed on the Birmignham 'cut off' route at either Gerrards Cross or Beaconsfield, I forget which.

• 2 weeks later...

And the engine shed and coaling tower at Didcot are quite recognizable (in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows).

At one point there's a very visible shot of a GWR number plate as bold as the brass it was cast in. ...it might have been 6106.

Seeing it again on a TV ad over the weekend, it certainly is 6106.

This afternoon a Poirot Murder On The Blue Train,BR standard five on front of foreign coaches probably filmed at Peterborough ,shot at Paris looked like Marylebone before all the mods took place nice shot of overall roof night shot very atmospheric.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall reading somewhere that BR wanted all the film companies to use Marylebone - unless very large amounts of money were thrown at them. Filming is very disruptive.

Best, Pete.

Windsor was of course another favourite back in double line, multiple platform, days as it could readily portray a 'large' station. I don't know what happened in later years but even in the late 1960s all filming jobs were charged in the relevant Divisional offices and you basically put all the costs together and whopped on what you thought was an appropriate 'profit' which as often as not depended on how well off the production team sounded over the 'phone. But if you could get them the right facilities it was money for old rope in lots of cases.

The Beatles "A Hard Day's Night' is the one I always remember, extensive use of Marylebone at the beginning - including hoards of screaming young girls. Then on board a train to Manchester!

One of the only "pop" films that still bears watching all these years later mainly due to the skill of Director, Richard Lester.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Three films that are almost all railway are

La Bete Humaine starring Jean Gabin which was filmed on the Paris-Le Havre main line and starts with a terrific sequence on the footplate of a Ouest-Etat Pacific including the taking of water from troughs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QoNL_yf62A&feature=related.

Bataille de Rail which is a fictionalised account made immediately after the end of the occupation and released in 1945 of the Resistance Fer (French Railway Resistance) particularly during the period after D-Day when they were doing their best to disrupt German communications. A lot of the action sequences inspired those in John Frankenheimer's 1964 film "The Train" starring Burt Lancaster but Bataille de Rail but there is a spectacular derailment and really good footage showing the behind the scenes operation of the railway in that era .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUY22ESzmEQ

The Last Train 1973 ( Le Train in Fr) starring Romy Schneider and Jean Louis Trignitant as two people fleeing from the advancing Germans in 1940 on an evacuation train that crosses France to La Rochelle. Some really good shots of the the train hauled by ex PO 4-6-0 230G353 . The plot is based on a Georges Simenon short story but I think it is actually better than the original and the ending is incredibly moving.

David

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bad day at black rock - Spencer Tracy

And one I watched yesterday

Press for time - Norman wisdom nice shot of a green DMU and a green 08 on a short freight both look as if they've been cleaned. Does anyone know where the fictitious town of Tinmouth was filmed?

It always rains on a Sunday - 1950s Ealing comedy

a common sight on many "Poirot" episodes are standard 5's mocked up to look like european locos.

- Industrial revelations

- many programs made by the late great Fred Fibnah

- Micheal Mortillo's great british railway journeys

- Railway walks with Julia bradbury

- the two Barnstaple to Bideford episodes of James May's toy stories

- many episodes of Midsumer murders

- the recent Stella artois advert

The Beatles "A Hard Day's Night' is the one I always remember, extensive use of Marylebone at the beginning - including hoards of screaming young girls. Then on board a train to Manchester! One of the only "pop" films that still bears watching all these years later mainly due to the skill of Director, Richard Lester. Best, Pete.

I think, if you look closely at Hard Days Night that they are getting off at Marylebone as well !

Still reckon the Great St Trinian's Train Robbery is my favourite filmed on the Longmoor Military Railway.

RS

• RMweb Premium

And one I watched yesterday

Press for time - Norman wisdom nice shot of a green DMU and a green 08 on a short freight both look as if they've been cleaned. Does anyone know where the fictitious town of Tinmouth was filmed?

According to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060857/ Tinmouth is Teignmouth

Adrian

Edited by figworthy

I know it's already been mentioned before, one of my favourite films, Train Of Events, loco shed scenes filmed at my favourite shed - Willesden, not Camden as mentioned before, but there is a shot of 1B from the lineside.