EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, sagaguy said:

I collected a lot of Biggles books in the 1980s but looking back,they were a bit repetitive.Biggles flies east,west,south,north and possibly up and down.The book that does stick in my mind though is Biggles and the cruise of the condor with the usual crew and Dickpa.

Ray

I still have my Biggles collection amounting to some 70 books... agree on the RFC ones also The Boy Biggles on his childhood in India.

The WW2 books are interesting....

The Little Rich Boy has a hint of The 39 Steps in it - didnt realise it at the time

I could go on .... havent read any for years

• Like 3

Intrigued by this. The first photo shows what looks like five complete carriage bodies, but later ones show incomplete assemblies. As the roofs and sides have to be glued on, and look like they have been, I am somewhat confused.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133949432508?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=8fe1fec191fa4f9dbc44ce9f60b929c0&bu=43007734306&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20211201012731&segname=11021&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/11/2021 at 01:14, DK123GWR said:

image.png.0974db31de138d3c5c6e4fd66bd2f541.png

I bought an Airfix autocoach in a joblot with a few wagons. At £10 including postage, it would probably be difficult to get one individually for the same money. It does have this unusual addition though. It's stuck on rather well and there are prominent glue marks both around here and where the previous owner has reattached the hand rails by the doors, so generous helpings were used. I think I'm probably better off leaving it as it is and saying that Oakhampstead wanted to run longer push-pull trains than the Swindon system allowed, and so experimentally rebuilt a few autocoaches with a different type of control system (no idea what) and gangways on one end, with some standard coaches converted to transmit the controls to the loco.

I might say that it's in a good shape tho. OFC considering the fact that this vagon had the owner before you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Intrigued by this. The first photo shows what looks like five complete carriage bodies, but later ones show incomplete assemblies. As the roofs and sides have to be glued on, and look like they have been, I am somewhat confused.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133949432508?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=8fe1fec191fa4f9dbc44ce9f60b929c0&bu=43007734306&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20211201012731&segname=11021&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

I think the idea may have been to have the sides / ends / roof as a unit slip over the underframe / compartments - not such a bad idea with these kits if one wants to keep the interior accessible - also quite a good idea for painting too? Following the example of many RTR carriages.

I wonder what's become of the bogies. Pairs of bogie mouldings are available, £7, whilst the complete carriage kits are £21.25 each new (prices from Eileen's Emporium website) so part-built kit without bogies at £13 each are marginally a bargain. I won't be buying, as I would feel that I had been deprived of more than £1.25-worth of modelling satisfaction per carriage by the work already done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This 'bric-a-brac' dealer of junk still doesn't get it. These have been up for over two years at this silly price. These are 'old school' kits which were good in their day but probably now worth £20 tops. He has several of them!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144312604895?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=738ddc32df01493491d7fe2c070fa555&bu=43704251606&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20211201015117&segname=11021&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Coming to the conclusion that the Ebay Madness forum is the sanest forum on rmweb? Life really is too short for involvement with certain individuals on certain other fora!

Try Early Risers (wheeltappers) or The Night Mail (Modelling Miscellany). Perhaps not the sanest but interesting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

“Near Mint - no marks, scratches or dust”....

Errr, buddy, you want £75 for a lump of scrap... That's not zinc, that's flaky pastry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255253377666

My lad has one of those A4s with that tender chassis problem - Merlin, in Green livery, in the Liliput box. Fortunately I removed the tender chassis from its body before any massive longitudinal stress occurred to break the tender ends. The example to which Esmedune linked has been photographed still in its box, so there may well be a broken tender body adjacent to the cab. 

The tender chassis of my son's loco has continued to distort, such that it has a severe sideways bend. Fortunately (again) I had removed the motor, wheels and gears, and taken measurements of the chassis, before all that occurred.

Others of the Trix/Liliput A4s which have a different design of tender don't have that problem - my lad's Silver Link (in a Trix box) has a much better chassis design.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

He might stand a better chance of shifting it as auction only at a tenner start.

He does have a huge selection of other items... so do wonder how long hes had most of them as there is quite a bit of repetition...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DIW said:

My lad has one of those A4s with that tender chassis problem - Merlin, in Green livery, in the Liliput box. Fortunately I removed the tender chassis from its body before any massive longitudinal stress occurred to break the tender ends. The example to which Esmedune linked has been photographed still in its box, so there may well be a broken tender body adjacent to the cab. 

The tender chassis of my son's loco has continued to distort, such that it has a severe sideways bend. Fortunately (again) I had removed the motor, wheels and gears, and taken measurements of the chassis, before all that occurred.

Others of the Trix/Liliput A4s which have a different design of tender don't have that problem - my lad's Silver Link (in a Trix box) has a much better chassis design.

Sounds like they self-destruct over time!?

• Agree 1

This seller - joblotmansteven - seems to have a lot of railway items that look like they have been rescued from a skip…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-RAILWAY-TRAIN-SHUNTER-OO-GAUGE-HAND-CRAFTED-OOAK-VINTAGE-/275048078143?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Vintage? Possibly - I think it is Hornby from the 1980s. Hand crafted? Well, someone has sloshed paint onto it! “OOAK” - can’t decide if he is saying it is “OO” or “Oak” (to follow on from his “hand crafted” perhaps?). Anyway, it isn’t oak - it’s plastic! Most interesting part of the description, though, is “RAILWAY TRAIN SHUNTER” as in his description he describes it as a locomotive. I’ve messaged him already suggesting an unhappy buyer may report him for being deliberately misleading in his description…

Also missing a rear coupling … but he happens to have four of the appropriate type for sale in a separate listing!

What makes me think he is a bona fide chancer, though, is his listing for the following -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-RAILWAY-Hornby-OO-GAUGE-SCENIC-ACCESSORIES-PORTER-TROLLEY-SACKS-/275053203679?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

£4.99 for a tiny piece of plastic? Plus another £4.35 postage on top?!

Check out his many listings of diecast toy cars for many more examples of items that look like they have been found at the bottom of people’s bins!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2021 at 17:47, MrWolf said:

He might stand a better chance of shifting it as auction only at a tenner start.

I've always harboured the unfulfillable wish that eBay insisted, that, as it is allegedly an auction site, every item listed starts at 99p. If a seller is starting off with a minimum price then it isn't an auction IMHO.

The main problem with that notion though is that it would kill this thread stone dead!

Mike.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've always harboured the unfulfillable wish that eBay insisted, that, as it is allegedly an auction site, every item listed starts at 99p. If a seller is starting off with a minimum price then it isn't an auction IMHO.

The main problem with that notion though is that it would kill this thread stone dead!

Mike.

Is it not the case that most items offered for sale at auctions other than on eBay have a minimum price, otherwise known as a reserve? And in most cases the amount thereof is not disclosed.

• Agree 5

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, CamRys said:

Is it not the case that most items offered for sale at auctions other than on eBay have a minimum price, otherwise known as a reserve? And in most cases the amount thereof is not disclosed.

Not at the real life auctions I've attended. Some items have a reserve, but most don't. That said, the starting price is largely set by the auctioneer and the auction house tends to have a minimum bid.

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If a seller is starting off with a minimum price then it isn't an auction IMHO.

Yes it is, because you bid upwards from the start, whatever that start may be.

If everything started at 99p then all the bidding would be via auction snipers in the last few seconds. At least this way, the seller can pick the amount they are willing to accept as a minimum. I've sold things on the basis that if I don't get my minimum, I'll hang on to it. As a buyer, I prefer a realistic start to a hidden reserve. Then I decide if I am willing to pay at least that much and know that a bid will secure the item if it wins.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

This seller - joblotmansteven - seems to have a lot of railway items that look like they have been rescued from a skip…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-RAILWAY-TRAIN-SHUNTER-OO-GAUGE-HAND-CRAFTED-OOAK-VINTAGE-/275048078143?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Vintage? Possibly - I think it is Hornby from the 1980s. Hand crafted? Well, someone has sloshed paint onto it! “OOAK” - can’t decide if he is saying it is “OO” or “Oak” (to follow on from his “hand crafted” perhaps?). Anyway, it isn’t oak - it’s plastic! Most interesting part of the description, though, is “RAILWAY TRAIN SHUNTER” as in his description he describes it as a locomotive. I’ve messaged him already suggesting an unhappy buyer may report him for being deliberately misleading in his description…

Also missing a rear coupling … but he happens to have four of the appropriate type for sale in a separate listing!

What makes me think he is a bona fide chancer, though, is his listing for the following -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-RAILWAY-Hornby-OO-GAUGE-SCENIC-ACCESSORIES-PORTER-TROLLEY-SACKS-/275053203679?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Check out his many listings of diecast toy cars for many more examples of items that look like they have been found at the bottom of people’s bins!

I wonder if he is related to my local junk antique dealer who has had a whole shop window full of Lledo and associated promo diecast cars/vans/etc up for grabs at £15 a pop?  Worth a quid including postage these days of course...

He had a 1980's vintage Hornby Class 86 in the window the other day, wanted £90 for it, amazingly someone bought it....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Looks like my kids toy box collection that included my brother's toys from the 60's as well as my own all with the same paint chips and bent axles..

BTW on another point dont you love the description 'pre owned'... well I never so manufacturers dont send stuff out in that state as new or do they.... 'pre owned' got to be to look like that.

I remember going to a Tarmac site for a fire alarm install and being shown a mountain of road planeing's described as previously loved tarmac!

Edited by John Besley
Correction
  • Funny 5

23 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Not at the real life auctions I've attended. Some items have a reserve, but most don't. That said, the starting price is largely set by the auctioneer and the auction house tends to have a minimum bid.

The reserve price does not have to be disclosed. Auctioneers can start the bidding wherever they wish and if there are no bids then the auctioneer can go lower until someone makes a bid. But the auctioneer can take bids "off the wall" until such (fictitious) bids reach the reserve. Good auctioneers are very adept at making off the wall bids seem real. Therefore, the existence of a reserve may not be apparent to people in the room, they might well get the impression that there was no reserve when in fact there was. Unless the auction house has a minimum bid and the seller is prepared to sell at that figure, putting an item up for auction without a reserve is a dangerous game for the seller as the item could (literally) be sold for a penny.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1