When the real thing looks like a model

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It’s good, but let down by the track being laid on those ballast mats. Just looks wrong, no ‘relief’ to the ballast, or even an attempt to get it closer to the sleeper tops. 

Should’ve tried re-spacing the sleepers too.  

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice locos but don't you have any coaches?

And why is it so difficult to get headcode characters right?

It's not like they're so complex 🙄

EDIT: where is this a model of? a quick google search for 1N83 in steam days seems to suggest a Bournemouth-York (if the 'N' means NER then it is pre-1967)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

My only niggle, and I agree it's trivial when the overall standard is so good, is that one sees those same 3 plastic sheep, a ewe and 2 lambs, on so many layouts. Bit of a cliché really.

It also gets on my nerves when a modeller can't be bothered enough to glue down figures and animals properly, and leave them at un-natural angles...

image.png.a1f30852fa7ea87a7dd6a4343e8361df.png.95b4ef730cd9a265af88c3686425ffe2.png

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Crianlarich photo diorama ... somewhere to pose your Rule 1 purchase of a Colas 37 and some of those neat little scenic items from your local model shop ... perhaps ??

6BA9B45C-8052-4327-BB68-4CBF38BB8542.jpeg

Edited by 03060
  • Like 17

On 08/07/2021 at 19:48, montyburns56 said:

37072 at Kings Lynn 1983 by Jamerail

SC-653

I am just catching up on this thread and when I saw this photo I genuinely thought it was a model photo and it was only when I read some of the comments I realised it was the real thing - uncanny.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

I’ve always disliked flat gable ends being used as a back scene as I think they look so unnatural, but it works in this picture. So I thought I would try and find out why. Blanking off the chimney visible behind the gable give the scene a different look and it looks even more model like.  So maybe that’s the answer, if you use flat gables add some extra details behind them to show that the world does not end at a blank wall. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1