• 6 months later...

Taken a few years ago now, but these cattle pens might still be there buried further in the undergrowth the other side of the road bridge at Yeovil Pen Mill

attachicon.gifCattlePens1.jpg

The pictures at yeovil pen mill haven't changed much, the only difference is a lot more vegetation. Next time I'm there I will check to see if the fence is still there!

Dan

I noticed last week that there is still a four-doll bracket signal, minus arms, in the trees to the north of the line between Guide Bridge and Hyde North. It's visible on Google Earth.

attachicon.gifGuide Bridge signal.JPG

There's a two doll(I think) bracket, complete with smoke shield  in the undergrowth between Whatstandwell and Cromford. Also, peering into the trees between the line and river quite a number of double telegraph poles can be seen. 

• RMweb Premium

Noticed a 'CARLISLE 225' milepost today - just off the north end of down platform at stonehaven!

Presumably the 'miles from Edinburgh' end at the site of kinnaber jn.?

Thanks to debs for the 'like', reminded me of this so looked up the 1969 ScR sec.app.

Miles measured from Edinburgh seem to end at Dundee where there is a 0 MP.

Miles northwards are measured from here as far as kinnaber jn., where the 'miles from carlisle' take over

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This just shows that even today you still get bits of the big four and br around!

And that is some nice stuff.

As for old chairs I heard that then mallard did her 126 mph run she was running on some old North Easten railway ones!

Great Northern, surely? In any event, these might well have not been that old, as the Grouping had only been a (relatively) few years previously. 

None of us were alive to see these parts of Brunel's GWR at Paddington, as they ware demolished in 1906.

Recently uncovered during Crossrail construction works, are the remains of the former engineering and loco workshops at Paddington station.

Link to an article complete with photos and a video are here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

None of us were alive to see these parts of Brunel's GWR at Paddington, as they ware demolished in 1906.

Recently uncovered during Crossrail construction works, are the remains of the former engineering and loco workshops at Paddington station.

Link to an article complete with photos and a video are here.

I think most of what has been uncovered on the site of Westbourne Park shed (closed 1906) is post Brunellian and it definitely isn't from the earliest broad gauge days as I think the 'Paddington Engine House' was on a different site although the original part of Westbourne Park was fairly early.

Strange though it may sound I have met someone who had started work there as an Engine Cleaner although by the time I met him (c.1980) he was a very old man and he didn't have much memory of the place  - he had left c.1905 on promotion to a Birmingham area shed.

• Informative/Useful 1

I think most of what has been uncovered on the site of Westbourne Park shed (closed 1906) is post Brunellian and it definitely isn't from the earliest broad gauge days as I think the 'Paddington Engine House' was on a different site although the original part of Westbourne Park was fairly early.

I've no idea how accurate they are, or not, but this what the Crossrail report say's....

The discoveries include foundations for Brunel engine sheds and workshops, dating from the 1850s and a 45ft turntable from the 1880s.

The broad-gauge engine shed was built in 1852/1853 and came into use from 1854 when Brunel's new Paddington station opened and engineering workshops were moved to Westbourne Park, with the area later becoming known as Paddington New Yard.

The engine shed was 202 metres long and had four tracks with inspection pits running along its full length. 

The turntable dates from 1881/1882 and was constructed by the Great Western Railways works at Swindon.

It was located at the western end of the engine shed, to which it allowed train engines access.

Within the brick super structure there was a wrought iron 'turning circle' decked with timber on which both broad gauge and standard gauge engines could be turned.

also....

The engine shed shows evidence of the change from 7 foot wide broad-gauge train tracks used by Brunel’s Great Western Railway, to the standard gauge tracks prescribed in an Act of Parliament in 1846 and widely implemented by the 1860s.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold

I've no idea how accurate they are, or not, but this what the Crossrail report say's....

Interestingly the dates differ slightly from those given by MacDermott who states that at 29 May 1854 '... the new engine house was not ready ...' but in a further report in February 1855 it was stated '... to be ready but not yet occupied ...' - it was seemingly occupied later that year which delayed the demolition of the original engine house and consequently, construction of the new goods depot.  The original Paddington engine house would appear to have stood roughly where the Novotel now stands, on the site of Paddington Goods.

Narrow gauge trains began using Paddington in 1861 although what I can't ascertain is the date of construction of the second shed building at Westbourne Park or the date when the other turntable was added but they are possibly post the arrival of the narrow gauge but perhaps the information below from Middleton Press might help?.

Some confusion possibly arises from dates given by Middleton Press in their 'Paddington to Ealing' volume which quotes 2nd March 1852 for the new shed (was that when work began perhaps?) which was replaced by another, with four parallel roads, on the same site, but no date is given for that.  Rather confusingly they then quote a shed with three standard gauge roads added in 1862 and then doubled in size in 1873 but a  photo caption describes that as the '1867 and 1873 shed'.

The 1895 OS map shows three buildings labelled as 'engine sheds' one of which has four dead end roads and doesn't appear in either of the illustrations in the Crossrail item so was possibly a workshop.  The left hand of the two through sheds - best seen in the black & white illustration in the Crossrail article - is described by Middleton as the '1867 and 1873' sheds  and indeed has 6 roads shown on the 1895 OS map.  The turntable pit which has been excavated was at the west end of the 1867 shed and on its eastern side was only connected to that shed according to the OS map. 

The other turntable was alongside the other shed and is just visible in the sepia photo - behind the 'Saint' which is standing outside that shed.

The building which appears in the sepia illustration in the Crossrail article, and has a very Brunellian end appearance (although Dean era running sheds were very similar), would appear to be on the site of the one which opened in 1855 and one of stills suggests that an inspection pit might have been reduced in width (the excavated pits are the ones in that building as far as I can make out i.  However one photo I have of a train passing the shed in the early 1900s shows a different roof profile towards the east end so I wonder if it was lengthened at that end at some time?

It would be interesting to see some reliably dated information about the changes over the years on the Westbourne Park site and some stuff might exist at Chippenham or have been at the old GW Records Office (now seemingly dispersed).

• RMweb Premium

There are quite a few reminders of the old "Underground" companies around

Here's another two:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZQfEL

http://goo.gl/maps/bAzxI

Or the good old Southern:

http://goo.gl/maps/GiRrY

http://goo.gl/maps/8J2QS

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1