Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MinerChris said:

I hope that this is accepted Jerry, as otherwise I'll have to withdraw my entry as well...

Needless to say but you've got more progress in a couple of weeks than mine has in six months.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, I'm a big believer in not prevaricating, experimenting or trying to reinvent the wheel, doing too much "I'm  thinking about" or "I'm still researching" and generally cracking on and making stuff which, for me, is where the most fun in the hobby can be found.

Regarding the shed being eligible I've emailed Andy and await a reply. As I said, I'm not too bothered either way as I'm building it as part of the big project and just wondered if, with a bit of modification in the way its displayed, I could enter it.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Chris, I'm a big believer in not prevaricating, experimenting or trying to reinvent the wheel, doing too much "I'm  thinking about" or "I'm still researching"

Absolutely Jerry. I have a modelling friend who spends more time building cupboards to put his lathe tools in for a lathe that he never uses instead of getting on with some real modelling!

It's 'paralysis by analysis'!:biggrin_mini2: 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

Absolutely Jerry. I have a modelling friend who spends more time building cupboards to put his lathe tools in for a lathe that he never uses instead of getting on with some real modelling!

That sounds horribly familiar!

3 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Have you been reading my diary?

6 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

we have a member of our area group who spends all his time planning a layout.  We refer to him as 'Mr Gunnado' as he's always gonna do something.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/03/2019 at 12:46, queensquare said:

This morning, with the aid of some card and ply offcuts and a couple of clothes pegs, I mocked up a proscenium arch with a 600mm viewing opening which can be temporarily fixed to the front of the shed to see how it would look, areas outside the 600mm would be regarded as off scene. If its deemed acceptable within the rules I will be entering the shed into the jubilee challenge.

Jerry

Keeping the coaling stage on stage and the loco shed going off into the wings gives much better visual balance than losing the coaling shed; along with, potentially, greater operating interest.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2019 at 19:08, queensquare said:

... Seriously, I think the 600mm length is too restrictive to tempt me to build anything worthwhile ...

Jerry

I agree and that is why I didn't bother either. If the rules had said you can draw a box 600mm long and 'just ignore the rest of it' I might have put an entry in too.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

On 24/03/2019 at 23:42, CF MRC said:

Maybe we should enter Randall’s Knob off CF.  But the tracks would be invisible in the goods shed and the York Road tube would be invisible under ground. 

Tim

442652C6-8C58-482D-9ED6-466CB8B36F10.jpeg

I cannot help feeling some track is required for it to actually be a layout. But it would not surprise me if that did not actually get specified in the rules.

Chris

24 minutes ago, Chris Higgs said:

I cannot help feeling some track is required for it to actually be a layout. But it would not surprise me if that did not actually get specified in the rules.

Chris

Given that the rules state a minimum of one working turnout, I think that might be classed as trackwork?

No restrictions on the tracks being hidden in tunnels/buildings though. Anyone remember the exhibit (not a GJLC entry) at the Golden Jubilee Expo in Oxford where the tracks were buried in snow?

Andy

23 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

we have a member of our area group who spends all his time planning a layout.  We refer to him as 'Mr Gunnado' as he's always gonna do something.

I don't have a problem with people who just dream or plan layouts.   If they're happy, then what is the problem ?   

Just as I don't have a problem with layouts made from Hornby Double-O out of a box, or entirely of ready-to-plonk buildings, or Faller+Fleischmann+Roco "Mad King Ludwig" fantasies, or anything else if the owner is happy.    I might not be fascinated by them myself, but most people I know are not interested in the models I make either. 

- Nigel

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I've just emailed Jerry regarding the questions he raised earlier, and thought that it would be useful to post the answers here too.

Using a 'temporary' backscene on a larger layout to enclose the DJLC scenic area is fine and an entry on this basis would be acceptable. I think this is what 'MinerChris' is doing on his entry (if my reading of his blog posts elsewhere on RMweb is correct?)

The use of a 2ft wide opening and proscenium arch to create a restricted view of a larger layout would not satisfy the rules. 

If anyone else has any questions regarding the DJLC, please feel free to PM me (to avoid clogging-up Jerry's thread)

regards,

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

I've just emailed Jerry regarding the questions he raised earlier, and thought that it would be useful to post the answers here too.

Using a 'temporary' backscene on a larger layout to enclose the DJLC scenic area is fine and an entry on this basis would be acceptable. I think this is what 'MinerChris' is doing on his entry (if my reading of his blog posts elsewhere on RMweb is correct?)

The use of a 2ft wide opening and proscenium arch to create a restricted view of a larger layout would not satisfy the rules. 

If anyone else has any questions regarding the DJLC, please feel free to PM me (to avoid clogging-up Jerry's thread)

regards,

Andy

Thanks for clearing that up Andy. I probably wont bother to enter the shed for the GJLC as I would either have to loose the coal stage or run a backscene through the middle of the shed which is a lot of faffing around to loose six inches at each end.

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The good weather has meant that progress has slowed dramatically as the needs of the veg garden call but I have managed a bit of plasticard whittling after dark - namely to the two wooden buffer stops required. The Midland made quite extensive use of these substantial blocks and there are drawings and photos of several variations in Midland Record No.7.

The only photos I have of the one beside the Midland shed are at the end of its life when a combination of rotting timber and one or two rough shunts mean its difficult to work out exactly which variant it is, the other behind the coal stage I have even less info on.  I've therefore done two of the more common  types and hope they aren't too far out. Painting, weathering and turf on top to go.

The rail built stops will utilise the excellent Association kits for Midland stops.

Jerry

684856621_20190329_094359(2).jpg.b70d36caea0e5f47c871a5ccf9389c22.jpg1558046964_buffer001(2).jpg.910292e6601fa7d5aac651eb42f27403.jpg1398988882_MRshed001(2).jpg.1980b1c7664800b9b8b41e059b948fa7.jpg632700592_20190329_094325(2).jpg.1ce7ee3ca58905e4d007b409946a4ae0.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, queensquare said:

The good weather has meant that progress has slowed dramatically as the needs of the veg garden call but I have managed a bit of plasticard whittling after dark - namely to the two wooden buffer stops required. The Midland made quite extensive use of these substantial blocks and there are drawings and photos of several variations in Midland Record No.7.

The only photos I have of the one beside the Midland shed are at the end of its life when a combination of rotting timber and one or two rough shunts mean its difficult to work out exactly which variant it is, the other behind the coal stage I have even less info on.  I've therefore done two of the more common  types and hope they aren't too far out. Painting, weathering and turf on top to go.

The rail built stops will utilise the excellent Association kits for Midland stops.

Jerry

684856621_20190329_094359(2).jpg.b70d36caea0e5f47c871a5ccf9389c22.jpg1558046964_buffer001(2).jpg.910292e6601fa7d5aac651eb42f27403.jpg1398988882_MRshed001(2).jpg.1980b1c7664800b9b8b41e059b948fa7.jpg632700592_20190329_094325(2).jpg.1ce7ee3ca58905e4d007b409946a4ae0.jpg

I am assuming the prototype photo is late in the life of the shed? The rail-built example is of neither MR or LMS pattern, looks GWR to me.

Chris

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Chris Higgs said:

I am assuming the prototype photo is late in the life of the shed? The rail-built example is of neither MR or LMS pattern, looks GWR to me.

Chris

The picture is post closure so could well be WR - all earlier pictures I have from a similar angle have trains in the way!

I've used one of the Midland etches and hope for the best. As usual, a picture showing both in my period will turn up shortly after I have fixed and ballasted my best guess:)

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, queensquare said:

The picture is post closure so could well be WR - all earlier pictures I have from a similar angle have trains in the way!

I've used one of the Midland etches and hope for the best. As usual, a picture showing both in my period will turn up shortly after I have fixed and ballasted my best guess:)

Jerry

It could be LSWR. From my meagre collection of books in the S&D I have found 5 photos of bufferstops (Evercreech Junc, Midford, Wellow) and all are of LSWR pattern.

Having said that, this is the MR shed.

Chris

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris Higgs said:

It could be LSWR. From my meagre collection of books in the S&D I have found 5 photos of bufferstops (Evercreech Junc, Midford, Wellow) and all are of LSWR pattern.

Having said that, this is the MR shed.

Chris

With the formation of the Joint Committee the Midland had responsibility for motive power whilst the LSWR looked after S&T so the latter's style buffer stops out on the line is not surprising though Bath was always a Midland station, the S&D ending at Bath Junction.

The Western Region took control of the S&D in 1958 so your original thought would make sense.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Jerry!

We had a short on Balcombe during a recent set-up which took a long time to find. Of course it was yours truly's fault as I had driven in a small track pin that had bridged the gap!

There were other faults on the gapping as I didn't adhere to the Baron's advice of checking the gap on each sleeper before you solder it up!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

Indeed Jerry!

We had a short on Balcombe during a recent set-up which took a long time to find. Of course it was yours truly's fault as I had driven in a small track pin that had bridged the gap!

There were other faults on the gapping as I didn't adhere to the Baron's advice of checking the gap on each sleeper before you solder it up!

Many years ago (acg5324 of this parish will remember this) we had a short on Brighton MRC's model of Strome Ferry. After what seemed like hours of testing, disconnecting and reconnecting wires we noticed that somebody had placed an old wagon in a siding. It was a three-rail wagon...

• Funny 5