Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
On 30/08/2019 at 07:20, queensquare said:

With the 2mm AGM at Swindon Steam next weekend I'm keen to get the Midland shed finished though I also have to get Tucking Mill set up and tested - how many Cobalts will need replacing this time. After that, priority is a pair of Fencehouses Black Fives I'm building.

Jerry 

To answer my own question - three Cobalts failed when tested. The original Cobalts really are a pile of junk. I'm not sure I can even be bothered to send them back again, two have been back once already and allegedly repaired and tested.

Jerry

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, queensquare said:

To answer my own question - three Cobalts failed when tested. The original Cobalts really are a pile of junk. I'm not sure I can even be bothered to send them back again, two have been back once already and allegedly repaired and tested.

Jerry

Ditch all the old ones and replace them with new iP or Omega versions. I'm sure that if you send the old ones back and offer to pay the difference in price DCC Concepts will be happy to discuss a deal (usual disclaimer).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ditch all the old ones and replace them with new iP or Omega versions. I'm sure that if you send the old ones back and offer to pay the difference in price DCC Concepts will be happy to discuss a deal (usual disclaimer).

Ive emailed DCC concepts with an offer to send them the old ones and pay the difference to upgrade to the new ones. Id like to be able to recommend Cobalts to other modellers and customers but my experience of the original design is not good. We shall see.

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Jezzer,

FWIW I too had problems some years ago when I purchased a box of twelve from a certain "box shifter", six of them were of no use after a few movements.

I contacted the original seller who unfortunately didn't want to know, I therefore contacted Cobalt by email ( who were in the process of moving to this country at that time ).

The following day I had a response from the Australian HQ and was told there would be some replacements in the post.

Six days later a box of six arrived from Oz with a note explaining there was a manufacturing problem with a certain batch of the earlier motors of which they had been aware.

Bottom line is they responded very quickly and when tested the replacements were of the newer type.

Ironically I am now going over to using servos which will suit my needs.

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Our club purchased a load for their new fiddle yard (IP analogue), and a dozen went up in smoke. Cobalt refused to repair them as they reckoned too high a voltage had been applied. I have repaired one by replacing the on-board surface mount voltage regulator that had exploded (cost 20p). I have not had time to look at the others yet.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Ive emailed DCC concepts with an offer to send them the old ones and pay the difference to upgrade to the new ones. Id like to be able to recommend Cobalts to other modellers and customers but my experience of the original design is not good. We shall see.

Jerry

I can definitely recommend the iP versions, both analogue and digital (usual disclaimer again).

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Our club purchased a load for their new fiddle yard (IP analogue), and a dozen went up in smoke. Cobalt refused to repair them as they reckoned too high a voltage had been applied. I have repaired one by replacing the on-board surface mount voltage regulator that had exploded (cost 20p). I have not had time to look at the others yet.

DCC Concepts' manual says they will work between 7 and 23 V dc. I run mine from DCC Concepts' own-brand +9/0/-9V dc split potential supply. They work fine.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry, some lovely works of art there. I managed to make my coaling tubs out of strip so I could fill them with coal, but I work in 4mm. Did the same trick with the wheels but I used tube rather than rod.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...