EBay madness

Marcyg

49 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Of course, ‘Lone Ranger’ was a classic…

Taxi?

Well, the definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell overture without thinking of The Lone Ranger.

A Taxi bar, yes please!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, 5944 said:

This prompted me to have a squiz at Hat's 2h pages, something I used to do regularly but got fed up with their shennanigans.  Most entertaining in a 'tsk, what did you expect' sort of way.  They haven't improved; overpriced and obsessed with the condition of the box over the contents.  In fact, the box obsession seems to have led to the practice of photographing the models inside the box, not IMHO particularly informative even if it were done properly, but Hats, bless 'em, photograph with light reflecting off the plastic window, meaning the model inside could be in more or less any state for all we know. 

They are capable of turning up with what look like reasonable bargains; a Baccy BR 4MT tank for £58 (poor box) is not bad, but are inconsistent to say the least.  Are they still using the old excuse of 'new recruit in 2h pricing' to excuse all this?  Come off it, Hattons you scalping scousers, we're not fooled any more!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, 5944 said:

A bargain at £56, apparently.

I used to read their secondhand pages, yes there was the odd bargain, but not anything that I actually wanted. 

It does provide a bit of amusement for a boring train journey though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

A bargain at £56, apparently.

I used to read their secondhand pages, yes there was the odd bargain, but not anything that I actually wanted. 

It does provide a bit of amusement for a boring train journey though.

It kept me entertained for a few minutes earlier as well. I mean, £56 for a badly painted, partly dismantled, Hornby Dublo A4 (without tender), but at least the box is fair condition! You can get a decent model on eBay for £70.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

RoS declined my offer for something yesterday, that with the ebay 15% discount would have been about 90% of the new cost (and it is available new) - apparently they want more than the retail price on a new one for a used one 😆

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

RoS declined my offer for something yesterday, that with the ebay 15% discount would have been about 90% of the new cost (and it is available new) - apparently they want more than the retail price on a new one for a used one 😆

Considering the mark up from what they offer for secondhand items, they do have some "interesting" prices. I generally only buy used items from individuals and new items from traders when it comes to railway items.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Considering the mark up from what they offer for secondhand items, they do have some "interesting" prices. I generally only buy used items from individuals and new items from traders when it comes to railway items.

Normally I can get quite a bit off their initial price by doing offers but for some reason they are sticking to this one. Oh well, I don't *need* it :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Normally I can get quite a bit off their initial price by doing offers but for some reason they are sticking to this one. Oh well, I don't *need* it :)

I've noticed that they have started turning down offer that I'd have expected them to accept 6 months ago. It has led to lost sales.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I think the retailer pays for the discount, not ebay. They usually decline offers when one of those discounts is around for that reason. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

I think the retailer pays for the discount, not ebay. They usually decline offers when one of those discounts is around for that reason. 

The last item I bought from them was also with a 15% discount and a cheeky offer. They initially rejected it but then accepted on the second attempt. This time it's simply declined. Obviously they know how much they paid for it but listing at over retail price new seems daft :)

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

The last item I bought from them was also with a 15% discount and a cheeky offer. They initially rejected it but then accepted on the second attempt. This time it's simply declined. Obviously they know how much they paid for it but listing at over retail price new seems daft :)

i was editing my post but youve replied before i could finish! Ive combined in the past as well but recently theyve been refusing and said it was because of the 15 %

i was after a bogie bolster which they have 57 new but wanted 70 for a very slightly different liveried 2nd hand one, even though i pointed this out to them.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Rails' pricing can be very hit and miss. I've bought locos for £39 that would normally go for at least double that. One this evening I looked at was £109.50, minus the 15% brings it down to £93. The equivalent new is over £200, and it's not that much improved compared to the secondhand one Rails were offering. 

Some of their job lot stuff is keenly priced too, but you get an equal amount which is just a box of tat!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Seems the seller takes a perverse pleasure from selling 'mystery' boxes!?

Two bidders appear to have taken the bait!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shroedinger’s bargains!

I think it’s permitted with the ‘mystery box’ description, but he’s sailing a bit close to the wind IMHO.  After all, he knows what’s in the boxes, and it could be said that withholding this information is deliberately misleading, unless he could prove that he didn’t know what is in the boxes.  And given that he knows that the boxes contain sundry model railway or car bits, sundry toys etc., he can’t really claim that!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2022 at 21:08, Hal Nail said:

The discount is shared between the retailer and eBay.  I do not know the proportions but I was told this by a retailer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Shroedinger’s bargains!

I think it’s permitted with the ‘mystery box’ description, but he’s sailing a bit close to the wind IMHO.  After all, he knows what’s in the boxes, and it could be said that withholding this information is deliberately misleading, unless he could prove that he didn’t know what is in the boxes.  And given that he knows that the boxes contain sundry model railway or car bits, sundry toys etc., he can’t really claim that!

Nope :)

image.png

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1