59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

I don't think it matters which city it is,probably all the back alleys will look the same,won't they???

Ian

don't think exhibition managers would appreciate steam coming out of the gratings,all those health and safety issuses!!!!!!!!!

suppose i could use dry ice,no forget that,that means more work.

Ray

Dear Ray,

I have a continuously-active "steaming manhole cover" in the street intersection of 41st and 2nd on "Brooklyn 3:AM",

no issues with exhibition managers or fellow exhibitors if it's kept at a _scale_ "whisping steam"...

(check the pics of Brooklyn on Carl's site...)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• Like 1

Andy

Thanks about the kind remarks. :no:

I know what you mean about the fire escapes,i had buiilt the buildings first with no thought of fire escapes,then decided i would have fire escapes,tried building a angled one,but the stairway looked far to steep,then i found a photo of one on the net,don't know if it's on a American building (looks to be),but it fitted the bill so went with it.

post-13979-0-55245000-1348988859.jpg

Prof

what did you use for steam???????

Ray

Had some spare time today,so started on the alternative buildings,which i can swap for different railroads,first done is a concrete loading ramp to swap with US pencils,(i getting to like this better than US pencils).

The veiwing area is only 15" high,so when you stand back,it seems to open the layout up more,(got to think of all them crowds flocking around an American layout at a exhibition),my idea was to use the buildings as a scenic block,which i think may work on a bigger layout,i'm not so sure on a exhibition layout,the idea of a theatre type presentaion means people have to look into the layout, so building blocking there veiw may not work.

Will have to have a few mates around when the other buildings done for a second opinion.

post-13979-0-55476500-1349630590.jpg

post-13979-0-46036700-1349630598.jpg

post-13979-0-59577200-1349630607.jpg

Ray

• Like 4

there are a couple of empty appartments,which i will have for "let signs" hanging out of the windows,the bottom floor warehouse windows, will have boards across the bottom half of the window

Ray

Ray,

Layout is looking wonderful - enjoying following your progress!

Not sure if you meant this literally - and you likely know this - but a sign reading "For Let" wouldn't produce any takers . . . since that's not a term we use in the US. Help your landlords out and have the sign read "For Rent"!!!

• Like 1

post-13979-0-19903300-1350329784_thumb.jpg

Took a photo of the Conrail local arriving to do some switching

post-13979-0-92369500-1350329725_thumb.jpg

the landlord finally put his "for rent" signs up.

post-13979-0-89339400-1350329752_thumb.jpg

also the team track got a couple of forklifts,they need drivers now.

Progress is a bit slow at the moment,running out of detailing bits and sorting out my local exhibition,and starting on the "new layout",theres not enough time in the day.

Ray

P.S Nick,not this year!!

• Like 3

Found a old woodern shed,of a failed project, think it will do for my yard office,bit of grass around the bottom,jobs a good'un.

post-13979-0-43279400-1350485473_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-32777700-1350485503_thumb.jpg

When yo've got'a go,yo've got'a go,hope he's not looking for the end of the paper!!!!!

post-13979-0-94486200-1350485593_thumb.jpg

Pete,these crate's any better,want to keep some new one's,companies do buy/build new one's for shipping,don't they???

Ray

• Like 3

A small (I hope constructive!) suggestion.... who knows where those crates are going? there are no labels!

In the UK crates are often branded with company name, (makes it easier for the villains to recognise items worth "borrowing"), don't know if same applied across the pond.

I dunno why but weathered wood over here tends to go grey rather fast. I think it is due to the more intense sunlight (compared to the UK, only in Maine is the US close to the UK in latitude- I'm discounting the Pacific North West). New York is roughly the same latitude as Barcelona and Rome yet New York is considered part of the North East.

Taking my Deck at home as an example it is far more affected by the Sun than Rain.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Adrian

You may be right about the porch,it needs cut of, as for style of the building, i'm sure there would be building somewhere made out of planks,i got the idea for my team track from this picture of Erie 28st yard,theres a small shed,but can't tell what it's made of.

post-13979-0-87935300-1350645847.jpg

It's the illusion i'm trying to create,not trying to be to specific,so as not to date the layout which makes it more flexiible for when i change railroad theme's.

Point taken about crates,will leave a few new,when i buy my next batch will weather then heavily.

Thanks for all your comments,keep them coming.

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ray

Superb photo that really gives the sort of feel you are creating.

Its that sort of shot I am after for detailing ROUNDHOUSE but for a town set in the mid west such as Laramie or Cheyenne.

I have bought one of the Ratio cranes to do something similar to what you have done with the team track - hope you dont mind me pinching your idea.

Ian

Ray;

That looks a lot more 'in place' - the porch just screamed 'backwoods'. I'd expect a window if it was an office and no gaps in the planks (not that I see any) - this is NY and winter happens...

A lamp over the door (or on a pole nearby) would probably be essential.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle