What is this?

Hopefully this will be an easy one to answer? Can someone tell me what this half cylinder shape is on the end of LMS P3 coaches? I've noticed it is a few pictures of P3 stock in their late BR days. Is it something to do with ETH?

post-118-0-88242200-1329433932.jpg

Thanks....Morgan

Is this one of the "LMS" set from the SVR (I note the '3' designation on one door)?

I travelled in the set earlier in the week and was reading the info posted inside each coach end, which was quite informative. I noted that they only specifically mentioned the Brake second as having been fitted with ETH for early WCML electric services, but didn't know what to look for in relation to fittings and stuff (where the MK1's have jumper cable points I couldn't see anything in a similair position)

What type of coach is it?

Brilliant thanks for to all who responded. It seems blindingly obvious what it is now. I guess the more difficult question is from what date did fire extinguisher blisters appear on the ends?

Edited by mlgilbert30

I guess the more difficult question is from what date did fire extinguisher blisters appear on the ends?

Cannot answer that one save to say the appearance of the extinguisher pod seemed coincident with the removal of all but the bottom end steps. The pod could appear left or right of the gangaway connector. So I would say between 1960 and 1965.
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 19/02/2012 at 11:59, coachmann said:

I guess the more difficult question is from what date did fire extinguisher blisters appear on the ends?

Cannot answer that one save to say the appearance of the extinguisher pod seemed coincident with the removal of all but the bottom end steps. The pod could appear left or right of the gangaway connector. So I would say between 1960 and 1965.

Dredging this back up from over 8 years ago, but just to add that it looks to have been before 1960.

There is a photo on colour rail (ref BRM307) of Fairburn 41238 running round at Oxenhope, dated October 1956.  The end of the D1999 TO has the extinguisher fitted at this point - but it won't long have been through the works for conversion to push pull fitting.