New OO gauge Class 73

6 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I saw these at Alexandra Palace too and the colours did look like a big improvement on the first batch, I see they are also doing sound fitted ones, I wonder what sound project they are using. I should have asked.

Sound fitting these models is extremely easy. IMHO, I feel it is not worth paying the say £120 extra when you could do it cheaper yourself and fit stay alives.

I wonder if they have improved the electrcial pick ups. 

• Agree 1

On 20/03/2022 at 18:57, adb968008 said:

Seen at the Dapol stand yesterday..

the blue (and yellow) looks improved on the last runs, the GBRF livery looks very good.

426D5D85-C692-4841-B6C0-C7AA732AC093.jpeg

B37BED75-2BF6-46DB-8355-FA30C5FF232C.jpeg

09528A33-8A10-4F99-8494-334035959427.jpeg

9A1CA872-C121-45B9-AF5F-5A1356AD99A7.jpeg

I'm glad the BR blues are so much better. I might be tempted to get another one of these now. However, looking at the photos, those early BR blue (not Electric blue as described!) with the small yellow panels should not have the panels wrapping around the cab corners.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Sound fitting these models is extremely easy. IMHO, I feel it is not worth paying the say £120 extra when you could do it cheaper yourself and fit stay alives.

I wonder if they have improved the electrcial pick ups. 

It is indeed very easy in my opinion too but I would still be interested in knowing where the Dapol sounds come from. There is no mention of stay alives in the Dapol spec. either.

15 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

When i viewed these i thought 73109 was a strange choice.... Id like a GB liveried one, but ive not long purchased 73109 in NSE, If i were Dapol i think id have chosen another example, maybe an un named one, if they have any un named ones.

Its a current/contemporary livery, these sell well, people want what they can see running on the mainline right now

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interested in buying 73002 but I notice that none of the images of what I assume are decorated samples have the extra jumper cable on the front.

I know the green Dapol 73/0s had them fitted, so I am hoping this is just an oversight at the decoration sample stage.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2022 at 21:04, Roy Langridge said:

Interested in buying 73002 but I notice that none of the images of what I assume are decorated samples have the extra jumper cable on the front.

I know the green Dapol 73/0s had them fitted, so I am hoping this is just an oversight at the decoration sample stage.

Roy

Theres more than the extra cable, theres an extra window on the body too, which Dapol modelled also.

Have patience, they are good at detail, and are finally getting the colours right too

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LaGrange said:

Theres more than the extra cable, theres an extra window on the body too, which Dapol modelled also.

Have patience, they are good at detail, and are finally getting the colours right too

But that is in part my worry, they have used the right body and wrong jumpers in the photos they show of there new offering.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2022 at 17:22, Roy Langridge said:

But that is in part my worry, they have used the right body and wrong jumpers in the photos they show of there new offering.

Roy

Best you do not buy it so, leaves one more for everyone else 😉😉

• Funny 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hattons have sent out an email for new liveries:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/1860/dapol_oo_class_73_electro_diesel_#models

Bearing this in mind, and that I never got any of these before despite them being on my radar, can anyone inform me as to their shortcomings?

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Hattons have sent out an email for new liveries:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/1860/dapol_oo_class_73_electro_diesel_#models

Bearing this in mind, and that I never got any of these before despite them being on my radar, can anyone inform me as to their shortcomings?

Some didnt like their shade of Blue, others the top speed is quite slow.

Otherwise not a bad model.

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Hi,

Only the first batch were a slightly poorer model, the second and later batches are a much much better model.

Simon

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I don't know what batch mine came from, but the performance was very poor - jerky at all times, and intermittently stopping with loss of power.

I believe the design of the pickups is flawed, but others might be able to shine a light on that.

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Shade of blue ?

The warning yellow and most other colours were wrong as well.

I got the original green one, that was probably the most accurate of the first batch.

All the best

Ray

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

I don't know what batch mine came from, but the performance was very poor - jerky at all times, and intermittently stopping with loss of power.

I believe the design of the pickups is flawed, but others might be able to shine a light on that.

It was the pick-up design on the first one, way back in the thread was the remedy to modify the pickups (involved soldering new ones) and improving the running.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

Hi,

That would be from the first batch, which did have a poor pick up arrangement, but there is a simple (well, once you have the bogie keeper plate off!) solution that others have described in thread previously that sorts the performance out.

The second and later batches have a re-engineered pick up arrangement and perform a whole lot better.

I have two from the first batch and two from the second. The first batch ones would come out to run at an exhibition for a couple of minutes before I got frustrated with them, where as the second batch ones ran for an entire weekend with no problem whatsoever!

I have since improved the performance of the first batch ones with modified pick ups.

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

I have two from the first batch and two from the second. The first batch ones would come out to run at an exhibition for a couple of minutes before I got frustrated with them, where as the second batch ones ran for an entire weekend with no problem whatsoever!

This is reassuring, thanks.

It's a nice bodyshell tooling etc, it was one of the more disappointing purchases. 

I did compound the problem by buying the dutch engineers' version, with the lemon yellow that might be correct, but matches no photo I've seen 🙂  Hope the new owner is enjoying it more than I did.

Edited by andythenorth

22 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Thanks all for the replies.

I take it there are no serious howlers with the body shape or details?

As part of a service to humanity, I have gone through the entire thread. There were a few discussions about roof shape and dimples but in general body shape and detailing appear to have satisfied pretty much everyone. 

As a recap, the entire thread reads like the standard early 21st trajectory of new model announcements:

- New model announced. Specification suggests it will be the greatest thing ever made;

- Everyone delights that they will sell all their old models and re-equip their fleet with the new release;

- Several years/pages of discussion whilst EPs and sporadic news is digested and everyone waits...and waits...and waits;

- Models arrive. Initial joy is punctuated with the revelation that the factory in China has painted something the wrong colour/wired the electrics wrong/glued bits on in the wrong place or not at all so that they fall off (the 73 it must be admitted achieved all of this);

- Failure of the manufacturer to abase themselves, destroy the production run and make new ones causes wailing and frothing about the human rights abuse of promising the greatest model ever and failing to deliver; threats to involve trading standards; and in this case at least one post (I kid you not) where the person decided to give up railway modelling because of the disappointment at the release;

- Eventually, various posts as to what can be done to sort the errors if you still wish to buy the model;

- Batch 2 made, manufacturer sorts the problems apparent in batch 1;

- Eventually some other model distracts everyone's attention

Oh, and it is compulsory for every new release for at least one person to say that at x price they do not consider they should have to fix any defects (even the Accurascale Deltic got that remark, and that has been as well received as any model released in the past decade or so)  

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, letterspider said:

I still have two models from Batch 1 that I need to modify - have the images of the bogie and PCB modifications been lost?

Try here:

• Informative/Useful 1