Modelling Spam Cans (Bulleid Pacifics)

roundhouse

Thanks Matt

Not the news I was hoping for. Does the same apply for the MN?

As the Rebuilt MN is an older tooling, it doesn't. If fact, I think it's the complete opposite - there was no example with a fixed truck.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's Rebuilt Light Pacifics all have a fixed truck. (I believe) The models are also supplied with a flanged axle, which can be fitted with ease, but really this is only for display purposes.

Regards,

Matt

Locos fitted with the flanged trailing wheels will happily negotiate 3' radius curves in my experience.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, have just caught up on this interesting thread,  I wonder if anyone could help with the following question .... 

Which WC/BB locos were outshopped at any stage in the Photographic Grey Livery,   was it just Fighter Command ?

Any help, information, photos, greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Ian

• RMweb Gold

thanks guys, this puts me off the golden arrow set thats coming out  :cry:

I suggest you watch the video of the forthcoming 'original' MN on the Hornby website.

Despite being finished in very pale primer, the fixed trailing truck really does look far better in motion (even on their tight curves) than a floppy one surrounded by loads of unwanted daylight.

The flangeless wheels are a small price to pay IMHO. 

John

Hello, have just caught up on this interesting thread,  I wonder if anyone could help with the following question .... 

Which WC/BB locos were outshopped at any stage in the Photographic Grey Livery,   was it just Fighter Command ?

Any help, information, photos, greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Ian

I believe a number of the early West Countries were outshopped first in fully lined Photographic grey.

The only one I can find at the moment is in Scott-Morgan's book which has a photo of 21C105 fully lined in photographic grey with nameplates and crests July 1945 (not officially named until August 1946).

Of the later light pacifics, several photos exist of Battle of Britains in a plain works grey. But this may have been more of a primer than a true photographic grey.

An example is in Richard Derry's book which has a photo of 34071 in plain works grey with a BR malachite tender, 12 April 1948 (to traffic 17 April as "615 Squadron", later 601 Squadron)

21C164 is an interesting and special case, being the 1000th Brighton-built loco, outshopped and photographed first fully lined with the original cab, taken back in to have the first wedge cab fitted, then photographed again - but in both cases, as far as I can see, in fully lined malachite.

EDIT: See, that's what I like about this forum: Someone asks a question. You try to answer it and immediately you find you are wrong!

I now have a photo of 21C164 with wedge cab in Photographic grey............

Edited by Forester

• 2 months later...

Probably not the right place to ask this. But for a complete beginner how in Gods name do you fit the brake rods to a spamcan? I have just tried for an hour or so with no luck. Just cannot get the lugs to fit into the tiny holes . I presume the answer is to 'fit ' the two centre lugs using plastic glue (ie forgetting about getting them into the holes) and then botch the front and back set somehow? The set for the tender were no problem. I have sorted out which are LHS and which are RHS.

• RMweb Gold

I unscrew the plastic baseplate with the brake shoes then glue one of the rods into the relevant hole with superglue.

Once set I then drill through the rod with a 0.4mm drill being careful not to break the glued joint. I then feed a piece of 0.33 brass wire through the hole and bend over both sides and trim almost back to the plastic but leaving enough wire to hold the two plastic parts in place. Add superglue then repeat for the remaining 5 joints.

Its fiddly but to date none of the hangers have broken off any of my 40 or so Bulleids.

I unscrew the plastic baseplate with the brake shoes then glue one of the rods into the relevant hole with superglue.

Once set I then drill through the rod with a 0.4mm drill being careful not to break the glued joint. I then feed a piece of 0.33 brass wire through the hole and bend over both sides and trim almost back to the plastic but leaving enough wire to hold the two plastic parts in place. Add superglue then repeat for the remaining 5 joints.

Its fiddly but to date none of the hangers have broken off any of my 40 or so Bulleids.

Thanks for the help.......off to Wilkos to get some superglue. But I think my basic problem is my eyesight and insufficient hands!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help.......off to Wilkos to get some superglue. But I think my basic problem is my eyesight and insufficient hands!

I use the edge of a board to rest the brake section on whilst drilling thorough. I also have to use an illuminated magnifying glass these days!

• Like 1

I use the edge of a board to rest the brake section on whilst drilling thorough. I also have to use an illuminated magnifying glass these days!

I bought some Loctite gel Superglue. There was no way that the lugs on the brake rods would fit into the holes on the loco's brake shoes - even using a magnifying glass held in a retort stand and with illumination from above. So I took the executive decision to remove them and hopefully get a bigger surface area for contact and adhesion with the glue. The superglue was applied to the hole where the lugs were supposed to fit  into, being a gel it forms a neat 'blob' into which the brake rods were placed. I did the front and back points of contact first and let them dry (with the aid of a hair drier), and then did the middle two points of contact. After an hour or so I 'topped up' the glue on each joint. So far I've done one loco. It looks ok and seems fairly robust - although time will doubtless tell. I havent got the courage to start drilling at this stage.But the loco I've done does now look the part. And there are three more to do.

I bought some Loctite gel Superglue. There was no way that the lugs on the brake rods would fit into the holes on the loco's brake shoes - even using a magnifying glass held in a retort stand and with illumination from above. So I took the executive decision to remove them and hopefully get a bigger surface area for contact and adhesion with the glue. The superglue was applied to the hole where the lugs were supposed to fit  into, being a gel it forms a neat 'blob' into which the brake rods were placed. I did the front and back points of contact first and let them dry (with the aid of a hair drier), and then did the middle two points of contact. After an hour or so I 'topped up' the glue on each joint. So far I've done one loco. It looks ok and seems fairly robust - although time will doubtless tell. I havent got the courage to start drilling at this stage.But the loco I've done does now look the part. And there are three more to do.

I tried again with another Bulleid pacific to fit the brake rods to the locomotive........again I found it totally impossible. So I have had rods and 'holes'  scanned and measured. The result.............it would be impossible to fit the front and rear lugs on each rod because the lugs are 15% too big to fit into the holes!! As for the central pair the lugs and holes are  almost exactly the same diameter! Not very helpful.........perhaps some one from Hornby would like to comment?

Just wondered if anyone else  has tried to model  '34035  Shaftesbury',  with its smoke lifting modifications   circa 1960 ?

I also have  '34049  Anti-Aircraft Command'  with its modifications,  .....

I will try and post a photo of the two models in the next couple of days. 

Photos of any other models greatly appreciated

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted a set of RT models' brake rods using the thin Peco track pins, they are a good fit in the brake hangers. When I came to do my next one I'd mislaid the second set so I cut the pins off the Hornby rodding and there is a tiny indent on the outside of the moulding so you can line up and drill them with a 0.6 mm bit. The Peco pins are a push fit, easy to line up, and you can use epoxy or superglue to hold them. When it's all set, cut off the excess behind the hangers.

Ash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Probably not the right place to ask this. But for a complete beginner how in Gods name do you fit the brake rods to a spamcan? I have just tried for an hour or so with no luck. Just cannot get the lugs to fit into the tiny holes . I presume the answer is to 'fit ' the two centre lugs using plastic glue (ie forgetting about getting them into the holes) and then botch the front and back set somehow? The set for the tender were no problem. I have sorted out which are LHS and which are RHS.

Is there any mileage in telling us which Spam it is? At least then if others have managed it you'll know it can be done. It is possible that recent models, made in different factories, simply have different tolerances from earlier batches. I have done several, all secondhand, without undue difficulty, but next week may be trying with Camelford, a new release.

I tried again with another Bulleid pacific to fit the brake rods to the locomotive........again I found it totally impossible. So I have had rods and 'holes'  scanned and measured. The result.............it would be impossible to fit the front and rear lugs on each rod because the lugs are 15% too big to fit into the holes!! As for the central pair the lugs and holes are  almost exactly the same diameter! Not very helpful.........perhaps some one from Hornby would like to comment?

Sorry for the late reply. I use a method suggested elsewhere but cannot remember by whom. It involves drilling a hole through each of the pins on the brake rod mouldings, with just enough clearance for Peco track pins, so they are a good interference fit. Insert the track pin through the brake rodding pins from the back, so they project through the holes in the hangers and can be cut off nearly flush. They can be secured with a spot of glue as well if desired. It does require a steady hand and a good eye (or a magnifying glass) to drill straight along the inside of the locating pins on the rigging.

I had deliberately left pins projecting in the photos so people could see what I had done. A couple of the photos are a little out of focus but I think they are clear enough to show the pins. The first photo shows the tools I used - nothing out of the ordinary there!

This method works for all of Hornby's Rebuilt Merchant Navy, and both original and rebuilt West Country and Battle of Britain locos. 

Bulleid%20Brake%20Rigging%20Mod%20-%20To

Bulleid%20Brake%20Rigging%20Mod%20-%203%

Bulleid%20Brake%20Rigging%20Mod%20-%201%

Bulleid%20Brake%20Rigging%20Mod%20-%204%

Bulleid%20Brake%20Rigging%20Mod%20-%207_

Bulleid%20Brake%20Rigging%20Mod%20-%206_

Bulleid%20Brake%20Rigging%20Mod%20-%205_

• 1 month later...

Help, I have a question regarding 34006 Bude,   I believe it ran with two different crests,  eg a Cornish Crest and a 'Bude' crest ?

Can anyone confirm this, and the dates/years  of when it carried each crest, Also the colour of the Nameplates,Red or Black ?

Thanks very much, the Devil is in the detail !

Help, I have a question regarding 34006 Bude,   I believe it ran with two different crests,  eg a Cornish Crest and a 'Bude' crest ?

Can anyone confirm this, and the dates/years  of when it carried each crest, Also the colour of the Nameplates,Red or Black ?

Thanks very much, the Devil is in the detail !

21C106 Named Bude 11/45

Renumbered 34006 5/48

Crest changed from county to town 2/50

Repainted BR green 7/50