Dapol Easi-shunt magnetic couplings in N

Andy Y

hi Dave,

can you please return these directly to me at Dapol as i am anxious to see if there might be a miss mold on yours i can sort out form happening on others?

i will of course replace them for you.

cheers

Dave

Dave,

That's kind of you.Shall I send them to?

FOA Dave Jones

Gledrid Industrial Park, Chirk, Wrexham, LL14 5DG

Cheers

Dave

Hmm, we seem to have a post saying they should be shorter, closely followed by one saying they should be longer! I guess as most other couplings, even the Rapido, are available in a range of lengths then the new one needs this too.

I would be surprised if a longer version is needed for most stock fitted with NEM pockets. With mine in use on 228mm curve the buffers of the grain wagons were still way apart. OK they do have close coupler mounts. I also tried them on the two driving cars of a 4CEP and the separation was still fine. In some cases the ideal combination may be one of the current length and one of a shorter length as with Rapidos and Dapol non-working buckeyes. Obviously there will be some instances when even a super super long one would be needed (Farish VGA?) but I would then start getting concerned about the horizontal rigidity of the coupler head anyway. This would definitely affect uncoupling performance and possibly the hold of the couplers on tight curves and/or in long trains.

Mike

Edited by mikeharvey22

• RMweb Premium

I got mine to work with about a millimeter (maybe slightly more) cut away from the trackbed - plenty of room for cosmetic sleepers :D

SI856727.jpg

It even worked through the ballast:

SI856728.jpg

I'm hoping they'll still work when I glue the ballast, but I can't see why they wouldn't... (he hopes)

I need to think very carefully about where I put them, to minimise the risk of them uncoupling when I don't want it. Also, they will couple and uncouple from the normal microtrains couplers - which is a good thing :D

The only minor niggle i have is that the pin sticks quite a long way up from the top of the bogie, which fouls the coupling hook on the 67:

SI856725.jpg

Will cutting the top of the pin affect the operation?

Just waiting for the normalcoupligboxNEMconversion kit to come and I'll be a truly happy camper.

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

Thanks for the pics Simon.

They certainly give a lot to think about! I like the result you've come up with, but I do rather like a slightly more sparse ballast.

I guess I'm seeing a solution with taking a small rotary sander to the underside of the sleepers and leaving a channel that the magnet could sit in, without totally removing the original sleepers.......course thats no help when the track is laid already :'(

Still, there seems to be some room to manouver! I may treat myself next week if my local shop is stocking them. I do so badly want them to work out!

Regards

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I found that beneath Kato Unitrack (which is pretty thick) the magnet was too far from the pin to get reliable uncoupling. They work fine when positioned as per manufacturer's instructions I should add!

I am not sure why the trip pin sticks above the level of the coupler; early samples (ie on f/book) showed it flush. Perhaps future batches will incorporate this refinement.

cheers

Ben A.

Also, they will couple and uncouple from the normal microtrains couplers - which is a good thing :D

That is indeed a good thing. I must admit that I am quite suprised about this (in a good way) as I thought they were set at a different height from MT couplers.

Still, I am very pleased to hear it and I may try some experimenting of my own.

I found that beneath Kato Unitrack (which is pretty thick) the magnet was too far from the pin to get reliable uncoupling. They work fine when positioned as per manufacturer's instructions I should add!

Kato do make an uncoupling track intended for Microtrains couplers, with a built-in magnet. Has anyone tested that with Dapol couplers yet?

I received mine today and, unfortunately, one of the springs was loose in the pack. I have yet to risk attempting to replace it.

I was planning on initially installing the magnet in my Kato test track. Interesting to hear that it won't work mounted underneath as that was where I was going to start. Looking at the thickness of the magnet, I think it might fit OK if the sleepers are filed flat.

Edited by rjg

Kato do make an uncoupling track intended for Microtrains couplers, with a built-in magnet. Has anyone tested that with Dapol couplers yet?

I've got one in the post to me. I'll give it a try when I've got a pair of working couplings.

We did try Mr Simon's pair on my Kato Unitrack test track, and they worked on the Kato magnet, which is slightly longer than the Dapol one.

• RMweb Premium

That is indeed a good thing. I must admit that I am quite suprised about this (in a good way) as I thought they were set at a different height from MT couplers.

They are, but I tested the couplers on held in my fingers and held over the magnets and they worked, the only thing is the Dapol coupling is chunkier than the MT, but I can't see that being a problem. It was confirmation enough for me to put installing a MT into one of my non-NEM diesels onto my to-do list.

Yep I gave it a go before opening the Dapol magnet and it worked fine

Hope this all helps

Simon

I received my couplers on Friday and generally I'm very impressed with how they work.

My only concern is the springs. These do appear to pop out quite easilly and whilst they can be refitted the fine metal can become "kinked" in the process.

I think each pack of couplers should include some spare springs.

My only concern is the springs. These do appear to pop out quite easilly and whilst they can be refitted the fine metal can become "kinked" in the process.

Perhaps applying a fine dab of glue (or even paint) to one end will keep them held in place.

I received my couplers on Friday and generally I'm very impressed with how they work.

I think each pack of couplers should include some spare springs.

I've only got one pair and both are now non-operational. The first one had the spring loose in the pack on arrival and the second has now come off the pip on the coupling. I've tried fixing them but the spring is, of necessity, so small that I am finding it impossible to do. It may be something to do with my hands not being as steady as they used to be. I can only suppose that the second spring became detached either as I was installing the coupling or in normal use, although it hasn't been used very much as a single coupling isn't much use on it's own!

Either way, I am putting the coupling project on hold to see if the Farish version has a more secure spring fixing. Anyone know when they're likely to be available?

• RMweb Gold

I got my pack on Friday and opened the package (a lot of package for such small items).

The metal tail seems to be pushed up too far or are they meant to be much further up than a Microtrains coupler?

Didn't get chance to fit them to any stock yet though.

Ian

I got my pack on Friday and opened the package (a lot of package for such small items).

The metal tail seems to be pushed up too far or are they meant to be much further up than a Microtrains coupler?

Didn't get chance to fit them to any stock yet though.

Ian

I think that the pin is the same length as the Microtrains one. But the Dapol coupler sits 1.5mm lower so to clear the track it needs to be pushed further upwards. Maybe my old Xurons will cut through the pin flush with the top of the coupler. All a bit academic for me at the moment as one of the springs in my pair has gone walkabout. I may have an old Microtrains axle end spring that might make a suitable replacement. When I get my bulk packs i will be securing the ends of the springs with some varnish to reduce the risk of losing them. Otherwise this could turn out to be an expensive venture.

Mike

Edited by mikeharvey22