Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)

roundhouse

Apologies for any confusion that my post caused, but it looks like all the information is straight now.

I did mean that Tangmere is the only Southern built locomotive with a wide cab in preservation, having had this changed at some point after withdrawal by BR, and same to the MN tender. Again, I apologise

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for any confusion that my post caused, but it looks like all the information is straight now.

I did mean that Tangmere is the only Southern built locomotive with a wide cab in preservation, having had this changed at some point after withdrawal by BR, and same to the MN tender. Again, I apologise

Interesting to note your original comments as I hadnt realised that it had so many changes in preservation.

I  would like to do a preserved version at some point and at least I am now aware before doing so.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The above two pictures posted clearly show the difference and easiest way to spot a wide vrs narrow cab. The split line between the cab side and the boiler side casing starts straight away at the lower edge (level with the tender side lower edge) on the wide cab but does not start until higher up the cab side on the narrow cab version (level with the edge of the side casing above the wheels) The width of the flat front to the cab under the window line is also noticeably different.

In model form

21C159 has the narrow cab the split starts level with the top of the black skirt

post-243-0-33915800-1334836269.jpg

34090 has the wide cab

post-243-0-95847900-1334836292.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The cab spectacles are also noticeably wider on the 9' cab.

Indeed they are just like the flat front face I mentioned but the split line is the easiest to spot when you don't have both versions side by side to compare.

Odd thought, but if I was to look at doing a model of Shaw Savill with a 10,000gal, 10T 8-wheel tender (and other tweaks) as was mooted for the real thing, what would be the general thought on that? Good idea, or not a good idea?

Odd thought, but if I was to look at doing a model of Shaw Savill with a 10,000gal, 10T 8-wheel tender (and other tweaks) as was mooted for the real thing, what would be the general thought on that? Good idea, or not a good idea?

Good idea, in my opinion - something different. However, does it really matter what anyone else thinks? If you want to build any model for your own pleasure, then that's the only justification you need. 

• RMweb Gold

Definitely been widened in that shot. Can't put my finger on in but the cab looks somehow different from other 9' versions. I wonder if it's an illusion or if it's a preservation compromise outline. Weird.

Chris

I agree, the roof line appears comes down at a different profile and lower than would have been usual, compare it to the shape of the spectacle plate on the tender, the top edge of the drivers window is also low compared to the line of the washout plugs.

• RMweb Premium

ChrisI agree, the roof line appears comes down at a different profile and lower than would have been usual, compare it to the shape of the spectacle plate on the tender, the top edge of the drivers window is also low compared to the line of the washout plugs.

I wonder if they used the original cab sidesheets and moved them out to 9'. This would make them slightly too short and the roof and spectacles slightly too low. Glad it wasn't just me. That's the hazard of spending too long studying processed meat containers!

34072 257 Squadron (4500 gal raved tender)

However, I think in it's current overhaul, it might be losing the Raves...

Artists impression of finished product: http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/Home_Pictures/257_450px.jpg

It's tender is being re-tanked in Stockton (North Swanage), latest photo I can find of it: http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/News/Pictures/2014/05_tank_318.jpg

I really hope they do fit raves, just won't look right without them...

• RMweb Gold

34078 '222 Squadron' was playing up a few weeks ago, so this afternoon I had a go at the pick ups in the tender which weren't touching the inside of the wheels. The main loco pick ups also had a fettle.

The loco is now running fine. This one is fitted with a Howes Loksound decoder so a little different sound to the Czech loco sitting nearby!!!

Photo taken on a yet to be sceniced Dobris.

post-1557-0-17609200-1408288797_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Tonight, it's 34008 Padstows turn to have a health check.

No split gears but again the tender pick ups weren't doing their job.

I am surprised that I hadn't noticed this before as not one of them were touching the wheels.

Will have to go thr ough the rest of the fleet in the coming days.

post-1557-0-74205200-1408392433_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I know this is a very simple question (not sure if it is a simple answer), but at a quick glance, how can you tell MN from a WC/BB? Ignoring the original/rebuilt question obviously. I have noticed that there's a huge number of minor variations (smoke deflectors, etc.), but IN GENERAL what are the spotting differences between the heavy and light pacifics?

Thanks

I know this is a very simple question (not sure if it is a simple answer), but at a quick glance, how can you tell MN from a WC/BB? Ignoring the original/rebuilt question obviously. I have noticed that there's a huge number of minor variations (smoke deflectors, etc.), but IN GENERAL what are the spotting differences between the heavy and light pacifics?

Thanks

The main one I go by is the shape of the name plate, and/or numbers (Sounds obvious, but 35xxx it's a MN, 34xxx it's a BoB/WC. For pre-BR, 21Cxx for MN, 21C1xx for BoB/WC)

MN name plate: http://www.railwayanapage.com/images/united_states_lines.jpg

WC name plate: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8533/8624674135_6698b8f7cf_z.jpg

BoB name plate: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8368/8579337701_ce5cd8b796_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...