DCC Fitting Guides - Requests

Trains4U

I am trying to find a guide to a non dcc Bachmann Jinty. The ones that most websites list seems to have been deleted, none of the links for it work. Any help appreciated. This is my first ever foray into dcc.

Have sent a reply to you

• 1 month later...

Probably a serious long shot but i dont suppose you have sound fitted or dcc'ed a Hornby class 155 dmu ? I am looking to get mine sound fitted with a express models lighting kit but i have no idea how it would be done any advice?

Cheers,

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Looking on the web the 155 is DCC ready so it should be a case of plugging in the decoder and playing. Express Models instructions are good I have not see the instructions for this unit but have fitted one into a loco. If you are not au fait with the soldering iron ask a friend/shop that is.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am currently having a think about having a go at my SNCF version of the Fleischmann BR55 in N Gauge. There is a German guide (translated here http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http://www.mtkb.de/Umbau/Fl_br55.htm ) but due to the rough nature of the translation I am a tad confused and would rather get it right than jump in and have a go and then wreck it. Any help would be really useful.

Cheers

Stephen

• 3 months later...

Hi All

we went to the Doncaster Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday and took out a 2 year sub for the BRM magazine. We got a free Bachmann 32-952z STANDARD CLASS 4MT 2-6-0 loco

Whilst there, I had a good look at it, the box says DCC ready, 8 pin chip but it had no fitting instructions. I took it back to the BRM stand, the rep said 'Ooh, sorry, the instructions should be in there'. he took another from stock but that had no instructions either

So, can anybody tell me how to take the body off to fit the chip ?

There seems to be a screw at the very front but that's got the 2 front swivel wheels covering it, and there's a screw at the back but there's a plastic bar that runs from front to back that covers tha5t screw also

As ever, many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give

Hi All

we went to the Doncaster Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday and took out a 2 year sub for the BRM magazine. We got a free Bachmann 32-952z STANDARD CLASS 4MT 2-6-0 loco

Whilst there, I had a good look at it, the box says DCC ready, 8 pin chip but it had no fitting instructions. I took it back to the BRM stand, the rep said 'Ooh, sorry, the instructions should be in there'. he took another from stock but that had no instructions either

So, can anybody tell me how to take the body off to fit the chip ?

There seems to be a screw at the very front but that's got the 2 front swivel wheels covering it, and there's a screw at the back but there's a plastic bar that runs from front to back that covers tha5t screw also

As ever, many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give

I have one on my workbench which has been waiting to have a decoder put into it for a couple of months so that I can add the guide to our installation guides.  If you can hang on a few days I'll see what I can do.  I'll just put a simple decoder in initially, but I have been holding off the installation as I want to put some loco lights onto it as well, and I haven't had the time recently, so this might be a two part process!

Edited by BromsMods

Well I had a go but it is not easy

I got the body loose but it will not come off as there is a load of pipes on the right hand side under the cab joining the body to the chassis so I have out it to one side till I see your guide

I do wonder why Bachmann and others

1) do not include a clear instuction sheet with each model showing how to fit the DCC chips

and

2) why they make it so hard to fit the chips

e.g when I did my Bachmann LT tank loco there was no way a standard size or smaller chip would fit using the socket. I fitted my chip only when I had removed all the socket and it's PCB and attached the chip direct. I solder fine cable for a living so I am OK doing that but for others that is not a nice job and if new to the hobby it could put them off for life (rant over)

Edited by LULFAN

Hi

Thanks for the instructions. The plastic piping under the loco doesn't want to move on mine. I've just sent a complaint to the editor of the magazine about the poor choice of loco for the free offer

It's really an appalling model to introduce folk to fitting chips. I can imagine it putting some off for life

Terrific

this hobby needs to gain more followers, not have them put off

Hi

Thanks for the instructions. The plastic piping under the loco doesn't want to move on mine. I've just sent a complaint to the editor of the magazine about the poor choice of loco for the free offer

It's really an appalling model to introduce folk to fitting chips. I can imagine it putting some off for life

Terrific

Some locos can be pigs to get into.

It was a good learning experience for you & it was nice to get a free gift as an incentive to subscribe.

I wish that the magazines would do something for those of us outside the UK ?

"Some locos can be pigs to get into."

yes that is true but it does little to encourage newbies to the hobby and it was very likely that a number of new subs to the mag who got the loco were young (and old) that got there 1st train set for xmas 2012

I am sure the mag could have chosen a better loco to give away

Even a member of mag staff at the show stand was giving out wrong advice as to how the chip was to be fitted

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Terrific

The plastic piping is attached to the body and not the loco chassis and therefore shouldn't prevent you from taking the body off. The only thing to be careful about is not gripping the piping when you take the body off as it easily detaches.  Poly cement is then needed to refix iit (been there, done that :yes: )  

The instructions also say to remove the weight from the boiler barrel in order to fit the decoder.  This is only true if you are fitting a physically large decoder, such as Bachmann's own.  I was able to fit a Lenz Standard+ without removing the weight.  As this is a single-sided decoder it just needs to be slid into the boiler barrel with the "live" side uppermost.

Edited by RFS

Hi

"The plastic piping is attached to the body and not the loco chassis"

Sadly not so on ours

The piping is attached to steps and the steps were glued to the chassis of the loco

I will be taking a pic later and will post it here

However I look at it this is a terrible loco to fit a chip to and not a good one to give away in a promotion that will attract newcomers to the hobby

• RMweb Gold

Hi

"The plastic piping is attached to the body and not the loco chassis"

Sadly not so on ours

The piping is attached to steps and the steps were glued to the chassis of the loco

I will be taking a pic later and will post it here

However I look at it this is a terrible loco to fit a chip to and not a good one to give away in a promotion that will attract newcomers to the hobby

Just had a look both at my 2 models and John Russell's picture.  The steps locate into a recess on the body side, but mine aren't glued  - or perhaps they were once but then separated from the chassis when I removed the body and wasn't aware of this. Seems a stupid arrangement to glue these onto the chassis!  I would have thought you might be able to release them by careful use of a screwdiver, making sure you restrain the pipes from snapping off. I don't think the glue used is particularly strong.

I did originally have a DP2X-UK decoder fitted into one of them but I believe the latest incarnation of this decoder is just that little bit bigger and will no longer fit. But the engines run very well with the Lenz Standard+.

• 1 month later...