New OO gauge Class 73

Guest oldlugger

Some great Class 73 clag from this 2012 video.  Watch out for the sparks from the ex-Gatwick Express driving trailers as well.

Extraordinary train! Well captured

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first hope is that Dave will have it tied down firmly enough by then so that the Chinese unexpected 'adjustments, modifications and improvements' won't happen! 

My second hope is that Dapol's contracts with DCC Supplies will again allow the latter to put right any of the above!

My third hope is, as others have said, that Dapol realise that they need to find Dave's clone!

Richard

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like the two new guys Dapol have contracted to replace Dave, the MD's of, respectively, Tower Models and DCC Concepts, have very high credibility. Here's hoping the Class 73 appears in the foreseeable future.

I see ex-Dapol Dave has started up on his own, but with some niche products for 2014 - I know I will get into a lot of trouble with somebody for saying they are niche - but they are, aren't they???!!

not tower models but lionheart trains

Looks like the two new guys Dapol have contracted to replace Dave, the MD's of, respectively, Tower Models and DCC Concepts, have very high credibility. Here's hoping the Class 73 appears in the foreseeable future.

I see ex-Dapol Dave has started up on his own, but with some niche products for 2014 - I know I will get into a lot of trouble with somebody for saying they are niche - but they are, aren't they???!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any hint of a sign that the Dapol Class 73 is still on the way? 

think the 00 version was announced earlier this year so wouldnt expect to see anything just yet unless they were already well advanced with tooling at the time.  Be nice to see an EP at Warley this year but it seems too soon.

When I left in August, there were still more than a considerable handful of things that needed doing on the JA & JB versions that hadn't been touched on the cad/cam when I left.

Obviously this project is now down the the new guys to take forward and they've only been in situ 30 days, leaving them no chance to identify changes, let alone having the cad cam altered and subsequently approved for metal cutting.

Remember its 6 weeks or so to lay out the tool, them at least another 6-8 wheels to tool themodel with slides for the 2 main versions.

This means a first shot (taking into account CNY) possibly for Ally Pally 14 if the cad/cam got altered and signed off by today.

HTH

Dave

When I left in August, there were still more than a considerable handful of things that needed doing on the JA & JB versions that hadn't been touched on the cad/cam when I left.

Obviously this project is now down the the new guys to take forward and they've only been in situ 30 days, leaving them no chance to identify changes, let alone having the cad cam altered and subsequently approved for metal cutting.

Remember its 6 weeks or so to lay out the tool, them at least another 6-8 wheels to tool themodel with slides for the 2 main versions.

This means a first shot (taking into account CNY) possibly for Ally Pally 14 if the cad/cam got altered and signed off by today.

HTH

Dave

Thanks for the update! I’ve got 6 on order! Looks like at least a year away to me. Complete guess, I must add, just going on past experience. I don’t want to even think about the CL41 Warship or Bulleid 10201..........2016 anybody? That’s if they don’t get cancelled, which concerns me.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update! I’ve got 6 on order! Looks like at least a year away to me. Complete guess, I must add, just going on past experience. I don’t want to even think about the CL41 Warship or Bulleid 10201..........2016 anybody? That’s if they don’t get cancelled, which concerns me.

I guess it's likely that they'll be bumped down the order by the new 68.

Cheers,

Mick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Read this on the Kernow Site

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/68/Class_73_ElectroDiesel

Dapol Class 73 Electro-Diesel OO Gauge

* * * This project was cancelled by Dapol on 8th November 2013 and this page remains for archive purposes only * * *

Seems to refer to the Network Rail versions for certain but there are also the weathered variants listed on the same page.

• RMweb Premium

Read this on the Kernow Site

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/68/Class_73_ElectroDiesel

Dapol Class 73 Electro-Diesel OO Gauge

* * * This project was cancelled by Dapol on 8th November 2013 and this page remains for archive purposes only * * *

Seems to refer to the Network Rail versions for certain but there are also the weathered variants listed on the same page.

It's not the only Kernow/Dapol project to fall by the wayside.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78426-statement-from-kernow-mrc-on-ltdedn-models-via-Dapol/&do=findComment&comment=1218849

Cheers,

Mick

As of today, despite the commissions cancellation, Kernow are still showing 4 different 00 Class 73 Dapol standard models as available for pre-order on their web site. Details for each state model is "still under development and delivery date unknown", and warns that the picture is of the N gauge model. I pre-ordered many moons ago and Kernow haven't sent me a cancellation email, so I can only presume that Dapol still intend to produce these. However, apart from the old news item stating the Kernow commissions were cancelled, there is no reference on Dapol's web site to the 00 Class 73's. That is quite normal for them, I believe, as they only seem to announce models on there when they are imminent or in stock.

Mike

• RMweb Gold
Just to clarify, the class 73 in 00 was initially announced by Dapol as part of their main range and work appears to be progressing on them. The Kernow Model Centre limited editions referred to exclusive livery versions which are now longer being produced for Kernow, however these of course may appear at some stage in the future via Dapol.