EBay madness

Marcyg

Well now's the time to sell these, 41s and Baby Deltics, before Dapol and the Danes punt the bottom out of the homebrew market with RTR.

That's the way both my 22 and 23 have gone, in fact I'm nearly tempted to get this one, finish, weather and sell on, at least it's already motorised with a decent platform that's worth the SP on its own.... Hmmmmmm....

I do wonder whether half the reason for crazy bidding is because there's some shill bidding going on.....

Actually, nearly a month ago i reported someone whom i had been watching for some time, i did recieve an ebay acknowledgement but thats all and no further response since then - anybody believe ebay are actually interested in protecting the rights of the buyers at all?

Or, are ebay happy so long as they keep creaming their cut from the seller?

One suspects the only reason for any bidding on this - is for that chassis!!!! The rest is only fit for the bin!

Cheers,

John E.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh I'd like permission to use that as a signature line, please! laugh.gif

Be my guest - though I fear for the sanity of several of us on here relying on fleet quantities of the type.... 'Hello, is that Carlisle Control? Hello? Hello?'

'Should I take a chance on her: one bullet in the cylinder;' RAMONES 'Glad To See You Go,' and frankly I'd have been glad to have seen several of mine go, in fact when they did, albeit back to the box-shifter, I could've serenaded the village Post Office thus....

• RMweb Premium

Searching Ebay for 'Narrow Gauge' I came across this item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ENGLISH-NARROW-GAUGE-RAILWAY-DRAWINGS-TUSTIN-Very-Goo_W0QQitemZ130363657817QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item1e5a478e59

The seller is asking £67.75 :O for a book of drawings that is still available from the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association for £6 - that's a mark up of over 1000%. It just goes to show that not everything on Ebay is a bargain and it's always a case of 'Caveat Emptor' The seller has over 40,000 books for sale and only needs to sell a few like this to show a healthy profit :D

Mike

Hi

How abour a vitrains class 37 with a bit of weathering.

My link

Sell a few of them a week would be nice.

Bob

Yeah, I watched that too, with mounting (then plateauing at £155.00!) disbelief. A few sellers seems to be jumping on HardJeff's bandwagon of late, there was a Heljan 27 for sale, so badly weathered it looked like it had been shotcreted with soot, that was sufficiently non-identifiable it was being advertised as a Bachmann 24.

A few sellers seems to be jumping on HardJeff's bandwagon of late

Hi

I'm not too keen on these over weathered jobs, especially when they start lifting paint and heavy rusting.

I bought a class 37/0 a few months back on Ebay which had been Beautifully weathered by someone called Making Tracks, he uesd to sell a lot of stuff on Ebay and was quite dear. I picked this particular loco up for around 50 quid, an absolute bargin, there are still some to be had on occasion you just have to be patient.

Cheers

Bob

Shall we start a bidding war over Train 13 then, just in case it's a Tinsley double-gronk! I'm not prepared to run the risk on Train 17, it's undoubtedly got an early chassis. wink.gif

I love the way the listing thanks us for watching! Watching what, exactly - paint dry?

Whatever they are they have 20 of 'em [/quote

I think train 3 sounds an absolute bargin, Its Hornby, Dcc, Pre-assembled what more do you need to know, I shall also be watching train 13 in case you have insider information and are trying to double bluff us all.

Cheers

Bob

• Like 1

6026 said :- Actually, nearly a month ago i reported someone whom i had been watching for some time, i did recieve an ebay acknowledgement but thats all and no further response since then - anybody believe ebay are actually interested in protecting the rights of the buyers at all?

Or, are ebay happy so long as they keep creaming their cut from the seller?

To be honest they only seem interested in turning a quick buck. A while ago someone bid £47 for a item I had listed then said it was a mistake. EBAYS RESPONSE WAS LIKE HISSING IN THE WIND.

Regards.

• Like 2

Just noticed this, seems its ok to remove the sound decoders and still list its as 'New'. Look at the prices as well, one to avoid me thinks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45f0c76da0

I think he buys the Locos fitted and removes the decoders and speakers, and then lists them seperately. Using my local shops prices thats profit of £35 per loco if he sells the decoder for £95 and the Loco for £55.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this Class 33 has actually been authentically weathered by being left in someone's loft for guano and asbestos dust to collect on it. Well, that's the polite description for the technique used; others call it pebbledashed:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lima-class-33-weathered-OO-HO_W0QQitemZ270545669819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Trains_Railway_Models?hash=item3efdc74ebb#ht_500wt_1182

Check out picture 2 and enlarge.

Not sure if this Class 33 has actually been authentically weathered by being left in someone's loft for guano and asbestos dust to collect on it. Well, that's the polite description for the technique used; others call it pebbledashed:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lima-class-33-weathered-OO-HO_W0QQitemZ270545669819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Trains_Railway_Models?hash=item3efdc74ebb#ht_500wt_1182

Check out picture 2 and enlarge.

Hilarious, wonder what prototype picture they worked off to create that effect.

I do see you popped a bid on though :D

• RMweb Gold

Is that 'white stuff' on it flour, or mould?

Simple process of weathering - place loco in a damp box and store in a musty old cellar for 3 months, remove, clean off any mouse droppings (just teh lumpy bits - dn't want too much texture), and carefully dry under a 200 watt lamp (not too close of course), photograph and then advertise. I wonder how many more are brewing away below stairs?

Laughing out loud, literally. I've decided my destiny is to watch the Jeremy Kyle show to get myself in the right mindset to do some weathering. Thanks to a certain RMWeb lurker aka our bass player for finding that awesome listing ;)