Park Road Loft Layout

fishytrains

• RMweb Gold

Work has been slow on the layout so far. Mainly because of having other things to sort out having been away for six months! Anyway, one area that I have been considering for sometime is the mainline switching from the front of the loft to the back. I have now come up with a solution, which seems to work, as shown in the photo.

68537cce6bb3f0b545e9967a17bee4f5.jpg

This will need wiring up, the actual sides of the viaducts making up, catenary for the OHLE equipment fitting and scenery adding! Not much to do! Before that can happen I need to finish sorting the branchline which runs under this section. That mens fitting a point motor, ballasting the track and also the scenery under  the bridge which is to the right of the picture. Hopefully progress will be made on this soon.

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very slow progress, mainly due to the lovely warm weather and the need to do some work in the garden. That said I have started adding the stone facing to the rear bridges as well as joining them together. More progress in the near future, hopefully, and possibly even some photos to go with it!

Mike

• Like 1

Very slow progress, mainly due to the lovely warm weather and the need to do some work in the garden. That said I have started adding the stone facing to the rear bridges as well as joining them together. More progress in the near future, hopefully, and possibly even some photos to go with it!

Mike

good luck with it mate every little helps as they say .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit of an update is finally possible, on my last day in the UK until Christmas. Weather has been lovely, but not for progress on the layout!! Any way, I have relaid the track at Walnut Grove station and will need to re-bed the platforms, at later date. 

image_2.jpeg

The above is an aerial view of the one end. Below is the other end of the station.

image_1.jpeg

The final one shows the station which is the original Metcalfe kit in red brick, but with the scalescenes printed paper overlaid. Also in the station is a Class 105.

image.jpeg

I have also managed to fit some more decoders to some locos. The class 31, seen hauling a rake of coaches into the fiddle yard.

https://youtu.be/s48jUrNwFus

The class 55 performing the same task.

https://youtu.be/cu-C7PHRPKc

There is a third video clip, but that has not uploaded yet, so I will add it when it has.

Mike

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A long time since I last had a chance to do anything on the layout. I have just finished a holiday, at home for a week. This enabled me to go to the London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace, my first model railway show for five years. I was there on the Sunday and was surprised at how quiet it was. That said, it was very easy for me to spend a lot of money! The main expense was purchasing the DCC Concepts Alpha Box and Power units to create two power districts on the layout, which I need. Once I had sorted out a gremlin in the wiring I was able to run a couple of trains on the layout, although track cleaning is needed, as well as relaying some of the track. Hopefully when I am back in the summer I will be able to complete more work on the layout, as well as a few more purchases on the control front!

Mike

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been back two weeks, and this week the weather has finally been cool enough to venture into the loft. So far, I have replaced some lights with the LED strip lights, much brighter and less likely to hit my head on. I have also taken up three points, ready to drill holes to fit point motors, which hopefully I will be able to do tomorrow. Then it is a case of soldering more dropper wires and then maybe a chance to test part of the layout. Still a lot of sorting out with track and points and point motors to do, before the whole layout will be up and running fully once again. in the meantime I might also make a start on some more of the scenery!

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Two out of the three points motors were fitted today, amongst much swearing, mainly because of trying to attach the point motors to the underside of the baseboard in an awkward place and dropping a tiny screw that holds the moving arm in place and losing it amongst the detritus (sorry stored items) on the loft floor!). I also had to completely replace one of the points. Still they are fitted and they work. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to progress further. Also need to try and source some very small screws, as I am likely to lose more knowing me! No photos as yet, as it is not particularly exciting!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Source for screws found, although in a small pack with other things! Two more point motors fitted and working. Now need to sort out some wiring on this section of the layout. Did try running a train from on e power district to another, but once on the second power district found I could not control the train! Need to find out what I am doing wrong, which is difficult for today and tomorrow as I have University visits with my son. So no further work on the layout, but some research time to sort out the problem, I hope.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Slow progress due to a variety of other things and warm weather, making it too warm for the loft! Six point motors now installed. Wiring of the fiddle yard completed. I have also assembled three of the Metcalfe mini kits, but the items assembled haven't been positioned so no photos as yet. Hopefully some more progress on Thursday, weather permitting.

Mike

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It would appear that my photos are no longer available. I will not be upgrading the Photobucket account, so when I have some time, I might try to replace the photos already on here. No new photos at the moment, as I have been having problems with control on the layout, which has demoralised me somewhat and means very little progress has been happening, not that I have had much opportunity any way! The control problem has been resolved thanks to various email conversations with the UK based operation of DCC Concepts, who I have found to be extremely helpful. Now I just need to find the time to get back into the loft. Not easy as the rest of the family are out on a regular basis and I have to stay downstairs looking after the two dogs and new puppy, which is a pain. Not helped by the knowledge that I only have two more full weeks at home before I go back to work in Kuwait until Christmas. What I really need is to get a new job in this country, not sure that is going to happen either, partly because I am looking for a change, but don't have any real ideas of what to do instead of teaching!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress. I have now installed nine point motors. I have completed some Metcalfe mini kits, station benches, picnic tables, bookstore and station clocks. I am mid way through the stable block as well. I have added some more stock to the layout, the Hattons war well wagons. Still need to complete the wiring, but keep putting that off! At some point I will take some more photos and post them up here.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some further progress. I am now at the point where I can start the wiring of the second return loop. I have ordered a reverse loop module as the one I had is no longer functioning. I have also included some photos of some of the changes to the layout. First up is the girder bridge for the main line crossing over the branch at Walnut Grove. At present the bridge is just loosely attached to try for size. It will be glued and painted in time.

post-15199-0-95838500-1504122000_thumb.jpg

The second image shows a pair of class 20's on an empty MOD train.

post-15199-0-85817100-1504122193_thumb.jpg

The final image shows the Warwell wagons from Hattons. At some point these will be adorned with tanks and other military vehicles. Once the wiring is complete this will be the test train for the layout so far.

post-15199-0-93095200-1504122229_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Final update for the summer. I managed to complete the wiring of the return loop and run Class 20's round it. After such a long time, it was very satisfying to finally see a train running round this section of the layout. Unfortunately this was finally achieved late on Monday evening and I left the country early on Tuesday morning, so did not have time to take a video. Maybe when I am next home that will happen. The sense of achievement after all this time is palpable. The next major task is to complete the re-build of the mainline section, but that will be next summer at the earliest!

Mike

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spent a bit of time at home over the Christmas and New Year holiday. I did manage a brief amount of time working on the layout. Completed some more of the wiring and constructed the Metcalfe underpass kit for Walnut Grove station. No pictures as I only finished it shortly before having to leave home until the end of February. I did manage to give some of the track a clean and run a Class 105 DMU round part of the layout. This highlighted where some of the wiring still needs to be sorted. However, once that is done, I will record a video and post, but not yet!

Happy New Year to everyone.

Mike

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been back for about a month now and have made some progress on the layout, despite the lovely warm weather. I have fitted some colour light signal from Train-Tech, the sensor variety, now need to make the cable trunking to hide the wire connecting the signals. I have finally started work on building the platforms at Digby Junction station. Wiring of the branchline is complete, although some bits do need checking. Track needs to be cleaned in order to have a running session. I have also acquired a Class 50 from Hornby, which has been run in. At some point I will take photos and post them on here.

Mike

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I ran out of time. After the last post, my wife and I were on holiday for most of August and I am now back in Kuwait, for what will be my final year. Various reasons, mostly I need to be back home, which does mean that the layout might start to make some more rapid progress, but not for another twelve months! I did manage a couple of sessions in the loft, which included fitting some cable trunking, only a small section, as I was keen to see if it would do what I hoped it would, which it did. I also added a steam loco to my fleet, 'City of Birmingham' with TTS. This means the Duchess I have will be returned to 'City of Nottingham' as my son will be studying at university there for the next three years.

Hopefully some more progress in October and again at Christmas.

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress was very limited when I was at home for the October half-term. Such is the way of life at the moment. Once I am back home permanently progress will happen more quickly. Just the small matter of the next seven months to get through and the potential of another warm summer. What global warming?

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little more progress when I was back home for Christmas. A couple more sections of cable trunking have been laid, I have now found a way that works well, with my fingers crushing them! I have also completed the girder bridge shown in an earlier photo. This now needs to be painted, as job for the summer. I have also removed the track from the mainline as I felt it was more appropriate for it to be laid with concrete sleepers. The original return loop has also been lifted as it had not worked properly for sometime. I have purchased a couple of rolls of cork, so again, when I am home in the summer, I can commence the relaying of the track. Hopefully all these changes will improve the running, as I will be in a position to run trains through the autumn this year, for the first time in seven years! A mere 22 weeks to get through now!

Happy New Year to all

Mike

• Like 1