Tucking Mill

queensquare

Great photos, I'm looking forward to seeing this again! I should be at the York show on Sunday or Monday afternoon - I'm sure I can persuade the other half to do some shopping in town - I'll stop by to say hello and have a butchers at the train turn table!

Graham

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful stuff Jerry. After the comments on the Vag and seeing your coaches I feel tempted to put together the GW ones but they are a bit out of period to go with the Manor (chassis kit in store)

I would be interested in your approach on the terrier chassis. I have the terrier plus some 8mm wheels and was intending to try to build my own.

Don

Thanks Don,

the Terrier has much the same chassis as the Hudswell Clarke - ie. double reduction 100DP gears which gives around 60:1. It has a Nigel Lawton 8mm motor and, rather annoyingly, runs just as well as the Hudswell Clarke despite that having a 8mm Faulhaber which costs about three times as much!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

The layout and stock all look brilliant. But perhaps I need to buy you a paintbrush.

Wonderful,

John

Thanks John,

I will get the stock painted as soon as the warm weather arrives - so don't hold your breath :sungum: !!

That said, I'm hoping to get you over soon with your paintbrushes.

Jerry

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Set the layout up this afternoon to assess what jobs I could reasonably get done before going to Railex in a few weeks and took a couple of snaps of the Mill which gives the layout its name. Quite pleased although there remain a few tell tail black lines around the base. The backscene needs toning back a little as well.

post-1074-0-96847700-1367880249_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-07481500-1367880278_thumb.jpg

This morning I took advantage of the wonderful bank holiday weather and popped down to Tucking Mill for a walk along the S&D and remains of the Somerset Coal Canal.

The first picture shows the delightful Tucking Mill cottage (which I have not modelled), the Mill stood immediately to the right of the cottage - I am stood in what would have been the canal.

post-1074-0-29194800-1367881996_thumb.jpg

The second, featuring Jelly and Jazz, is taken from the tow path of the SCC looking out toward Monkton Combe and Limpley Stoke. The Cam Valley branch ran on the far side of the valley. Tucking Mill cottages are just visible in the distance.

post-1074-0-63225600-1367881949_thumb.jpg

Finally, a flavour of the location

post-1074-0-57122700-1367882034_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 13

Lovely photos Jerry.

I definitely find May and June to be the 'off season' for modelling and in spite of Railex approaching rapidly yesterday was no exception for me - out in the countryside enjoying the nice weather and long evenings although I did get some useful progress made at the workbench once the sun had gone down.

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely stuff Jerry, it was the North Cornwall coast for me at the weekend; and the nearest we got to trains was the Bude Sand Railway.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Trouble with being out and about is you get ideas for another layout. I do like the way Tucking mill is coming along. Is the viaduct on the backscene meant to be the S&D?

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Trouble with being out and about is you get ideas for another layout. I do like the way Tucking mill is coming along. Is the viaduct on the backscene meant to be the S&D?

Don

Too much inspiration, not enough time although I do have plans for at least two more scenes from the NSLR.

Yes, the viaduct on the backscene is Tucking Mill viaduct which I walked over shortly before taking the above picture of the cottage.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

It is rather nice when you can fit in something that gives a real sense of place on the backscene. We must do some walking round there looks like some nice paths.

Don

• RMweb Gold

To give you a better idea of the location and how it all fits in here are a few more snaps from last Sundays walk. We start on the platform at Midford (the first two pictures were taken on a previous visit)

post-1074-0-10347500-1368349692_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-73193500-1368349662_thumb.jpg

then stroll along the S&D trackbed toward Bath - Long Arch bridge in the distance

post-1074-0-59420000-1368348032_thumb.jpg

looking down the bank from the S&D trackbed the outline of the SCC and towpath can be clearly seen - we return on this path.

post-1074-0-43755200-1368348082_thumb.jpg

Long Arch bridge looking toward Bath

post-1074-0-97336600-1368348131_thumb.jpg

After walking past the former goods yard and along Park bank below Midford castle we come to Tucking Mill viaduct. This is the view from the top. The man made lake is on the site of the old settling tanks, the mill was just beyond the trees at the end of the lake.

post-1074-0-34583900-1368348395_thumb.jpg

We continue on to Combe Down tunnel - quite why sustrans saw fit to put up this horrible fencing and barbed wire is anybodies guess.

post-1074-0-88479800-1368348164_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-00204900-1368348205_thumb.jpg

We then follow the path down under Tucking Mill viaduct,

post-1074-0-99867500-1368348247_thumb.jpg

before walking along the side of the lake and coming out by the cottage. The hedge immediately to my left marks the line of the Somerset Coal canal. The Mill would have been in the foreground to the right of the lane.

post-1074-0-63192600-1368348283_thumb.jpg

You then follow the towpath back to the Hope and Anchor for a pint!

Jerry

• Like 15

Sorry to hijack the thread but -

Mention of the Coal Canal brings to mind the story of when the Plymouth Railway Circle were exploring the area using a hired Royal Blue coach looking for any visible remains during the early 1960's.

At one point on a fairly narrow road they encountered a Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm aircraft taking a cross country jaunt on the back of a "Queen Mary" type transporter, during the inevitable shunting the various components came into contact and I have seen photographs taken both inside and outside of the coach showing the stub of an aircraft wing in a position previously occupied by a window!

it has long been a talking point whether there has been another simple R T A involving so many examples of transport in a single incident.

Wally 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds (and looks) devine Jerry, hoping to get up thre this summer.

Let me know whn you're down this way Dave, we can meet up. Every time I see you normally one or both of us are exhibiting and we only manage to snatch a few minutes.

Sorry to hijack the thread but -

Mention of the Coal Canal brings to mind the story of when the Plymouth Railway Circle were exploring the area using a hired Royal Blue coach looking for any visible remains during the early 1960's.

At one point on a fairly narrow road they encountered a Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm aircraft taking a cross country jaunt on the back of a "Queen Mary" type transporter, during the inevitable shunting the various components came into contact and I have seen photographs taken both inside and outside of the coach showing the stub of an aircraft wing in a position previously occupied by a window!

it has long been a talking point whether there has been another simple R T A involving so many examples of transport in a single incident.

Wally 

Be  great if you could post a photo Wally,

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As usual Railex in Aylesbury was excellent and we had a cracking time with a fine selection of guest operators and locos.

Ian Smith was in attendance as part of the St Ruth operating team but when he let slip he had brought his part built GW saddle tank with him he was co-opted into our team - at least until our neighbours came and nicked him back! The loco performed beautifully.

post-1074-0-09165000-1370649233_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-44734000-1370649568_thumb.jpg

John Greenwood supervising one of our guest operators!

post-1074-0-17557600-1370649511_thumb.jpg

Mark Fielder helped out on the Sunday and brought along his tramway Peckett - another fine performer.

post-1074-0-31824500-1370649616_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-85675400-1370649650_thumb.jpg

Finally we have another John Greenwood masterpiece. 'Bodmin', built for his Wenfordbridge layout, spent the weekend undergoing running trials - which it passed with flying colours.

post-1074-0-92604400-1370649685_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-73136900-1370649709_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou for the pictures Jerry. Three very nice visitors there even if two are a little undressed. The Pecket with its skirts look very modest. You don't appear to be bringing a layout to Wallingford weekend off for you?

Don

• Like 1

Thankyou for the pictures Jerry. Three very nice visitors there even if two are a little undressed. The Pecket with its skirts look very modest. You don't appear to be bringing a layout to Wallingford weekend off for you?

Don

Lovely photos Jerry. Hope you had a good holiday.

I thought that brass was the correct loco livery for the North Somerset Light though?

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos Jerry. Hope you had a good holiday.

I thought that brass was the correct loco livery for the North Somerset Light though?

Regards, Andy

Great holiday thanks. 

Some of our top link locos are in nickel silver!

Don

Kim will only just be out of hospital in time for Wallingford so we almost certainly won't be making it for the weekend but I'm hoping to get up there on the Sunday.

Jerry

Some of our top link locos are in nickel silver!

Kim will only just be out of hospital in time for Wallingford so we almost certainly won't be making it for the weekend but I'm hoping to get up there on the Sunday.

Maybe a Budd railcar would be in order then? It might go nicely with the Shay too.

Hope all goes well and hope to see you at the Expo.

Regards, Andy

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following a Board meeting the Directors decided that maintaining the locos and coaches in a brass and/or nickel silver livery was simply beyond the means of the NSLR and the decision was therefore taken to paint the stock. To see the results come along to Railwells this weekend where Tucking Mill will be in attendance along with many other fine exhibits in the beautiful city of Wells

For those who can't make the show I will try to get some pictures up next week.

Jerry

• Like 4