Hornby Push Pull Set R4534

Jim104

Received mine today and I must say full credit to Hornby for producing such a splendid model. The only criticism I have is for the packaging. The polystyrene tray makes removing and repackaging it a little nerve-racking given the fine detailed parts. And the tissue tends to disintegrate quite easily. It's not something you want to do that often. Having said that, the solution is to compress the polystyrene a little prior to sliding them back in - seems to work okay and saves you having to nervously wiggle them back in.

Received mine today and I must say full credit to Hornby for producing such a splendid model. The only criticism I have is for the packaging. The polystyrene tray makes removing and repackaging it a little nerve-racking given the fine detailed parts. And the tissue tends to disintegrate quite easily. It's not something you want to do that often. Having said that, the solution is to compress the polystyrene a little prior to sliding them back in - seems to work okay and saves you having to nervously wiggle them back in.

I won't have these problems, my set will be staying on the layout!

The problem with high demand and limited production is that Hornby are playing right into the hands of the ebay "scalpers" - what price will these sets be fetching on ebay soon if no further production is scheduled?

The problem with high demand and limited production is that Hornby are playing right into the hands of the ebay "scalpers" - what price will these sets be fetching on ebay soon if no further production is scheduled?

I'd have thought that because they have sold out so quickly will mean that there is a rapid second run of these, but with different numbers because that's the way they work these days. Might be a larger batch though because the first lot sold so quickly.

I'd have thought that because they have sold out so quickly will mean that there is a rapid second run of these, but with different numbers because that's the way they work these days. Might be a larger batch though because the first lot sold so quickly.

It does not always follow that because a 'new' product initially sells well, subsequent production does likewise, it is not that easy to judge how ongoing sales will in the current financial climate.

It could be that most of the demand is already satisfied.

Also I would imagine that given the limited production facilities which seems to be available at the factory it might not be that simple to produce a further batch quickly.

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

It will be interesting to see what happens when the rest of this production run arrives. Will it all sell out or will retailers be left with some on their shelves and not have the cash available to invest in new product? Hornby however seem to be getting it right with production matched approximately to demand - as long as none of these coach sets are left on their shelves they've done the job properly albeit possibly with a bit of unsatisfied demand and in the current economic climate that's exactly how they should be running their business - and hoping for a similar result with everything they produce.

• Like 4

It could be that most of the demand is already satisfied

Not quite - I missed the boat! Surely we can trust Mr Kohler's response that there will be more on their way?

I sincerely doubt that demand is satisfied. I'm sure that most who identified the 'need' for one on their layout or within their collection will have pre-ordered and received theirs, but not everyone has the financial stability to pre-order months in advance. I would expect that there will be a fair few people try to snap up the next batch for later inflated sale on eBay too, and I can see them going just as fast as the first lot.

Let's not forget its a relatively cheap way of getting hold of a complete and accurate train and will perhaps be the catalyst for many a southern micro-layout.

610 seems to have been a particularly widely travelled set, spending time as the Westerham Flyer and on the South West section so that will probably have enhanced its sales.

*edited for spelling*

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform

I had a heck of job finding any retailers with them in stock, but eventually found one at a good price. Arrived this morning, it's superb!

Demand vs supply is always tricky to get right, as it's ultimately a niche item, but I'm sure another batch would sell, there must be people that have not been able to get one. Bizarre that retailers are saying it's discontinued with no further supply, yet Hornby say there's more coming?

I'll be watching eBay with interest, anybody guess at over £100 for the first? lol

• Like 1

Re: 'Order cancelled' notifications

I may be reading more into this, than I ought,...but...

....Is this Hornby's way of limiting supplies to the major 'box shifters' , and by doing so, guarantees the smaller retailer a fairer share of the market ?.

Something along the lines of Bachmann's advice to retailers, earlier this year, with regard, not to discount more than 15% off RRP for a period of 8 weeks after their release of a new product.

Reading between the lines, it appears, to me (only?), that the manufacturers are realising that they have to re-instore confidence among the small model shops...

.Without which, we'll all have to shop at.......Hattons......Tescos.......Rails........Sainsburys.......?

Guest Belgian

Looking at the photo in post 67 herein and those on Hattons and Rails websites, it appears that not only has 30029 got the 'wrong' smokebox without rivetheads, and dogs on the smokebox door but also has a rather poorer chimney rim profile than earlier releases, being somewhat thick on the edges and a little 'scratched'. Has the mould already been worked to death?

JE

• RMweb Gold

Despite the pull-push sets appearing nearly 10 years after my intended timeframe, I began to be a bit concerned about whether these were ever going to see the light of day again. Then there was the question of a suitable loco. I do have a pull-push fitted M7 - but it wears SR olive, which would be silly. Obviously the full set with period M7 made more and more sense. An Internet search found this http://www.rrrmodels.co.uk/Hornby-r3087-pullpush-train-pack-coaches-p-2898.html?osCsid=6bjl9aco4qgaf8j3lmtg7rqnp1 for £152 post-paid worldwide. Too good to miss, so I've plunged in head-first. I will ignore the errors on 30029's smokebox....

My coach pack arrived yesterday and the models do look rather nice. I didn't go for the full train pack as I already have two black M7s with push-pull (or pull-push!) equipment. The coach set has not actually turned a wheel on my layout, yet ... maybe after work today ... :)

No doubt SRman, you will enjoy running some new coaches on your layout, with a southern region flavour. The Pull-Push set look excellent. I was tempted, but decided no. I have 5 locos to come over the next 6 months and now have some O gauge track to add to the budget. I have ordered a OO gauge LNER Push-Pull coach from Kirk/Coopercraft.

There is another batch on the way in July.

Enjoy

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived yesterday as well - as others have said it really is superb. Fortunately mine came out and went back into the polystyrene tray with no problems - it wasn't wedged tightly at all.

The newly announced R3159 M7 30055 is illustrated on the back of the box. It is in lined black with late crest.

EDIT: to delete incorrect information - as per Graham's post below.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

The newly announced R3159 M7 30055 is illustrated on the back of the box. It is in lined black with late crest but, from the side on view shown, it appears that the smokebox has the same errors period-wise as 30029 in the train pack.

I am afraid you have made an incorrect assumption with respect to the use of dog clamps on the smokebox door, this is a variation within the class and is not period related. Whilst 30029 as modelled by Hornby is incorrect as she retained solely the smokebox dart, the dog clamp arrangement is totally correct for 30055 as in the livery of the Hornby release.

I hope this clarifies and will stop any perpetuation about errors that are not actually errors.

• Like 6

For anybuddy in, or near, the Poole, Dorset area, Setchfields, 21-25 High Street, Poole, BH15 1AB, Tel. 01202 673300 had, at least two of each (R4534 / R3087) packs, yesterday.

I don't think they offer mail-order service tho'. No e-mail or website either.

Many thanks for the 'heads up' - arrived down in Dorset on holiday today and just popped into Setchfields and snapped up the last one of the coach packs [R4534]! Actually the set is described on box as both R4534 AND R4524 just to confuse things!?!

Thanks again.

Looking through some colour portfolios for additional info on the pull-pushes, keep coming across pic's of the Adams Radial tanks, surely this is a model that is overdue to be manufactured by the main strean rtr factories.

Graham Muz has clarified his understanding of the outstanding deliveries on his website ;

"............As per my subsequent post regarding

availability of these sets here

further deliveries to complete retailers outstanding pre-orders of R3087 and R4534 should be completed in July. I would add that this does not mean that retailers whom have either not got outstanding orders or ordered enough at the time will be able to order more of this batch as they may already be all accounted for."