TGauge HST

tomsquires

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We bought my brother the HST starter set for his 50th birthday this weekend...and he loved it.

He sent me this pic of it posed next to the original Grafar HST in N and old Hornby 4mm HST...really puts the scale in perspective...

post-3290-0-45106900-1368572792_thumb.jpg

L to R : 4mm scale - 2mm scale - T gauge

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi , true but you can lose it ! T HST runs a treat and now you can get the clear coach bodyshells and the 23m type chassis for the motorised buffet car so possible to add more power if you need it.  The body shell has a corridor connection moulded on end unlike the other clear shells.  More bits and pieces of stock and buildings on Shapeways 3D printing site as well.

Robert    

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hey guys,

I was at Ally Pally for the BRM exhibition and got a bit of video of the new HST they're bringing out. Absolutely amazing, I'm already on the pre order and I model 00! I tried to convince myself reasons not to do it but...my willpower is as strong as a toothpick holding up a brick, which probably explains why my girlfriend has so many handbags. Ah well...Enjoy!!

That must be the slowest HST I have ever seen!

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

I caved in and got the HST starter pack. It is absolutely superb. The level of detail and the running qualities are hard to believe. I don't know if there have been further improvements recently, but my HST runs far better than the one shown above. I have a "Series three" controller, and the slow speed control is astounding, I can get it to creep along smoothly so slowly you can hardly tell it is moving, and yet it does not stutter or stop. In fact it seems to perform better than my 00 stuff! So if you want to model a carriage washer it will move through at a realistic speed no sweat.

The level of detail is good too, you can make out the roof detail on the power cars, the grilles are moulded and not painted, and even the Mk3 coaches have roof ribs!  The livery is well done too, even down to representations of numbers and what I presume is the word "Guard" on the rear doors of the power car. Certainly far too small for even the best eyesight to read without a magnifying glass!

The only slightly adverse comment i can make is that presumably due to the size of the components, the red tail lights appear a little too close together - the headlights look just fine. An improvement if possible would be to have only the right hand tail lamp as you look at it lit, which was how they operated when introduced and would reduce the 'two red dots near the middle' effect.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As an N gauge modeller I have never really got used to the comments about my gauge from those who model in the default gauge (OO). "Ugh! Too small to see" or "Diddly Fiddly Gauge".

Those who can't even see or handle a loco if it isn't approaching 12" in length are never going to "get" T gauge. To me N gauge is the ability to show trains in a landscape. I probably won't try T gauge but I can see its attraction. To me it seems that it's about the challenge of making something really tiny actually work. Maybe scenic layouts aren't even important to its existence?

• Agree 1

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

The shapeways site shows Ivan Industries has having a feast of GW railcars for around £20. It would be possible to have a bit of fun with the twinsets as built for the BHM - CDF service. But easiest livery would be BR Green in the Bristol area, albeit the parcel car would have to be Carmine and off route!  Fantasy livery - rail blue to go with the HST. 

• Thanks 1