Bath Queen Square

queensquare

45 minutes ago, Yorkshire Square said:

What livery are you going to do it in? Lined or unlined? Weathered? 😉

Being a shed, should it not be in EWS, Gbrf or some such livery? 

Jim (whose knowledge of motorised biscuit tins is very limited) 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Yorkshire Square said:

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Square said:

Definately unlined. I suspect it will be weathered, dark creosote as I will need to try and blend in the collection of pre-loved materials its built from!

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Oh, I don't know, put a porch on and it could look a bit like an A4. Lined Apple Green would delight the neighbours, I'm sure... 🤣

• Funny 1

Nice job on the framing Jerry.

As I'm not from where you are did you need a permit to do the works or are garden sheds exempt?

Here in oz they make us get a permit for just about everything.

Edited by VRBroadgauge

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

9 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

Oh, I don't know, put a porch on and it could look a bit like an A4. Lined Apple Green would delight the neighbours, I'm sure... 🤣

My good mate and renowned Highland modeller Laurie Griffin, has just had a new shed/workshop built in the garden but his allegiance is being questioned as its finished in a very smart Caley blue. Despite the colour it’s still been dubbed the Highland Lodge!

Kim favours a dark green which would go some way to blending the assorted materials together and she is the boss after all so ....

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, VRBroadgauge said:

Nice job on the framing Jerry.

As I'm not from where you are did you need a permit to do the works or are garden sheds exempt?

Here in oz they make us get a permit for just about everything.

No need for a shed permit here - just as well for a shed enthusiast like me! I’m hoping to have enough bits and pieces left over to give the chicken run a makeover.

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

No need for a shed permit here - just as well for a shed enthusiast like me! I’m hoping to have enough bits and pieces left over to give the chicken run a makeover.

Jerry

AIUI, size (possibly as a percentage of plot area) matters.

A neighbour has had some difficulty over erecting such a structure on an unused corner that he owns between other dwellings. Council regards it as equivalent to an allotment and doesn't want to allow anything over 10x8.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Kim favours a dark green which would go some way to blending the assorted materials together and she is the boss after all so ....

How about Cuprinol 'Old English Green'

My new 'micro shed' now complete and full already!

20220605_112035.jpg.4a28f06a028fd0943b476e0053b4f64e.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, queensquare said:

Rain has held off so good progress today. Time now for BBQ, beer and probably some bubbly.

3C865042-82EC-4295-8983-771D1ED95E42.thumb.jpeg.dbaa8a1c25ed739f878856015cf0dd4e.jpeg 

Clearly the dawgs are wondering just where their bed is going to end up, all this outside becoming inside can be very confusing, and what with the sky getting higher too...

Seriously, that looks fantastic Jerry, I don't myself think you can beat the creative re-use of what has gone before, new timber framing going on too, deep joy. Your work bench set up by that window is going to be fabulous, overlooking the vegetables - bliss

Really looking forward to seeing what you do next!

In my own mad world I have at last finished the "hard landscaping" and am now contemplating watercourses, just got to lift that Pittisporum up a bit....

IMG_2165.jpg.4d6b2e8c422f3618686f2f700cad0c49.jpg

But seriously, bloody well done on your own transformation Jerry, it is such a joy to see it all coming together in your lovely garden.

All I need now is chickens, still reading your book....

Simon

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Clearly the dawgs are wondering just where their bed is going to end up, all this outside becoming inside can be very confusing, and what with the sky getting higher too...

Seriously, that looks fantastic Jerry, I don't myself think you can beat the creative re-use of what has gone before, new timber framing going on too, deep joy. Your work bench set up by that window is going to be fabulous, overlooking the vegetables - bliss

Really looking forward to seeing what you do next!

In my own mad world I have at last finished the "hard landscaping" and am now contemplating watercourses, just got to lift that Pittisporum up a bit....

IMG_2165.jpg.4d6b2e8c422f3618686f2f700cad0c49.jpg

But seriously, bloody well done on your own transformation Jerry, it is such a joy to see it all coming together in your lovely garden.

All I need now is chickens, still reading your book....

Simon

The hard landscaping is looking great Simon, an operating well with a stunning view.

At this rate of progress I reckon we might be able to hold the next high level Larkrail conference in the new shed annex.

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There are regulations concerning sheds in the UK last time I checked

Planning permission

provided that a) it is within height limits  and b) your house isn't a listed building or in a consevation area or other special area

you can cover up to 50% of the plot with sheds.

building regulations 

small sheds are exempt.

medium sized sheds  if close to the boundary there materials should be fire resistant.

larger sheds  the building ccontrol may want to check the structure is sound

Don 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Donw said:

There are regulations concerning sheds in the UK last time I checked

Planning permission

provided that a) it is within height limits  and b) your house isn't a listed building or in a consevation area or other special area

you can cover up to 50% of the plot with sheds.

building regulations 

small sheds are exempt.

medium sized sheds  if close to the boundary there materials should be fire resistant.

larger sheds  the building ccontrol may want to check the structure is sound

Don 

There's also regulations regarding amount of usable floor space inside as well. I know when I ordered mine (20' X 10') that it was close to needing planning permission, but once insulated inside the floor area is (just!) within limits.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 5944 said:

There's also regulations regarding amount of usable floor space inside as well. I know when I ordered mine (20' X 10') that it was close to needing planning permission, but once insulated inside the floor area is (just!) within limits.

I dont think it would be planning permission the inside floor area define wether a small /medium or large shed 15sq m is the threshold for a medium shed  30sq m for a large one 

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ian Morgan said:

Additionally, the shed needs to be at least 1 metre away from a boundary, I believe.

shed.thumb.jpg.e1bd4dc1deff4e2741b5ca058b5331a3.jpg

The 1 m is to do with the fire risk a medium or large shed within 1m of the boundary needs to be of fire resistant material. Local byelaws may insist on the 1m for any shed. I m from the boundary does also mean you can get around it to clear rubbish and treat the shed when needed. You can always store moveable items in the space between the times access is needed. 

Don

• Like 1