Circle Street . Round and round it goes..

birdseyecircus

Hi Paul,

What a fantastic little layout. It's amazing what you can fit on a board that's just three foot square, especially with second radius track.

I'm glad to hear that you've used 12mm ply. My previous two layouts were built using 6mm MDF and softwood framing and despite using MDF sealer, the boards have warped slightly giving uneven running in one or two places. Being stored in a dry, but very cold shed, probably hasn't helped either. As far as I'm concerned, ply is best and I've used this for my layout for the 2010 challenge.

I will watch the progress on Circle Street with interest. Love the retaining walls.

Regards,

Paul (aka Intercity125)

I love watching the huge layouts being built but i can honestly say that i havent smiled half as much as i have whilst watching Circle street being built, its so nice to see some fun once in a while in modelling .

Superb effort and a pleasure to watch , even my wife thinks Circle street is pretty cool and she cant stand model railways !!!

Well done and please keep posting,

regards Paul

Thanks for the comments guys. Things don't get much simpler and it's nice to have a train running round whilst getting on with other tasks.

It's surprising that despite it being second radius track a nice scale 25 -30 mph takes a Heljan class 33 eighteen seconds to return to the same spot.

Paul

Yup, coming along nicely... and giving me ideas for a future N gauge layout (number 327th on the list of layouts to build).

Interesting to read back my ideas about track modifications because I just have no idea what I was on about! biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

More slow progress... I have added a wall at the rear of the station platform along with an access ramp. Both need finishing off with some slabs along the top.

The Thorneycroft amazon crane has been completed having sat roof less for several months! Just need to make a grab for it, and a bit more weathering and battering now that it's on civvy street.

You may just notice a Wills green house in one of the pics. This requires the allotment to finish it off.

The space next to the houses will be a small garage/service station. A perfect excuse to purchase a couple more of the excellent cars that are appearing from various makers.

I may build the Queen Mary trailer that was part of the Amazon crane set and bury it in the bushes rusted up.

I really enjoy running the trains on here whilst doing other things! - which is why naff all gots done!!!

Paul

post-6856-127039151574_thumb.jpg

post-6856-127039153793_thumb.jpg

post-6856-127039155698_thumb.jpg

post-6856-127039157423_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not sure what has happened to the earlier pictures. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

As for the layout not a lot has happened, due to other interests etc as well as it being warm in the loft. I have ran stock on it though several times whilst doing other things. It's nice to look up from a computer and see a loco rumbeling around.

Any way here is another picture.

Paul

post-6856-127684211658.jpg

• 3 months later...

Nothing new to add folks. Other interests and work during the summer have seen little progress. The layout still gets run though when i am in the vicinity.

One major issue is that the layout sits under the velux window and the bright summer sun (even though there was little of it) has taken its toll on the scalescene road and a couple of sections of the retaining wall.

I have now installed a blind but will have to replace the faded sections. Not sure how much a coat of matt varnish will protect things.

Wether i get to complete by the 31st is another thing, but i will keep going especially as there is a baby deltic and a metrovick to look forward to.

Paul

• 6 months later...

Just seen this thread for the first time and very impressed being space (and money!) starved and in need of inspiration such as this! Were there any further developments or more photos since the last post?

I like the idea of using setrack to keep the radius tight and accurate. Do you happen to know if the Peco 2nd radius curves are identical to the Hornby ones?

• 1 month later...

I may have to rethink part of the layout. It was my intention to have a platform opposite the point. I was well aware of the draw back of putting a platform on a second radius curve.

seeing pictures carefully hiding the gap at either end of the coach (with the middle part being the nearest to the platform edge) made me think it would be ok.

However reality is a different thing! I have started to construct a small platform, but constantley looking over the top of the train makes my eyes draw straight to the gaps!

Whilst running short 4 wheel wagons is ok. I wanted to run the odd DMU and 2 coach passenger train.

What do others think? Should i still build the platform and shut my eye every time i lean over (!) Or find another use for the space? Maybe a factory?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Excellent idea this, I'm doing a similar project like this using 2nd radius setrack and am in the same predicament as yourself with the overscale gap caused by the tight radius. My thought on a way around it is to either make the station derelict with perhaps the edges of the plaform broken away and weeds etc growing out of the platform in places. you could really go town buy using as I have done something like the Dapol booking hall just for example, I've detailed and changed a few things plus i've done a little vandalism to the building and have boarded up the odd window or two.

Basically, the only other alternative is you just have to grin and bear it if you want the station to be in a reasonable and maintained in use condition, or as you've said think of putting something else such as an industry or something similar in place.

Remember, you don't have to have a station to run passenger trains etc as you can still run railcars, DMU's, etc as `en route. to somewhere else, say between stations, that's the beauty of not being a terminus as you need to justify a passenger train being there in the first place.

I haven't been able to see your pics unfortunately, they just have red crosses where the images should be, hope you can get them working as I would love to keep watch on your progress with the project.

I shall be making up a new album in my gallery soon and uploading some pics of my `test track' in a case which is also due for some scenic work, my `N' scale project is on my gallery already but I haven't had chance to do much withit the last few months, will certainly have to get going again with it. Many Thanks for sharing your work with us, please keep us posted on your progress with it.

Regards,

Rich :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Sorry for the lack of updates - simply because their is nothing to update!

That does not mean the layout is dead. It gets run quite often but with no progress on any work.

I must confess to thoughts of storing it though because of the fading scalescenes art work. My fault as i should have varnished it along with placing the layout away from the window - which is a bit difficult.

I did buy this Skaledale garage today though fom Modelzone in Hull for £7.99 - quite a bargin which replaces the Wills two shed garage which was a bit basic looking.

post-6856-0-14704800-1311013098_thumb.jpg

I may add another siding but not decided yet. By moving back the point and adding another point from it i can have a short (very!) siding for a couple of vans.

post-6856-0-11104500-1311013299_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-42077600-1311013328_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to the Heljan class 23. By the way the loco with the most miles on the layout is the Heljan class 15 which is a lovely runner.

Paul

• 2 years later...

Archived