THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hi Brian.

Looks can be deceptive in a photograph. The driver had handed over the token and as soon as he had it in his hand he dashed into the box and put the signal back to danger. He told me later that he was in training for the Ramchester stair climbing event in the forthcoming international "idiotics" meeting which he was determined to compete in and win. The event attracts competitors from all over the world and the forthcoming games has been given the extra credence this year whereby all winners will be eligible for entry into the Guinness Book of Records as these games have been called the looniest range of activities that man can undertake- ah well whatever floats your boat.

Rod

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is a little while since I posted something on this thread so here is an update.

I hinted that for some time Howard and I were not entirely happy with the coal yard end of the layout and that we planned to do something about it. The first job was to lift one of the coal yard roads and realign the other thus giving a more spacious look to the area. It also addressed the complaints voiced from lorry drivers over the difficulty of turning their vehicles within the tight space between the track and the coal staithes. This part is in progress as I speak with much of the scenics to be done. Pictures to be posted when more has been done.

The point work that was in the yard has been re-used, modified slightly and inserted into the run round loop as shown in the two photos that accompany this post. Again lots more work needs to undertaken now that the points are in position including re ballasting and several other jobs.

1927883400_DSC06092(2).JPG.4f10b663c18429bf641db874791041be.JPG

1955745182_DSC06091(2).JPG.04a562902132573283d8178f8f9c3e76.JPG

It will be apparent that there are to be more sidings alongside the coal yard which will serve the oil yard and another small industry both of whom had approached the railway company for rail access. In order to do this the baseboard at this end is currently being widened. This is not too difficult a task as the original construction was done using the L girder system which is easy for me to cope with.

As progress is made I will keep you all posted with regular updates.

All for now as I am about to watch my recording of Burnley v Leicester.

Rod 

• Like 12

Hi Paul. At present we have an idea of what is going to be on the extension but a final plan has not yet been properly formulated. When it is I will attempt to post it for your info. Hope that is OK.

One thing that is important to me is to maintain the spacious atmosphere of the layout and to maintain the flow of the trackwork so that it looks natural. Once the track has been laid Howard will get stuck into doing the scenery but I suppose that it will be several months before the layout is back to normal. Time will tell.

Rod

• Like 3

9 hours ago, railwayrod said:

Hi Paul. At present we have an idea of what is going to be on the extension but a final plan has not yet been properly formulated. When it is I will attempt to post it for your info. Hope that is OK.

One thing that is important to me is to maintain the spacious atmosphere of the layout and to maintain the flow of the trackwork so that it looks natural. Once the track has been laid Howard will get stuck into doing the scenery but I suppose that it will be several months before the layout is back to normal. Time will tell.

Rod

Thank you Rod.

I certainly agree with keeping the spacious look of the layout. Its one of your defining features that make it so attractive and yet you still have a great deal in it. 

Paul R

• Thanks 1

Just a quick note to let you all know that a bit more progress has been made today. The basic wood work has been completed and the 9mm plywood surface has been cut out to fit. However before I can screw it down the track plan will have to be finalised and marked out and the front trimmed off to fit the scenic arrangements. This will be my next job when I get down into the shed again - maybe tomorrow. 

Will keep you posted with perhaps a photo of work done so far.

Rod

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello Everyone.

As promised in my last post I have included a couple of pictures of the progress being made at Ramchester. The baseboard framework has been completed and the 9mm plywood top has been cut approximately to size and shape, laid in position and track placed on top so that an idea of what was planned could be seen. After several adjustments and re thinks what you see in the photos is more than likely what the end result will look like. The front edge of the board will be cut away as required to curve into the far end and some tweaks made at the near end to preserve a smooth flow to the front of the layout. The two long sidings at the rear of the new board will become an oil depot catering for both type A and B tank wagons while the front siding will serve some sort of company whose products and output has yet to be decided - suggestions welcomed!

1848876610_DSC06096(2).JPG.efe2d182891039a57913aacee7fe9446.JPG

1199263324_DSC06095(2).JPG.2d72e17466b3865362a59adaaf6dfa4c.JPG

So this is how far my new project has progressed but I will keep you posted as further work is completed.

Now for something totally different. This photo was taken from my patio the other morning with a really colourful sunrise. It makes life feel really worthwhile doesn't it.

1028742087_DSC06029(2).JPG.4d53fa67ab511f84ca61d3e7e6bef38f.JPG

Hope you like it.

Rod

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

The two points nearest the camera are being reused although I had to modify them both to Ys to fit their new location. I was never really happy with the old kick-back oil siding  and I think the new arrangement will be both more spacious and give the oil depot more separation from the other sidings. One thing I can't find is decent pictures of unloading facilities for class A tank wagons or anybody producing models of them!

• Agree 1

A little bit more progress yesterday was made with the front edge of the new ply top cut to shape although the final shape will be trimmed as and where needed. The front facia has to be reinstated but this is much further down the line (no pun intended). Looking at the coal yard to the rear it will be noticed that the inner track has been removed and what was the outer siding has been re-alligned. The staithes themselves have been lifted and moved nearer to the signal box and pushed back a little more. This has given a much more spacious effect to the yard giving lorries plenty of room to turn round. We now need a weigh bridge implanting into the road surface in front of the coal office. The surface of the yard is being worked on but we have some way to go still.

1668629130_DSC06098(2).JPG.4f278a6047e52ef74cab9fe91abaf673.JPG

676156242_DSC06097(2).JPG.33ffca833ea5697e5eda78fd741f1fa7.JPG

The next job is to start track laying which will take place sometime next week. Then the electrics will have to be installed and finally a great deal of scenic work (Howards favourite bit).

I will keep you all informed of further progress.

Rod

• Like 5

On 10/03/2021 at 22:34, HSB said:

One thing I can't find is decent pictures of unloading facilities for class A tank wagons or anybody producing models of them!

I think there were some articles in GWRJ.  I might have them, will have a look.

atb

Simon

On 10/03/2021 at 22:34, HSB said:

One thing I can't find is decent pictures of unloading facilities for class A tank wagons or anybody producing models of them!

I know it's a 'long shot' but ISTR a series of articles on tank wagons in MRN circa late 60's.  I'm pretty sure there were photos of the unloading facilities. Sorry I can't be more definite.

Ray.

I have received a PM from daifly with a set of very useful and informative pictures of an oil depot at Llandarcy which unfortunately can't be shared on here for copyright reasons. Thanks again, Dave.

• Like 1

Rod, Howard,

I’m much confused.  I have been through the GWRJ online index, and the bound copies I have, and can find nothing.  I know the articles exist, maybe I’m confused about their location/source.

I wonder if Dave @daifly can point you in the right direction.  He’s a mine of useful info.

will look though the unbound copies I have if I can find them!

sorry to not come up with the goods

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, railwayrod said:

Thanks Simon that would be very helpful. As Howard indicated above there are plenty of photos of tank wagons but hardly any of the unloading/loading equipment. Any help in this area would be much appreciated.

Rod

I don't know if this covers what you are after but the HMRS book, Oil on the Rails, by Alan Coppin, has quite a few photos of various unloading facilities, and includes a set of plans for a small depot at Aberystwyth, including photos of the author's model of that depot.

• Thanks 2