helm

Been a bit distracted for the last couple of weeks,had to go to work!

Which means there's a bit of a panic on getting helm ready for Kendal show at the end of the mouth.

One of the things on my "jobs to do list" is finishing weathering my freight cars.

first up is an Athearn bb 50' railbox

post-13979-0-36908900-1327006086_thumb.jpg

Next is a Roundhouse 50' hi-cube

post-13979-0-24995500-1327006142_thumb.jpg

then a proto1000 newsprint car

post-13979-0-73822000-1327006188_thumb.jpg

and last is a McKean ACFgrain car,might have gone over the top with this,but it will have to do till after the show!

post-13979-0-98904200-1327006233_thumb.jpg

just another 3 to do over the weekend,then track to clean and box everything up.

If anyones coming to Kendal,Helm is in the Lakeland room upstairs.

Fingers crossed everything runs ok!!

Ray

from deepest west cumbria

• RMweb Gold

Ah well cant win everything but there used to be good pubs in Kendal when we stayed there some years ago, so I am sure you will find enough.

We are doing the Wellington in Brum tonight as its a show free weekend for me!

I see on your other post that you have the Barrow Berr Monsters about... say hello to them from me.

Ian

... there was the usual "its only an american layout" but i can live with that ...

I wonder what gave it away...??!!?? :D

I can never understand the "Insular" 'British-Only' mentality of a lot of Show Visitors.... they miss a great deal by dismissing layouts that are "Foreign". Whatever the prototype subject - and there can be some obscure subjects modelled!! - I like to look at every layout at Shows I visit, and even if the railway doesn't take my fancy, look at the modelling techniques used, or at least try and work out what the train movements (hopefully there IS movement!!) are portraying....

Will say "Hi!" at Worcester - looking forward to it!

Thinking of changing the stars & stripes for the union jack,then people may stop and look at the layout in stead of walking past.

Can't understand people, they pay all that money to get in and don't look at all the exhibits

when i go to a show i like to look at all the layouts and pick up ideas, how ever small,and ask the exhibitor questions

I get a lot of satisfaction when people stop and ask questions,there was one chap at Kendal who stopped for half an hour and ask how i made my lights,so he could use them on his model farm buildings,nothing to do with railways

Lets hope we can convert more people to world modeling??????

Ray

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that many years ago I wasnt interested in anything not English, until I started travelling abroad and travelling on foreign railways... that soon broadened my interests in my modelling to the point I now want to build models of many things I see in different countries.

I am tempted to put the Oxfordshire County flag up on Banbury and see how many people ask which country the layout is based on??

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want an easy "industry" for Helm, try this, the waste from a wheel true machine. A wheel trueing machine is a big lathe that turns the wheels of a locomotive while they are still under the locomotive and recontours the wheels to standard. The waste shavings are conveyored out of the building into a waiting gondola car. A chute coming out of the building and a gon loaded with shavings.

WheelTrue.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Its July,1987 and Helm leasing has won a major maintenance contract with General Electric.

Managing director and owner of Helm leasing Ray O'Neill said

" we were surprised as anyone to win this contract,we were bidding against some of the big players in the maintenance world,it's a five years contract to maintian any minor electrical and mechanical problems,with there new 100 strong B39-8 on hire to Burlington Northern,the contract will start at the end of the month,once our crews have got familiar with the B39-8"

GE have sent B39-8 8565 to Helm for crew training,before the contract starts at the end of July.

post-13979-0-64194700-1342023513_thumb.jpg

8565 on shed after arriving early this morning

Ray

Archived