59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

Ian, you must have been there in Winter - that's when you see it. It's an old area heating system mainly used in old apartment blocks. They had a spectacular blow out of a 48" mains a few years ago.

Most tenement style buildings still do not have sprinkler systems in New York so they need the hydrants (which get opened up on hot days leading to low water pressure over large parts of town - which certainly doesn't help if there is a fire).

Best, Pete.

Once again guys thanks for all the imput,keep it coming,now just got to persuade SWMBO that we have to watch the blues brothers again.

I also like watching American police dramas like "Cannon" (how sad),they always end up chasing the baddie's around downtown industrial areas and railroad yards (set dvd next time)

Got a shopping list for Halifax now,think i'll struggle with most of it,but you never know.

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Pete

I was trying to think of which TV series and thats the one - spot on!

Yes I think I was in NYC outside the Summer the time I saw the steam coming out of the manholes but I dont htink it was Winter time but could be wrong. Our more recent visits have been in the Summer time.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

All of those are Los Angeles or San Francisco locations, probably the same locations in each series. There is one bridge over a rail yard that has been in virtually every cop movie or TV series produced in Hollywood for the last 30 years. Watch "Rocky" for eastern urban, it was filmed in Phillie. In one scene he's running along Delaware Ave, along the docks.

Acording to the writer of Kojak all the scene setting, driving, and general outside scenes were filmed in NYC over a period of two weeks at the beginning of each season. By the last season the entire production had moved to NYC. Yes they had to fill in a couple of scenes in downtown LA - parts of which are remarkably similar to Brooklyn btw.

It still stands as what you would see in the US urban environment from 1973 to 1978 - we never suggested anything else, otherwise one is just nit-picking.

In other words it is good enough for a non-specific urban model of that time.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

I don't think it matters which city it is,probably all the back alleys will look the same,won't they???

Ian

don't think exhibition managers would appreciate steam coming out of the gratings,all those health and safety issuses!!!!!!!!!

suppose i could use dry ice,no forget that,that means more work.

Ray

When they are working on the system, Ray, they insert a little candy striped chimney which pokes out of the road about 8 feet high by about 10 inches in diameter, only a mere wisp usually escapes from this.

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_steam_system

Click on the "2007 New York City steam explosion" to find out what happens when things go wrong..........

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

I don't think it matters which city it is,probably all the back alleys will look the same,won't they???

Just depends on how much attention you pay to them. All diesels look alike too, don't they? 8-)

My favorites were in "Urban Cowboy" where Travolta is driving to the ###### tonk and you can see the mountains in the distance, from Houston or a low budget sci-fi flick set in the upper midwest and in the background, two blocks away, you can see palm trees.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

so far, we havent set any fire alarms off with the smoke coming out of some of our UP steamers on ROUNDHOUSE!

we have had layouts around us complaining that our smoke has affected their rails conductivity and running. However it didnt affect us and the smoke fluid is often used as a rail cleanet. It certainly works well on the G gauge in our garden.

Edited by roundhouse

Just depends on how much attention you pay to them. All diesels look alike too, don't they? 8-)

My favorites were in "Urban Cowboy" where Travolta is driving to the ###### tonk and you can see the mountains in the distance, from Houston or a low budget sci-fi flick set in the upper midwest and in the background, two blocks away, you can see palm trees.

In "Austin Powers" you can see the Santa Monica mountains just to the north of Regent Street, London......................

Btw you'll be able to use the "59th Street Bridge Song" for your layout aka "Feeling Groovy".........of course if you're like me it would drive you mad after ten minutes.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

Looks like i'm going to have to watch a lot of tele/films for ideas and cockups.

Done the layout sign today,to look like a American road sign (near enough that will do)

just the railroad logo's to find on internet,and some wat to attach them

post-13979-0-95437300-1348233724_thumb.jpg

not best photo,think auto focus has gone on the camera.

Ray

• Like 3

Not done much since my last post,except build/kitbash my team track crane from a old ratio kit i had from a failed british layout (pleased i got that out of my system),just need some cable for the hook and fix to the layout at a later date (knowing me i'll knock it flying while doing other things)

post-13979-0-28754700-1348652972_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-68875200-1348652984_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-99104300-1348652996_thumb.jpg

don't those cars need weathering,my to do list never seems to get smaller.

Ray

• Like 4

Ray

Hopefully I will see it before then??

The new 'Quarry Line' Brighton line layout that Mike is building is possibly going to Barrow in 2013 if it gets far enough done by early next year. WIll no doubt discuss with the beer monster this October.

I'm in the hands of the Gods (exhibition managers) for that one.

More fitting for Mal's post about J H Wright's 'Federal Street', i took a photo of a rather clean, Erie 'decapod' shunting the cement branch

post-13979-0-70201900-1348684109_thumb.jpg

Ray

• Like 2

Rust st building all fix now,just a couple more bits of detail to do and to finish the gap along the bottom of the buildings,(one of my pet hates),run out of detail stuff again, only thing i've got left are the switch stands.

post-13979-0-30450700-1348917400_thumb.jpg

photo of #9101 switching some empty coal hoppers, which are being use to transfer crushed stone up the cement branch, where they are building a new freeway

post-13979-0-33016400-1348917668_thumb.jpg

Ray

• Like 4

Hi Ray,

That is excellent work on the buildings. I am very impressed. If I may make a small observation, the fire escapes don't quite look right. usually the vertical descent ladder is only on the final flight from the 2nd (1st in UK) Floor to the 1st (Ground floor in UK) floor. Between the other floors the flights are angled.

I don't have any photos to show you, but I see if I can take a couple today before it gets too dark.

Andy