59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

Got the small building in the corner finished,roof detail and a/c units done,need more a/c units from unit models

post-13979-0-28568700-1346352617_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Dave 1905 pointing out about the date on the building, i've changed this,hope this fits with the style of the building?

post-13979-0-53586800-1346352805_thumb.jpg

Took a photo of the pennsey local arriving today

post-13979-0-78974700-1346352934_thumb.jpg

I've got to go now and start packing HELM in to it's boxes ready for the weekend at Millom,thats if the've got the landslides of the roads,and theres no more rain.

Ray

• Like 4

Took a photo of the pennsey local arriving today

I've got to go now and start packing HELM in to it's boxes ready for the weekend at Millom,thats if the've got the landslides of the roads,and theres no more rain.

Ray

Good luck with the exhibition, its a fantastic looking layout.

Couple of questions, in your pictures, you Pennsy GP and 0-6-0 both look like the relatively recent Bachmann USA DCC on board locos, are you using DCC or no? I have both locomotives, but only have DC setups to test on, and haven't ever had a chance to see how the DCC behaves in either loco. My experience in limited testing is that the GP7 i have is going to be a great runner once it gets some time running under it's belt now that I'm done modifying it, but that the 0-6-0 is very temperamental with the track work on my layout which was laid 8ish years ago and is the first serious attempt at laying track i ever made. I'm curious to hear if my observations of your stock are correct, if you have DCC experience with them and what your sense is of their running characteristics.

Keep up the great work on the layout!

-Stephen

Hi Stephen

The gp7 is a excellent runner,up there with your Atlas/Kato,just lacks the detail (on my"to do list)

The o-6-oT it is a early one which has a Hornby R8249 decoder in,i added some weight (mouldable lead by a-line) to all the nooks and cranies,which has help with running and pulling,it runs ok 90% of the time,as long as you keep the pick ups and wheels clean.

This is not the layout i'm taking to the exhibition,it's my other one called HELM,this layout won't be finished till some time next year (or maybe sooner if it keeps on raining)

Ray

The gp7 is a excellent runner,up there with your Atlas/Kato,just lacks the detail (on my"to do list)

The o-6-oT it is a early one which has a Hornby R8249 decoder in,i added some weight (mouldable lead by a-line) to all the nooks and cranies,which has help with running and pulling,it runs ok 90% of the time,as long as you keep the pick ups and wheels clean.

This is not the layout i'm taking to the exhibition,it's my other one called HELM,this layout won't be finished till some time next year (or maybe sooner if it keeps on raining)

Ray

The nice thing about the "blank slate" with the limited detail on the Bachmann GP7 is that you can do what i did with my CNR4803 and get really accurate without having to remove a lot of wrong or incorrect details!! I look forward to seeing your detailing efforts on the Pennsy version whenever you get to it.

As for the 0-6-0, you know, i don't think i ever even checked the weight on mine, but I'm willing to bet that if i disassemble it and find a way to get some more weight into it that it will make a huge difference. I hadn't even thought about that to be honest, most of the Bachmann's i own are so heavy already that it being underweight never occurred to me (though it probably should have with the short wheelbase).

Ian

road clear, no more landslides (he says as it starts pouring down)

got most of the small building on the front of the layout done today,just needs more crates and people

post-13979-0-93710300-1346424609_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-94193500-1346424634_thumb.jpg

done a different roof covering on this one and a vine climbing up the side and on to the roof

post-13979-0-23144100-1346424621_thumb.jpg

Stephen

The detail on the gp7 will be added sometime, got another layout to build (boards allready built) when this one is finished,then i can sit down and detail my stock at leisure.

Ray

• Like 2

Not much done this week,run out of detailing bits,none of the traders at Millom had anything,but there again, did pick up my new toy at Millom show,one of the new Bachmann S4's, Erie #529, lovelly runner, and the turbo sound is brill,need some of the cv's tweaked a bit to cut the top speed etc.

post-13979-0-10168000-1346947245_thumb.jpg

just need a caboose to go with it now

Ray

• Like 3

S'funny, I picked up an S4 at the weekend too. I think it may just be my new favourite loco. Sounds great, only thing it needs to be perfect is grabs and replacement cab side windows, and all for under a ton. Jackpot!

(Westen Maryland livery for now, may stay that way or become one of the San Francisco pair...)

Got a couple of signs on the buildings to day,seeing its raining again

first up is "3 Crown Storage" general storage, loaded/empty box cars in/out

post-13979-0-90433100-1347305691_thumb.jpg

Next one is "Tino Tool" garden tools, boxcar loaded/empty in/out

post-13979-0-01095500-1347305786_thumb.jpg

both building are fix to the layout,also cut the hole through to the single track fiddleyard/headshunt

done this to help ease switching and for when i run my budd car passenger train

post-13979-0-17887800-1347305910_thumb.jpg

may do last 2 tomorrow depending on the weather!!

Ray

• Like 5

Thanks guys for all the kind remarks, i'm flattered

Ian

it's funny how you get in to a lull,then you see or do something which kickstarts you back in to action,i usualy find having been to a exhibition,picking ideas up gives me the urge,though i've not had many lulls with this layout,i'm really enjoying building it,its been a all new ball game building everything out of card and paper.

Pete

still can't make my mind up about name/names,may stick with one name and just change the railroad logos for each theme or have six different name boards,will let you know when i do.

Got the other big building name done today , just needs fixing to layout,this just leaves one to do (phew)

next building is "Goldberger Doll" Toy Dolls,Boxcars loaded/empty, in/out

post-13979-0-23987500-1347375880_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-10476000-1347375892_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-48601100-1347375903_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-33208100-1347375915_thumb.jpg

once again thanks for the kind remarks

Ray

• Like 4

Those "Industrial Buildings" are so typical of some around the Newark NJ area - one of which still has a giant beer bottle on its' roof (though the building itself has transformed into multiple small company use)!

Great stuff, Ray!

Best, Pete.

That looks very good. It does need an old shopping cart lying around somewhere though, probably in an alley with some galvanized garbage cans...

With regards to the window air conditioners, they are typically fitted by either raising the sash and fitting some form of wooden panel to fill the rest of the space, or by removing a pane and filling the space with wood (likely plywood offcuts, probably painted with whatever paint was lying around at the time). As they are usually self-installed, they would likely all have slightly different installations on the tenements. The one that came with my house was fitted in a sliding window with a piece of plywood cut to fill the gaps.

Adrian

Ian

Can't find any space for the beer bottle,unless i make a paper one and stick on the back scene!!

The only industry left to do is the small one on the front of the layout (the one with the open back),think i've got it sorted,trying to design the sign for it!!

Adrian

when did shopping carts start being used,does anyone make a model ??

Thanks about the a/c units, will modify when i get the rest to install.

Didn't do much last night but play trains check all my building were in gauge,took a couple of photo's of the test train,which also adds a splash of colour (another job to do weathering boxcars)

post-13979-0-71233400-1347430159_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-72803500-1347430176_thumb.jpg

You may notice there are 3 crowns on now,forgot to glue them on before i took the first picture,doh!!

I need a break from building model railroads,so have booked the weekend (22/23 SEPT) off with SWMBO for a luxury weekend in HALIFAX!!!(west yorkshire that is not Nova Scotia)

Well there is a model railway exhibition on!,i really do no how to spoil her,eh!!!

Ray

• Like 4

Next time try Halifax NS. Very interesting town and surrounding countryside absolutely beautiful.

I found it fascinating to find the sites involved with the World biggest Non-Nuclear Explosion too - specially where the anchor of the ship turned up several miles inland. The human side of it was very tragic. Most locals suffered eye injuries because of looking through windows at what they thought was just a ship fire.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure when shopping carts came into use but the following might be useful:

These may be a bit modern - http://www.shapeways...t-ho-scale.html

Preiser also do a pack of them.

Gold medal do an etched type

Ian

PS - some nice pubs in Halifax , Yorkshire - hope she likes them!!

Edited by roundhouse

Adrian

when did shopping carts start being used,does anyone make a model ??

They were certainly very common in the late '60s, at least around where I grew up (i.e. I can't remember not having them).

Ian listed the ones I found.

The Preiser one looks a little small for a standard North American cart - it should be able to hold a small child in the seat, about 8 paper bags of food in the basket, and a large bag of potatoes or a case of beer in the lower rack..

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle