EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Exactly; the auctioneer's job is to get the best price for the items under his hammer, and a good auctioneer is practicing a very highly skilled trade with a high level of psychology and technique.  eBay does not have auctioneers nor does it act as an auctioneer, or even as an auction house, it is simply an open bidding marketplace, capitalsim red in toof an' clore, where the pitiless iron laws of supply and demand rule all.  Except that they don't, they are interfered with by marketing techniques by the sellers, some of whom will try to bend the truth to the greatest extent possible within the limits allowed by the laws, and some of whom simply have no idea what the thing they are selling actually is (Ivatt tender described as shunting locomotive etc.).

It is of course this sort of activity, carried out by rank amatuers on one hand and by what the Irish call 'cute hoors' on the other that is the staple diet of this thread; free market shennanigans as a spectator sport.  Never forget that there's one born every minute, just make sure it isn't you.  Vivat Gostude!

Or, as they say in the pub when I show off my latest bargain on the phone, 'how much?'. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Andy WD said:

Weathered.....as a genuine Dai Woodhams example circa 1976 :D

Dai's locos were never as bent out of shape as that!

45 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Preaching to the choir.  I have 3 of these, brilliant models, and a lot of loco for the money even at the new price.  This one is definitely a bargain, and I'd bite if I didn't already have as many as I am likely to ever need.

• Like 5

According to the memo that I got from human resources, blaming and shaming is no longer the done thing.

Then again, neither is being judgemental and I did that in my last post.

Hang on, it seems that I am now in trouble for referring to HR as "a bunch of bleeding heart, hand wringing snowflakes".

There's no pleasing some people....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

HR, wherever I have ever worked, are the Death Of Reason; I wouldn't worry about what the likes of them b*ggers.  Nothing a good baseball batting wouldn't sort out...

Baseball bats? Too good for 'em!

However, a priest would be appropriate...

Edited by Hroth
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Baseball bats? Too good for 'em!

However, a priest would be appropriate...

Go on then you do the job and see how nice it is. When a Director tells you that person is going to get sacked and when you try to defend them you get pushed out. Or how daring to talk about mental health gets you told you can't do the job. Who can you turn to? no one is who. 

HR are used as the excuse by rubbish managers who say everything is HRs fault to avoid taking responsibility. Or dealing with grievances of employees being mistreated by their manager and somehow you are expected to listen and be all nice and then support the managers. It drives many of us mad, as does the PC nonsense which comes out from some in the public sector. 

As someone who has been working non stop and probably ten or so hours a day for the past two years on one payroll and HR systems project including weekends and evenings the comments and no one sees what goes on,  are just plain insulting and demeaning. 

Grow up comes to mind. Rant over. Please can we get back to the madness of Ebay?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

HR, wherever I have ever worked, are the Death Of Reason; I wouldn't worry about what the likes of them b*ggers.  Nothing a good baseball batting wouldn't sort out...

That's based on your rubbish experience of some for which I am sorry, but please do not paint all of us the same. Its no wonder many in HR end up with Anxiety and Depression having to put up with the constant barrage of comments like that as well as being expected to tow the party line, support the company and be good people when everyone else can do what the hell they like. 

Maybe its my GAD, but I don't find suggestions of violence funny.

• Friendly/supportive 3

I think the problem is that in all occupational groups there are a number of bad apples who give the rest a bad name. Sadly, humane administration of workplace problems is forgotten, whilst the pain inflicted by a minority who enjoy being unsympathetic is remembered for a long, long time by those who have been on the receiving end. I wasn't having a go at you and, I expect, neither was the Johnster.

Anyhow, let's draw a line under it.  Has anyone found some dodgy eBay offerings??!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

I think the problem is that in all occupational groups there are a number of bad apples who give the rest a bad name. Sadly, humane administration of workplace problems is forgotten, whilst the pain inflicted by a minority who enjoy being unsympathetic is remembered for a long, long time by those who have been on the receiving end. I wasn't having a go at you and, I expect, neither was the Johnster.

Anyhow, let's draw a line under it.  Has anyone found some dodgy eBay offerings??!

I haven't checked under @@RARE@@, @@LOOK@@ or Gostu*e today :)

• Funny 5