Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Hi Ian,

Glad to see you have put your layout up on here. I had the pleasure of seeing it at Barrow last year and it is a fantastic layout and I must say one of the best modern image N-guage layouts I have seen up close! Seeing some of the stock you had even encouraged me to buy a few more N-gauge wagons whilst at the show!

Well worth seeing if you get the chance at a future show.

All the best,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Glad to see you have put your layout up on here. I had the pleasure of seeing it at Barrow last year and it is a fantastic layout and I must say one of the best modern image N-guage layouts I have seen up close! Seeing some of the stock you had even encouraged me to buy a few more N-gauge wagons whilst at the show!

Well worth seeing if you get the chance at a future show.

All the best,

Mark

Mark

Thanks for your kind comments.

We had a few teathing troubles at Banbury but those have now been sorted (most sorted by the Sunday morning of the show) but now its the detailing and a couple of missing buildings plus weathering the rolling stock.

Its the improvement in the quality of british N scale that led me to build this layout and generally pretty impressed with whats now available although it isnt quite yet up to American N scale standards but it getting there.

Trying to get some good shots on my SLR but its a big too big to get in there between lamps and fencing hence having to make do with the smaller compact camera for now.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, and by a strange coincidence I'm just about to start rendering some video clips taken at Bishops Itchington (just North of Fenny Compton) in April 2011, iirc Big Jim is driving on one of the clips too.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Great layout! Any chance of some "wide" photos to give us an idea of the whole thing?

And as another poster has said, I think the sand-drag in the bay is excellent. It's that sort of attention to detail - observing and depicting what is "really there" - that lifts this layout into the upper echelons of quality.

Thanks for posting.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ian,

That looks quite marvellous - I am doing banbury in OO - no further than the baseboards at the moment! lucky enough to have 7.5m x 4.5m room but the station is still hard to fit in.

I have been working on a google sketchup of the station building and so I know just how complex it is and yours looks a fantastic representation. I am modelling it circa 1962 but apart from the lights and signs and a little track plan difference it is much the same modelling problem and I know I wont get it as good as you have.

Good luck and would love to see many more photos - and track plan if you have the time.

Cheers

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Tim

If there are any dimensions you need then let me know. I haven't done any decent scale drawings but just handwritten sketches and notes after numerous visits and using an electronic measuring device for many of the dims.

The one thing I haven't done is to cant the track through the platforms due to having to squash up the track a bit at the South end (as the layout makes use of the fiddleyard built and also used on another layout) hence the cant wouldn't have worked very well.

If you do the can't the then the southbound platform should actually be about a 10 - 12 inches lower than the northbound platforms and hence a couple more steps from the footbridge down to the platform and thus the platform building on the Southbound side are actually slightly taller.

I also have a few hundred photos so if you need any particular details then just ask.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Steve

Very interesting aerial shots and very handy for some of the areas I am currently working on such as the Royal Mail and network Rail side of the fence which are hard to see from the public accessed areas. Do you have any closer in shots of these areas?

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, and by a strange coincidence I'm just about to start rendering some video clips taken at Bishops Itchington (just North of Fenny Compton) in April 2011

Are you interested in any clips of trains which have passed Banbury ? - I will skip most of them if not, don't mind rendering them if you want them (Talking about Voyagers and 168s etc., the freight and loco hauled will be rendered anyway) ? - I'm sorting out the movies at the moment, so a one off offer.