Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Steve

Very interesting aerial shots and very handy for some of the areas I am currently working on such as the Royal Mail and network Rail side of the fence which are hard to see from the public accessed areas. Do you have any closer in shots of these areas?

Regards

Ian

Alas no - I had a 15 minute light aircraft flight on a Groupon voucher so naturally asked to head for the nearest railway line. One quick circuit over Banbury station and back to the airfield. These were the only shots I got

STEVE

Looks great Ian,

I caught the train from Banbury last year and thought then it would be a good palce to model.

I too look forward to seeing moe pictiures, and hopefully I'll get to Eastleigh and see it for real..

Cheers

Scott

Edited by pitbull1845

• RMweb Gold

Yes please, any video is useful. Have taken some myself and posted on Youtube.

Here's some I've already posted

http://www.youtube.com/user/beast66606/search?query=ITCHINGTON

Got some more to upload when I get chance, the network is very slow here so it takes a looong time to upload.

• RMweb Gold

It will generally be current day scene give or take a few years but as Banbury is on a major cross country route then anything currently able to run on Network Rail that isnt electric powered (unless its being pulled) can be seen running through the station. Our range of stock is constantly bring expanded with help of a few friends.

we now have various maintenance trains, and an MOD train fom Kineton.

Tornado will be seen on the layout hauling a charter train the weekend of Eurotrack..it will not be blowing any smoke but you will be able to hear it!

Ian

Ian I find that 192.com has the best resolution for banbury - at least it did a year or so ago when I was looking

re: measurements - yes I'd love any as I live a 10 hour drive from Banbury these days and so I can't just pop over - I took my measurements by taking the known length of a virgin voyager shown in the station in the 192.com overhead and worked back from there to define lengths of major items and from those using photos lengths of smaller items. obviously though errors creep in using that method.

What I really would like is a colour picture showing station signs in '62 I believe they were still western region colours then but despite around 100 period photos I have none that are both in colour and show the signs.

Cheers Tim

• RMweb Gold

A few more mainly aerial shots of the station. As can be seen I am now adding more fencing towards the ront of the layout as the supplier ran out whilst I was getting the layout ready for the Barrow In Furness show back in October. There is a fair amount of clutter to go next to the fencing such as old rail built buffer stops still attached to lengths of rail which are under constructiion using Peco ones and some Atlas code 55 rail and some new drainage materials.

I also need quite a few Royal Mail vehicles but so far only have two!

Ianpost-1557-0-37658300-1326320088_thumb.jpgpost-1557-0-94997700-1326320120_thumb.jpgpost-1557-0-75138600-1326320154_thumb.jpgpost-1557-0-66145100-1326320182_thumb.jpgpost-1557-0-93118900-1326320220_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

It will generally be current day scene give or take a few years but as Banbury is on a major cross country route then anything currently able to run on Network Rail that isnt electric powered (unless its being pulled) can be seen running through the station.

I take it you've seen the video of the 60 hauling a DB Schencker bright red liveried 92 through Oxford just before Christmas then :)

STEVE

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

fantastic, only just spotted this thread, the view looking north from the royal mail depot is stunning!!

one observation, the points you have going into the "cattle siding" from platform 1, i dont think they are there now, if they are they are certainly not in use, i'll have a look next time im there, i think the ground frame is still in situ though but the points may have been cut back.

i dont get into the sidings at banbury very much anymore now im based in birmingham, when i was in marylebone we had regular jobs into the yard and sidings, im sure ive got some current maps for there too from when they reopened the yard nearest the chiltern control office

• RMweb Gold

looking at google earth it looks like they are still there, they definatly aren't in use though, clipped out, when units are parked in the cattle road they do sit foul of the points right up to the blocks.

i'll grab a few pics next time i'm there.

• RMweb Gold

Today I have been working on the Autoballaster rake and also soem detailing .including adding the orange ducting under the tracks for signal cables and calso fitted the TPWS siganl grilles wihc are etched parts form Taylor Models.

The bicylce rack in the Royal Mail area has been started and will hopefully be put in position in the next few days.

And the third photo is taken from the South end of the station. The two new semaphores are yet to be added in the foreground.

Ian

post-1557-0-19232500-1326642032_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-88173600-1326642099_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-82699000-1326642170_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

You have captured that bridge to a tee,have sat in traffic jams on it many times in the past always had a look to see what was happenning dont forget the lights on the turn back siding to the north.You can get a view of the signal box from the bridge able see interior ,keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Hey

My perception of this layout just keeps getting better as the photos roll in. Stunning work indeed!

Might I ask where you got the mesh fence from that is in the picture above (the pic with the FL66 and Network rail wagons) ??? I'm hunting everywhere for such fencing!

Thanks for the continued stream of pics!

Regards

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately the backscene is just the other side of the bridge so I won't be bale to fit the Notrh box in, despite having some really good shots of it etc. The South box is being modelled though.

I have three sets of Wrexham and Shropshire enabling a five car ses although one of the coaches needs to be modified for the buffet (unless Dapol bring one out beforehand). I have the other locos on the blue grey Mk3's and another set on the Chiltern Mianline Silver service using Electra graphics sides on stripped down Farish Mk3 bodies.

A couple more shots tonight showing the progress on the Royal Mail bicycle shed and also the 'Banbury' name in place on the main station building.

Ian

post-1557-0-89147200-1326662623_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-68656900-1326662667_thumb.jpg

• Like 5