When the real thing looks like a model

Isn't the title of this thread "Models can look just like the real thing" and not "The real thing can look just like Models" as it seams to have turned into?

It started out ok and very interesting but like so many other threads in the Prototype section has gone down hill as it has gone more and more off topic.

Come on guys Lets get back on thread.

• Like 1

Isn't the title of this thread "Models can look just like the real thing" and not "The real thing can look just like Models" as it seams to have turned into?

It started out ok and very interesting but like so many other threads in the Prototype section has gone down hill as it has gone more and more off topic.

Pete, I see what you mean -  but the topic description has gone (they've disappeared from all topics) I believe this thread was originally titled:

"Models can look just like the real thing - but can the real thing look like a model?"

The topic descriptions - or 'sub' headings - were especially useful in the layout section to convey the latest developments in a thread. Perhaps they will return?

Regards, Les

edited for typo's

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

western sunset's opening post said:

Was in North Devon last week when I took this snap of a certain village (which gave its name to a Bulleid pacific). To me it looks more like a perfect model rather than the real thing; almost like a model village.

Can the real thing be too perfect and appear model-like?

if the topic has drifted, it's only as far as any prototype pic looking like a model - they don't have to look too perfect, just any combination of view/subject/lighting etc

In any translation, dialect or slang, "Models can look like the real thing" means just that. But there ain't any models on this thread! Crikey, I thought I had dyslexia!  It should read "The real thing can look like a model" before these 7 pages of images make sense K.O.

Edited for poo grammer.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Pete, I see what you mean -  but the topic description has gone (they've disappeared from all topics) I believe this thread was originally titled:

"Models can look just like the real thing - but can the real thing look like a model?"

The topic descriptions - or 'sub' headings - were especially useful in the layout section to convey the latest developments in a thread. Perhaps they will return?

Regards, Les

edited for typo's

• RMweb Premium

the setting is realistic enough, but the deltic is obviously straight out-of-the-box. the BSK just looks grubby and they didn't have the correct sheet for the number, so have used smaller ones they had instead.

and i don't think they've finished the layout yet as the backscene goes right across the tracks just before the curve! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8364519516/in/photostream/

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

the setting is realistic enough, but the deltic is obviously straight out-of-the-box. the BSK just looks grubby and they didn't have the correct sheet for the number, so have used smaller ones they had instead.

and i don't think they've finished the layout yet as the backscene goes right across the tracks just before the curve! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8364519516/in/photostream/

And it looks like Peco track with the sleepers too close together.

Cheers,

Mick

no it isnt, it was the Models can look like the real thing but can the real thing look like a model.

photos of the prototype, such as out of focus shots or from a high view point.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I see what you mean -  but the topic description has gone (they've disappeared from all topics) I believe this thread was originally titled:

much as i hate the reference to 'invisible ink'

yes, the title of the thread is all to cock now, but it wasn't before

presumably would take western sunset or andy Y/ mods to change it

I fail to see how this has gone "off topic" at all.......

IMHO, it has been, and continues to be an interesting one

Like so many other topics, when you discuss matters around a subject,

you get different ideas and opinions....

You stick to a narrower remit, you get less......

so keep posting folks :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Can the real thing look like a model? Or models like the real thing? Take your own angle on these!post-7138-0-67421600-1358276379_thumb.pngpost-7138-0-54964700-1358276429_thumb.png

Those two have to be Kato trains dont they?

And who says all model figures cant look the same?post-7138-0-95798800-1358276466_thumb.png

All from the Bejing - Shanghai Railway - station, trains and staff

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 11

This is a news article I spotted where a Train cleaner in Sweden stole a train and landed up in someones appartment when they ran out of track !

There are about six pictures in all but the one below looks really strange. I'm not sure what's going on in the background, maybe a coastline with water? but the picture makes it look like a painted backdrop, you can even see what looks like the top of the board, and perhaps some of the print peeling away on the right.

http://news.uk.msn.com/swedish-train-crash-in-pictures#image=4

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took this photo a couple of years back, just after Christmas, on the Dean Forest Railway
Just looking through my photos for something else, and it struck me how the 08
and the whole scene appears rather "model like" - perhaps even "toy-like"?

The 08 is very clean, and the vehicles around are also clean, and brightly coloured...
add to that the fact that the snow has not yet turned to slush, and yes, I think it does look almost toy-like....

post-2973-0-07057600-1359562203_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I took this photo a couple of years back, just after Christmas, on the Dean Forest Railway

Just looking through my photos for something else, and it struck me how the 08

and the whole scene appears rather "model like" - perhaps even "toy-like"?

The 08 is very clean, and the vehicles around are also clean, and brightly coloured...

add to that the fact that the snow has not yet turned to slush, and yes, I think it does look almost toy-like....

Looks like one of the Xmas snow scenes that always seemed to turn up in the December issue of magazines in the 70s with Triang stock and spray on snow.

• Like 1

Looks like one of the Xmas snow scenes that always seemed to turn up in the December issue of magazines in the 70s with Triang stock and spray on snow.

Yes indeed. This is probably aided by the fact that there appears to be no snow on the branches of the trees in the background......

Edited by marc smith