EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Let's face it, we're all Oddjobs, but most of us have had our hats taken away.

If you want to get ahead, get a hat!

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, 40152 said:

Worse still, it has a little friend:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185480240349?hash=item2b2f7bdcdd:g:3MQAAOSwS5tiucHR

In fact, a whole Cabinet of Horrors exists. Trigger warning; you’ll not unsee these all day if you look:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185480315248?hash=item2b2f7d0170:g:uO8AAOSwj7xiudKi

Cousin Bubba who lives in the attic award goes to:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185480244081?hash=item2b2f7beb71:g:V8sAAOSwggFiucLK

😳

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185480244081?hash=item2b2f7beb71:g:V8sAAOSwggFiucLK

This one is more Edward Scissorhands!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, russell price said:

In fact I’ve just put a bid in on that princess as my old Lizzie needs it’s missing valve gear replacing. Might even gain an xo4 too, have no worries about dumping the body shell in the recycling bin.

Don't bin it, send it to me for restoration. I would love to see the layout they came from as there is some skill and thought in these models. And the model must pre-date the Wills kit....it's model archaeology, I love it!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Be happy to send it on to you once I’ve nicked the valve gear, oh and the XO4. That said my bidding won’t be going mad!!! My old green Lizzie lost her valve gear when I was little so I could carry on running her after the motion bracket broke. Father decided that as Victoria was managing without , then so could Lizzie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I committed some atrocities with Princess chassis and Airfix kits in my misspent youth, notably motorising a 61xx. There was also an attempt to cut the bodyshell down to make an ersatz Jubilee.  Another Princess mech ended up under a CoT to represent a 43xx with the X04 overhanging the front of the tender.  They ran, though.  Other hideosities included a '42xx' (HD 2-8-0 chassis and Airfix 61xx with a CoT boiler, and a 56xx (Jintygeneric Triang mech, again with Airfix 61xx top parts and plasticard fill piece for the bottom part of the tanks.  The cab profile was completely wrong on those models, and I never really managed the slope-sided GW cylinders on the 61xx or 43xx despite filing away vigorously.  A friend was guilty of a Triang Hornby 8750 on a HD R1 mech that he called a 54xx.  Awful, just awful, we were shameless.

I'm still, 60 years later, playing around with projects that are basically variations on the theme of 'what other engines can I make out of these engines'; see my Collett 31xx attempt!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Regarding the Frankenstein models,

Notwithstanding they are pretty awful the point of this thread is ebay madness not bash the handiwork of others. They look ancient hence no options back then and/or could have been built by someone with challenges in life (physical/mental etc). The seller is starting them all off for peanuts, for which they’re worth it for the parts value. 

It’s not therefore eBay madness, just laughing at the efforts of others, and we are better than that.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I committed some atrocities with Princess chassis and Airfix kits in my misspent youth, notably motorising a 61xx. There was also an attempt to cut the bodyshell down to make an ersatz Jubilee.  Another Princess mech ended up under a CoT to represent a 43xx with the X04 overhanging the front of the tender.  They ran, though.  Other hideosities included a '42xx' (HD 2-8-0 chassis and Airfix 61xx with a CoT boiler, and a 56xx (Jintygeneric Triang mech, again with Airfix 61xx top parts and plasticard fill piece for the bottom part of the tanks.  The cab profile was completely wrong on those models, and I never really managed the slope-sided GW cylinders on the 61xx or 43xx despite filing away vigorously.  A friend was guilty of a Triang Hornby 8750 on a HD R1 mech that he called a 54xx.  Awful, just awful, we were shameless.

I'm still, 60 years later, playing around with projects that are basically variations on the theme of 'what other engines can I make out of these engines'; see my Collett 31xx attempt!

Whilst we're "fessing up", how about when the valve gear fell apart on my Airfix 61xx, I sawed off the front end and built a plasticard LNWR coal tank superstructure to go on top of the now 0-6-2 chassis? 

No, I never did bother to check the wheel diameter or spacing!

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Whilst we're "fessing up", how about when the valve gear fell apart on my Airfix 61xx, I sawed off the front end and built a plasticard LNWR coal tank superstructure to go on top of the now 0-6-2 chassis? 

No, I never did bother to check the wheel diameter or spacing!

Still got all my conversions except the Airfix Schools/Princess S15 and Airfix Mogul/Princess Crab. The proprietor of my long closed model shop liked 'em so much I swapped them for a shoebox full of Triang spares. Where are they now I wonder? 🤔

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 33C said:

Where are they now I wonder? 🤔

On E-bay at a ridiculous price, and if so likely to appear on this thread before long.😜

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

On that subject, a couple of years ago there appeared on Facebook a model bus (white metal kit) that I had assembled and painted but hadn't finished about thirty years ago before I passed it on. The current owner was dismantling it to paint in his own livery.

"Sam's trains" bought my Turbomotive in LMS 1946 livery and gave a very good review! Considering it was the third of 3 Turbomotive's I made, using the leftovers from the first two, I was quite chuffed, higher than some of Hornby's stuff! They were done and sold on the hurry-up, specifically to raise money for something else...

• Like 1

Difficult to imagine for modellers who don't remember the RTR scene of the 60s, but this sort of bodgery and cut'n'shutting was the only way for many of us to own locomotives that were at least a nod in the direction of the type we intended them to be.  In 1965, for instance, GW modellers, those pampered darlings of the RTR trade, had the HD Castle and the Grafar 94xx and 81xx, Triang LOTI, and, um, er...

There were kits, of course, but many of us who were teenagers at the time had not built the skillsets necessary to build them successfully, especially soldering which many of our parents justifiably regarded as likely to injure us, an even if we did paper round money was insufficient to stock a layout with them.  Particularly after the end of steam in South Wales in August '65, when much of said paper round money had to finance mad weekend-long living-off-the-land/ rough spotting expeditions to the far distant fastnesses of the North West of England for the last of the steam; the 15 Guinea Special's aftermath released an appreciable fundage to start my kit-building activities.  I was 16 in 1968.

But in the mid 60s these horrible lokenstein monsters were the only affordable way to 'get' the locos that RTR would not provide for us, and improvements were not particularly forthcoming for some time.  When Mainline introduced their first 56xx, to my absolute delight, it was about 4 months after the release before any stockist in Cardiff had one (I went over to Bristol for mine), and Cardiff is, if anywhere is, the absolute centre of planet 56xx. 

It was a useful learning experience, though perhaps it's greatest lesson was to never attempt such stupidity again.  But were our horrors so much worse than some of the RTR?  Compared to Triang Princesses and HD A4s, underscale length and toylike, and in the case of HD with motor-filled cabs, perhaps not...  Those locos were perfectly acceptable to the general run of modellers, and even in the 70s I can recall letters in the MRC claiming that the tinplate printed underlength 9 inch HD mk1s were superior to Triang, now Hornby, scale length 10 inchers.  Neither were as good as Kitmasters, which were within the capacity of a sausage fingered 12-year old Johnster to successfully build and ran superbly.

There were some less than completely intolerable RTR locos around in those days, locos that, in the light of the acceptable standards of detail and scale were 'not that bad'; I'd mention the Triang 31, L1, unrebuilt Bullied light pacific. and B12, the HD 8F, Castle, R1, and Bullied rebuilt light pacific.  I had a Triang/Airfix hybrid Biggin Hill which was actually pretty good!

Then of course along came Airfix and Mainline, with daylight beneath the boilers and underframe detail, and blew it all out of the water; the foundations for the current RTR world were being laid.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, ianmacc said:

I wouldn't mind a sniff of whatever he is on!

Mike.

• Funny 2

18 hours ago, ianmacc said:

That's an engineer's / machinist's toolbox, I could probably get £75 for that when renovated. Some of the locos would make interesting projects, but at £750, I think somebody has been drinking out of the toilet again - hint, it wasn't the dog!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2022 at 08:57, russell price said:

In fact I’ve just put a bid in on that princess as my old Lizzie needs it’s missing valve gear replacing. Might even gain an xo4 too, have no worries about dumping the body shell in the recycling bin.

If you don't win it drop me a PM and I might be able to help. I'm sure I have at least one maybe two that have been carefully stored ( chucked in the bottom of) a box of old tat. They MIGHT even have been runners when they were ' carefully' packed away 🤗 and they have no historical value or childhood memories attached for me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

£50 for a damaged diecast bus!!!

OK I know the “Northern Scottish” Alexander coach is a rare beast but this one looks like it’s been attacked with a hacksaw and pliers.

Cheers

Darius

With the amount of damage around the drivers area (window pillar missing and glass all gone) you'd expect the steering wheel and seat to show more evidence of the impact. The driver wouldn't have come off lightly either....

• Agree 2