Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good Jerry. It will be well worth the trouble  I think.

In response to John. I am not a fan of the corrugated bitumen sheets they lack rigidity. I would add bitumous mastic to the fixings as you cannot screw or nail them down tight as the sheets distort.

Don

• Moderators
22 hours ago, queensquare said:

No changing my mind now!

F8B3B792-6359-4901-93E1-87ECC1EA302A.jpeg.35b028f285a000c2ebbd9fcc5d48a4ba.jpeg

I think the 'brave' comment is applicable to you standing on the old roof!

Let me know the address for flowers and grapes.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

There shouldn't be any fear of the new roof sagging from the look of things, but I hope the walls won't bow under the increased weight!

For his next trick, Jerry will replace the walls. There will shortly be a call for volunteers to hold the roof up while he does that.

Then, of course, the foundations will need strengthening. That's when it will get really interesting...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

For his next trick, Jerry will replace the walls. There will shortly be a call for volunteers to hold the roof up while he does that.

Then, of course, the foundations will need strengthening. That's when it will get really interesting...

What's the geology like around there Jerry?

Chris

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

There shouldn't be any fear of the new roof sagging from the look of things, but I hope the walls won't bow under the increased weight!

John

Those little cross ties near the top of the roof are there to stop the rafters spreading. 

Don

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I have done that with a Garage replacing timber and asbestos with block walls. A couple of acro jacks and doing it a section at a time.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

I might have shed more than a few pounds since the start of the year but even I wasnt daft enough to get on the roof to strip the old felt without putting some temporary props in!!

Regarding weight, the old timber roof with heavy duty felt was probably not much lighter than the new one and was far from adequoutly supported. The walls had spread by a couple of inches in the middle - hence the sagging but I pulled that in with a pair of 6' sash cramps before fitting the new rafters. The A frames and a proper ridge board will stop any sagging or spread in the walls now.

Close of play saw the roof on, boarded and then tarped ready for the rubber next weekend. Get a good view of the veg garden from up top as well - picked a handful of strawberries this afternon - about ten days earlier than last year. 😀

Jerry

IMG_7400.JPG.5b3a9931a8c99078b4c09a702d3979a0.JPGIMG_7397.JPG.f11d53ad022abf2dab460b719590100a.JPGIMG_7406.JPG.db536e91a6dedea7c8781bd67704049c.JPG

best of luck at least Kim removed your crackers off the washing line

Nick B

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Looking very good, clearer here than on your phone - great to see you both earlier!

Bonne nuit

Simon

Glad you made it home ok, indeed a splendid evening.

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Looking good Jerry. Did you decide not to do the extension in the end?

Fingers crossed it will be done in the next few weeks although June is already very busy.

Jerry