GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Andy, l think l have some smaller later ones somewhere, l think you gave me some a while ago will have to hunt for them........

Peter, l can only agree with you, l too would love to southernise them, if only they didnt line the inside of the tanks and all around the steps and splashers, such a pain to get right, and if your slightly out it glares at you that its wrong, so l will stick with BR(SR) for the moment anyway.......

George

l think she is ready for a nice coat of grime ? , (if is not raining at the weekend l will do it then), here she is on the test-bed and she seems to be running very nicely,

l did enjoy building the B4 (thanks to Brake Compo for the initial push), making the steam chest and valve gear to work properly was a challenge, but we got there in the end. l had to move the front steps out a bit for the motion to work (error on my part)

What next ? well l am waiting for the bits l need to complete the Fowler 4F, hopefully they wont be too long away,

post-7716-0-81225300-1340103886_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 3

Hi Kev, Yes they are both from HMRS, l really like FOX transfers too, but l had run out of them, so l had some of the HMRS in a box for quite a while l thought l'd use them up, as she is in for a heavy weathering l should get away with them.

I have been watching your 14xx taking shape, and what a cracking job you have made, tell me were those coal guards on the rear cab windows as hard to build as they look ?

Hi, Well l am glad the B4 project is now all finished, l have enjoyed it a lot, she now joins the rest of the fleet and is ready for service,

i did the weathering today, also weathered another Adams loco O2, l really like my locomotives to be really grubby (as l remember them) also made all the push-pull gear out of scrap bit and pieces of of the scrap box, not 100% but it looks about right to me.

post-7716-0-00580200-1340386017_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-00065900-1340386090_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-41003900-1340386146_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-67765100-1340386217_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-68135200-1340386314_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-10113600-1340386381_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 11

You're right there George. The weathering does hide the poorer quality of the HMRS transfers very well. Both loco's look great.

Thanks for your kind words. The coal gaurds weren't difficult, just a bit time consuming bending 10 lengths of wire to the correct size for each window. The Modern Outline 14xx kit comes with a nice little jig to make the job easier. No such luxury with a Scorpio kit.

Peter, All the photo's l have seen of the push-pull version's on the O2's, seem to have the gear on the other side to that on the M7's. l just love loco's that have pipe's and bit's all over the place, wouldn't mind building a USA tank as they seem to have lot's going on too ?............

Kev, It's amazing what you can get away with when your loco is well weathered ?. will you be giving your 14xx a bit of a weathering too ?........

BC, l'm not too sure about that ? l thought all the gear for the push-pull working's were on one side only. all the picture's l have don't show the other side, will have to check ?..

You're right there George. The weathering does hide the poorer quality of the HMRS transfers very well. Both loco's look great.

Thanks for your kind words. The coal gaurds weren't difficult, just a bit time consuming bending 10 lengths of wire to the correct size for each window. The Modern Outline 14xx kit comes with a nice little jig to make the job easier. No such luxury with a Scorpio kit.

Same with my Springside 45xx. I used piano wire so the inevitable waste was low cost.

Kev, It's amazing what you can get away with when your loco is well weathered ?. will you be giving your 14xx a bit of a weathering too ?........

Definately! My loco will certainly be getting a good coat of grime.

Kev, That's great new's, l was at my club last night and one old guy had on show his newest loco, it was a DJH standard class 5, 4-6-0 and it was so polished (it was awful, to me anyway) honestly you could see your face in the boiler and tender side, l said if that was mine it would have to have a coat of grime, he was horrified then he said it cost him over £2000, yes it was a great loco and ran great, but it looked just like a tin-plate toy, just sparkling as she went around, to him it is his pride and joy, nothing wrong with that, but l like mine to be filthy, just as well we are not all the same.

george.

Hello DLT, Yes you are spot on, l have alway's had trouble with the leading axle, there is never enough clearance between the coupling rod's with the nut on the wheel, l have had to grind the nut down to almost nothing, even then it was still catching, the only thing l could do was to bring the front step out a little, as you say it must have be a nightmare in 00' the only kit l ever built (badly) was a KAY'S white metal kit of a southern K class, and that put me off building kit's and that was thirty odd year's ago.

george.

Kev, That's great new's, l was at my club last night and one old guy had on show his newest loco, it was a DJH standard class 5, 4-6-0 and it was so polished (it was awful, to me anyway) honestly you could see your face in the boiler and tender side, l said if that was mine it would have to have a coat of grime, he was horrified then he said it cost him over £2000, yes it was a great loco and ran great, but it looked just like a tin-plate toy, just sparkling as she went around, to him it is his pride and joy, nothing wrong with that, but l like mine to be filthy, just as well we are not all the same.

george.

IMHO beautifully clean and shiney loco's are great if you just want to put them in a display cabinet and admire them, perhaps even give them an occasional run on a test track at an exhibition or on a club layout. But most of us strive for accuracy with our models and that doesn't just mean getting the details right when we build them. It also includes the paint work and weathering. Real loco's, particularly in the BR period were almost always dirty, and I like my models to look real!

Kev, You're spot on, a well built loco with all the correct bits and bobs on looks great, and if the weathering is just as good then you have a model to be proud of, looking forward to seeing your 14xx with a coat of hard work grime.

george

BC, l'm not too sure about that ? l thought all the gear for the push-pull working's were on one side only. all the picture's l have don't show the other side, will have to check ?..

Yes just looked a couple of photos - there should be reservoir on both sides - will PM you some photos through, although might take a few days as I am pushed for time at teh mo.

Hello BC, Appreciate your help whenever you can, (l have made a few mistakes with the 02'), l have tried to make a push-pull version, but the number l had chosen 30189 was in fact scrapped in 1933, so need to number her to 30182, and add the missing reservoir, also there seem's to be about four steam/vacuum pipe's on the buffer beam to add as well, the photo's l have seem to be all taken on the same side,

Its all in the detail and reserch mate, I am sure you will get it spot on soon, Do you want me to add the rust under the chassis, streaks around the boiler and Gunmetal on the buffer heads when we get together mate? Andy.

Hi Andy, Thank's for the offer, but l want to sort it out myself, l will get there in the end hopefully ?, there is so much help and information around on the subject, l was watching a DVD on weathering, and he had no spray booth at all, he just sat out in the garden with a selection of paints and his airbrush,and a cake turn-table, great stuff, just got to pick a nice day, but living in Manchester there are few day's of sunshine, if you are lucky ?...........

george.