helm

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Ray,

Tell us more about this loco!

I've been looking for a GATX/GMTX paint job for a while.

Thanks

Got myself another leaser on Sunday,it's ready for service,and will be running this weekend at Millom exhibition,if your in the area pop in and say hello

post-13979-0-29866200-1346171171_thumb.jpg

Ray

Got of Contikits Sunday,brand new,still had it's plastic wrap on,£45.00 !!!

It's a Atlas gp38,master decoder equipped

Been looking for a GATX myself for quite a while,would of liked the earlier livery,but at that price,i thought i'd take the risk,wouldn't work at first on dcc,then i found out you have to move the jumper plug on the circuit board so it will work on dcc,needs a good run in, still a little stiff,i'll us it as plant switcher over the weekend,that should help!

Don't know much history about it,think it was a ex PC GP38,which was re-bulit to a dash 2 by GATX,maybe wrong, i'm sure one of the guy's on here will have more details

Ray

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Helms out next weekend 1-2rd Nov at Merseyside MRE,Wallasey if your in the area call and say hellooooooo!!

For more details see there website www.merseysidemrs.co.uk also have a look at there HO layout they are building,this is right up my street www.homauchchunk.co.uk lovely modeling.

post-13979-0-98297000-1414178934_thumb.jpg

Hope to see you there

Ray

Only just seen this layout and its looking great! This is the sort of layout i'm now planning as an aside to my larger layout. Sorry if its already been said/asked but what are the buildings as they look brilliant!

Keep up the great work,

Lloyd.

Llyod

Didn't take any photos of the constuction of the buildings, they are made of 2mm MDF on a 10X10mm timber frame (same as 59th and rust) then Wills plain bond brick (p212) fix along the base,strips of plasticard (same thickness as Wills) are glued vertical along the building butting up to the top of the brick,after that Evergreen corrogated metal sheets (either 4527 or 4528,can't rememeber which) are glue to the strips overlaping the Wills bricks by a couple of brick coarses,this is all finished of with angle beads etc where needed.

Hope this helps

Ray

Thanks for the info. eep up the great work on the layout and come down south with it one day! Theres hardly any repair/maintainece based american layouts on the circuits down here. They're all either barren deserts or city industrial subs. THere are a few exceptions however...

Keep up the great work,

Lloyd

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know I sold HELM  at Derby, which is bad ,I now have no excusive left to stop a new build, if I get my mojo back that is!!!! (no, no, no, i'm not going down the O gauge route, as everyone was trying there hardest to convert me at Derby)

Thanks to Ian and Colin for covering the comfort breaks, if I hadn't drunk so much beer over the weekend I won't have need them!!! (Ian's fault he made me do it)

cracking show and venue, can't wait till next year (it will be May again and you know what that means it's " MILD month" if I must!!!!!)

Ray

P.S almost forgot a really big thanks to Chris Gilbert, for telling me the pit falls in how to use a router, we really need to get a life!!!!!!!!!

P.S almost forgot a really big thanks to Chris Gilbert, for telling me the pit falls in how to use a router, we really need to get a life!!!!!!!!!

Ahh! yes - routers - one of the devils more spectacularly uncontrolable inventions! Glad to hear you achieved your ambition to part with Helm - to continue the pantomime theme above, at least "It's behind you!"

• RMweb Gold

Well at least I can now say that I have operated Helm albeit moving a 40 tonner a few inches and trying to get it to in the other direction as its he first time I have used the lens system!!!

Hopefully you get your Mojo back especially after all those beers that I forced you to drink!!!!

Archived