Welsh exhibitions

Piemanlarger

Great to see the Cardiff boys and their superb layouts today at The Pumping Station. What a high quality selection of layouts! Had a cracking day out, and great to see Marc, Brian, Al and Paul, and I enjoyed the banter! Got to tell you boys that we saw another Jack wearing a Swansea shirt openly in the city centre later in the day!

But seriously, thanks for the welcome, I'm still chuckling over some things that Brian said.

Look forward to seeing all again soon.

BTW, bought a couple of bargain BR (S) bits in Modelzone, so good day all round. Daughter enjoyed spending her money, although I seem to have bought her a 4mm hippy style VW at some point!

Hi Mikey,

Good tro see you & Keefr (another Jack) today too

glad you enjoyed the show

don't worry, Brian often makes us all chuckle ;)

Perhaps the guy you saw had just made a purchase from a charity shop? :)

Speak soon sir

Marc

Got to tell you boys that we saw another Jack wearing a Swansea shirt openly in the city centre later in the day!

Was he either (a) daft ( B) undefeated reigning World kick boxing champion © unaware of the health implications of wearing such a shirt east of Briton Ferry bridge ?

But seriously, thanks for the welcome, I'm still chuckling over some things that Brian said.

My soapbox has taken a bashing today !

For those thinking of going to the Lord & Butler Show tomorrow (Sunday) - you'll enjoy it, and it's free - apart from a donation toward Macmillan Cancer Care.

For those not thinking of coming ........ .

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Brian R

In answer to your question re the Jack, has to be 'daft', ;-)

Hope you get the soapbox fixed real soon now!

And yes, if you are anywhere near Cardiff today, get down to Lord & Butler, it's well worth it.

The layouts are all of a very high standard and the operators only too willing to natter and show you how things are done.

I'm a bit wary of certain big charity organisations, but Macmillan are one of the good ones, and having seen the work they do, like supporting my neighbour when his wife was dying of cancer, I was more than happy to make a donation.

• RMweb Gold

Popped along yesterday and had a very relaxing/ entertaining couple of hours with the boys at the show. Very traditional feel to it and nice to get so close to the exhibits. Perhaps next year we can combine it with a beer festival in the cafe down stairs. Perfect.

I know, but they're also the best thing for causing stress ;)

I'm thinking of building a small/micro layout that I can run my EM stock, that's been in a box for many years, on. The broad gauge micro layout will take too long to finish, as I need to build more rolling stock and fix loco problems. Just need to fit it in with major work on the house, sorting out my few acres, and trying to make a living!

I know what you mean about stress...

Having said that, I've built several layouts over the past 3 -4 years

... all micros of course, but I haven't been unduly stressed by the building of them...

A micro EM layout is a must- otherwise your stock may never get a run...

what a shame that always is.....

I'll be working on a micro EM layout next -

unless she disowns me for having too many layouts ;)

Let us know when you start your micro

Cheers all

PS Great to see several rmwebbers over the weekend

Great show at L&B again, and thanks to the likes of Keefr and Mikey for travelling from further West :)

• Like 2

I've been starting to think about it Marc!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30848-timesaver-layouts/page__st__25#entry714867

A cunning plan is evolving from this in my head at the moment, and the next stage is to decide if I lay it out on paper, or do battle with Templot to make it curvey to fit on a slightly shorter board.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean about stress...

Having said that, I've built several layouts over the past 3 -4 years

... all micros of course, but I haven't been unduly stressed by the building of them...

A micro EM layout is a must- otherwise your stock may never get a run...

what a shame that always is.....

I'll be working on a micro EM layout next -

unless she disowns me for having too many layouts ;)

Let us know when you start your micro

Cheers all

PS Great to see several rmwebbers over the weekend

Great show at L&B again, and thanks to the likes of Keefr and Mikey for travelling from further West :)

Can any future products from the Smiffy emporium include some more birdsong please.

I thought it was really good and added a nice ambience to the whole show. Like sitting in a summer meadow watching the trains. Took me right back to sitting in a tree at New Road Park alongside the line.

I know how much the other exhibitors enjoyed it as well. Found it so relaxing they did.

I'm thinking of adding the sound of running water to my next layout and possibly the sounds from the signalmans outside privvy.

Excellent effort Mark, much appreciated.

Rob.

• Like 1

Can any future products from the Smiffy emporium include some more birdsong please.

I thought it was really good and added a nice ambience to the whole show. Like sitting in a summer meadow watching the trains. Took me right back to sitting in a tree at New Road Park alongside the line.

I know how much the other exhibitors enjoyed it as well. Found it so relaxing they did.

I'm thinking of adding the sound of running water to my next layout and possibly the sounds from the signalmans outside privvy.

Excellent effort Mark, much appreciated.

Rob.

Thanks for your kind words Rob, great to see you again sir :)

I usually play a soundtrack to accompany my layouts

The last one "Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel" was set in the rain,

so the soundtrack was of rainfall & thunder & lightening!

I am intrigued to know why you used to trainspot from up a tree?

I recall seeing you as a lad, and knew of no such antics ;)

Or was I up a tree as well? lol

PS. If you play running water sounds

you might end up making onlookers want to visit the loo....

Cheers

Popped along yesterday and had a very relaxing/ entertaining couple of hours with the boys at the show. Very traditional feel to it and nice to get so close to the exhibits. Perhaps next year we can combine it with a beer festival in the cafe down stairs. Perfect.

Hiya Rob,

Was great to see you at the show sir. Always nice to catch up with everyone and glad to hear things with you are good.

All the best,

• RMweb Gold

Marc. The tree was midway between Rumney River Bridge and Lamby Bridge. Many a relaxing hour was spent sat in said tree, branches of which formed a perfect 'L' and afforded a nice back/foot rest.

I only mention your soundtrack as I know Brian really enjoyed it. Couldn't stop whistling to himself apparently.

Wayne, Good to see you to Old Boy. As you so rightly say, nice to catch up in such excellent surroundings.

All the best,

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not aware of other layouts due to appear at the Swansea Waterfront Museum Show - but my brothers circular 4mm 'Castle Works' will be there.

I don't think it is solely a model railway exhibition - but I stand to be corrected.

Brian R

Welshpool 7th October,

I'll be there with Pen Y Bont

Cheers!

Frank

Was hoping to be able to pop down for this, I was thinking of bringing a couple of the buildings from Llanfyllin, BUT, I have now been invited to attend a Fly Fishing Course with Fishing for Heroes, so unfortunately I will not be attending. Maybe next year