EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

So, not new new then!! 😆

Saying, in March I won an auction for a Hornby RES class 86. It was a limited edition (I didn't buy it for that reason, I wanted a RES 86) from 1995, that has never been used. The traction tyres are still new, the other wheels haven't turned in anger. The motor is still brand new.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

That would be classed as New Old Stock or NOS in vintage vehicle circles. I've just bought a Lucas six volt regulator, still in its box, it's never been fitted to a bike so still classed as new despite gathering dust since (according to the date stamp) March 1950.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Cleobaby2007, the gift that keeps on giving…

I like to leave any correspondence I have with an eBay seller - particularly if I am drawing attention to an error in their listing that may result in some potential grumbling down the line from a buyer - on a positive note, so I wished cleobaby2007 all the best with their auction.

Seems they weren’t impressed …

“What auction there is no sunroom it’s but it now ?”

FYI - I cut and pasted their response!

What auction? Okay, I get that, they have a BIN listing not an auction as such! Hoisted upon my own petard for using the word “auction” when wishing them well.

It’s but it now … okay, I guess predictive text strikes again and changes “buy” to “but”*

There is no sunroom

Riiiiiiight!

Taken at absolute face value, the above statement is factually correct in regard to their listing in that there is no sunroom … no, it’s a box with some model trains and some track in it, it isn’t a sunroom, even I can tell that is the case!

But then I started to wonder what they could possibly have meant to type there before autocorrect/predictive text mangled their message?

Of course, I am just as guilty in not proofreading my own message before sending it to them and thereby realising I had called their listing an “auction” instead of a straight invitation to purchase before sending it…

But at least the word “auction” makes sense!

WTAF was it they meant to say before sending me there is no sunroom ???

Logically, I suppose they were saying “there is no auction” but try as I might I cannot get predictive text to produce “sunroom” …

Typing the “a” for auction in the above sentence gives me options for “argument” “answer” or “article”

Typing “au” gives me either “audio” or “auction”

I honestly give up! 😆

Again, keeping it positive, I have apologised for my mistake and wished them all the best in their listing.

If they take offence at THAT, I shall resort to good old fashioned Anglo Saxon and bid them farewell!

And on that note (Laaaaaa!) I bid you all a very good night!

🤐

* It does - my own predictive text changed buy to but when I typed it above - and again just now! Stupid predictive text!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added footnote re predictive text
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Saying, in March I won an auction for a Hornby RES class 86. It was a limited edition (I didn't buy it for that reason, I wanted a RES 86) from 1995, that has never been used. The traction tyres are still new, the other wheels haven't turned in anger. The motor is still brand new.

I absolutely take your point, BUT (I cannot lie, I like big buts) if new as in never used etc why so coy about showing the side of the loco most prone to damage when handled?

Hmmmm 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I absolutely take your point, BUT (I cannot lie, I like big buts) if new as in never used etc why so coy about showing the side of the loco most prone to damage when handled?

Hmmmm 🤔

It is weird that they only show one side of the loco clearly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hmmmm 🤔

5 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

It is weird that they only show one side of the loco clearly.

As with most things in life, it's what people don't tell you that is the more interesting part. Politicians are pretty good at it!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I don't do the junior scale, but poor Graham needs feeding so buy the dmu and he might be able to afford a meal.
Graham's Famished

He also "hasn't had any problems with it in classic livery," and, it will be "a lovely adishon to any layout". You have to take a deep breath before reading the description.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, it IS one of the "Hornby Dublo" branded "limited edition" models in the anacronous blue striped Dublo 3-rail boxes, so it must be "L@@K RARE!".  However, if anyone really did want one, they could do a spot of googling and get it for less than half the eBay Scalper price...

And from a conventional model shop too!

Edited by Hroth
spelin, natch!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I know that there has to be a mark up, but I wonder what they would offer a punter for an identical loco?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Balgrayhill said:

I bought a 'new' loco from this outfit at a show, on examining it at the layout I was operating, it was clearly used.  Back to their stand and they point blank refused to take it back or give me a partial refund.  Not even 10 minutes later.

Report them to trading standards

• Agree 3

They make it sound like it was sculpted by gods and painted by angels...  In my eye, there are a few ill fitting seams and the amount of paint on the front buffer is unreal! Sure the lining is top draw, but still not worth the money...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJH-kit-built-Merchant-Navy-Class-LOCO-4-6-2-Portescap-RG4-motor-Goddard-painted-/115399032411

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Looking at the only photo for essentially a £600 item, either I need a new pair of glasses, the only photo is fuzzy, or, does it appear to anyone else that the image appears computer generated? The grey above the wheels on the tender, the main green part of the livery and yellow lining don't look right.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Looking at the only photo for essentially a £600 item, either I need a new pair of glasses, the only photo is fuzzy, or, does it appear to anyone else that the image appears computer generated? The grey above the wheels on the tender, the main green part of the livery and yellow lining don't look right.

A Hornby image, taken from their website .  A lot of their catalogue shots are manipulated in one way or another.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1