Hayling Billy Branch Line (00)

terriertankengine

Hello I'm TerrierTankEngine,

My Layout is based on the home of the terrier, Hayling Island commonly refered to Hayling Billy. All Preserved Terriers exept Waddon and Boxhill, were ran on the Hayling Billy Line at some point in their lives. The reason only terriers were ran during the 1900s in it's life was because of the swing bridges' low holdable weight. The linewas scrapped in 1963 due to the bridge was in desparate need of repair.

But what if B.R. saved this railway which, mile for mile, the most profitable in England?

Here's the track plan for 1965-1970:

4185287792_9023f0ef3f_o.jpg

Work should start soon but the track is nearly finished. Fiddle Yard will use the Casset System.

An extention to the Goods Shed was made in 1964 when the line became a preservation line.

A dozen? You must be joking! I counted at least 20 wink.gif

I swear they were mostly all renumbered too.

I'll be interested to see this one develop, an interesting twist on the real location.

Probably, I was trying to keep the figure to a conservative (note, small 'c') estimate, but Mark (Richard's son) could have added the extra from those he had when he bought my 'Bembridge' layout.

Guest 009matt

they have more terriers than you could shake a stick at - when I last spoke to Mark about it, he thinks they have at least one example of each of the class, in every (most?) livery that each loco could be seen in. They have more than can be just seen on the layout - oh and then there's the G3 stuff!

Hi TerrierTankEngine,

Just wanted to say how I love the idea of someone modelling the Hayling Island branch and I love the track plan too. Having paid numerous visits to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, I can see the attraction of these tiny but powerful locos and look forward to following your progress with interest.

I have just one question to ask you or any other members on here and that is "What coaching stock did the Terriers haul in BR Southern Region days up to the line's closure in the early 1960's?"

Best Wishes,

Paul aka Intercity125

They were usually picked by the drivers, as the engines were, who got into work first. First choice was the MK1 Coach with a Bullied Compisit Brake. The other unlucky driver (there was only 2 in 1963) took 3 coaches: 2 ex-southern Mausell and a Mausell compisit brake. I will probably have 3 BR mausell coaches with 2 Compistist brakes.

Nice painting:

289__hayling.jpg

32650 with the now IOW stock probalbly 1950 scene.

My first 2 locos will be renumbered from 32662 to 32636 and 32650.

The layout has changed slightly from a 1965 scence to 1964. Yes i know what can a year do well it excludes the big shed for a small one and brings it closer to the real Hayling in 1963 which in many respects is now idenital track layout exept the triple point track section which i've split in to one left one right 1. it was easier 2. i already had those 2 points so why spend more?

I am only thirteen so there are drawbacks:

Size of my room, I can't have a bigger baseboard.

Money

Time (school and homework sad.gif )

But assets added will be

DCC (Hornby select)

Lights the little LEDs

Real running numbers

And a good sence of Play!

Thanks you guys. Means a lot to me.

Terrier

Edit: I'm mainly entering for tips and help. I really can't see myself winning.

Hi Terrier,

Thanks for confirming the stock that ran during the 1960's. The branch line must have had a neglected feel about it and using such a range of coaching stock will give the layout variety, even if Terriers are the order of the day.

DCC will certainly enable greater flexibility on your layout, and the track plan will help add to interesting operation too. Look forward to future updates on your progress.

Paul

aka Intercity125

Yes quite a bit of weathering is needed to make stock look right but if the line is newly presevation so it shouldn't need loads. I'm think about lights for coaches and little lamps and lamp irons for terriers tongue.gif trackwork nearly finished hoping to complete and tac this weekend. Scenicwork will begin after my birthday in 2 weeks time! Oh and there's christmaslaugh.gif!

Just a few comments on what has been said.

The Hayling branch wasn??™t really a ramshackle run-down system. During the summer it was extremely busy and the rolling stock was as well presented as possible, although the locos were showing their age. The drivers occasionally bulled them up with whitewashed smokebox number-plates.

The coaches were a mixture of types, Maunsell, possibly Bulleid and definitely BR Mk1, although the last were usually the non-corridor compartment types, as made by Replica ??“ in particular the unique fibre-glass coach. As the Mk1??™s had no guard compartment they were always accompanied by at least one Maunsell brake composite.

I don??™t think the drivers would have much say in the stock they were using ??“ everything would have been rostered in advance and ready for use when they reported for duty.

A word of warning when considering re-numbering the Terriers, assuming you are talking about the Hornby model. As it comes, it retains the front sandbox combined with the front splasher, and the original short bunker. By BR days all the reboilered A1X class differed from this arrangement. There were three different possibilities ??“ simplifying things a bit perhaps. All those rebuilt on the mainland, and some of the Isle of Wight rebuilds, lost their attached front sandboxes, which were replaced by boxes underneath the running plate. All the locos that ran on the Isle of Wight (and after 1961 32662) were given an extended bunker for greater coal capacity, and some of these had retained their combined front sandboxes. For authenticity either you will have to remove the front sandboxes or, probably more easily, install the extended bunker that is available from, I believe Golden Arrow.

Your choices 32636 and 32650 would both need their front sandboxes removed, and 650 would also require the extended bunker. 636 (Fenchurch) was only an occasional Hayling Island loco, spending most of its time at the other end of the county, at Newhaven and other locations. Perhaps a more sensible choice would be 32640 and 32646, both of which retained their front sandboxes, and were regulars on the branch and also made it into preservation.

If you don't have it already, you could do worse than get yourself a copy of the Branch Lines DVD, Memories of the Hayling Island Branch Line.

Branch Line Videos

84 Himley Green

Leighton Buzzard

LU7 2QA

01525 382070

(with whom I have no connection!)

Just to add to my previous post, if you are detailing the Terriers, don't forget to add the spark arrester that they all seem to have had fitted by the sixties. Not sure how this could be done, perhaps a short length of tubing the same diameter as the bore of the chimney, with a washer or two attached at the rim.

Also, if you are adding lampirons, check the prototype, as some, such as 636, 646, 662 and 670 retained the old LBSCR tall irons on the buffer beam, whilst others, eg 640, 650 and 677 had the irons bracketed out from the smokebox, whilst 678 appears not to have any of the mid-level irons, which meant that at times it ran without displaying any head-code discs at all!

If you don't have it already, you could do worse than get yourself a copy of the Branch Lines DVD, Memories of the Hayling Island Branch Line.

Branch Line Videos

84 Himley Green

Leighton Buzzard

LU7 2QA

01525 382070

(with whom I have no connection!)

Hi John,

With reference to this video do you know if anyone has solved the mystery yet, as to what the jam jars were for that were placed on the sleepers at the end of the platform ? Would love to solve this as it's bugged me for years !!!

Regards, Martyn.

Wasp Traps rolleyes.gif

Sounds feasible, although without digging out the video it looked like oil in the jars if I remember. And the jars were up the end of the platform by the small drivers wooden hut away from all the passengers.

Regards, Martyn.

Nick holiday posted:

The Hayling branch wasn??™t really a ramshackle run-down system.

No but it had weathering like every other railway.

Nick Holiday posted:

I don??™t think the drivers would have much say in the stock they were using.

They did according to my Great Nan.

Nick Holiday posted:

You will have to remove the front sandboxes.

Yes it will be a forthcoming project.

Nick Holiday posted:

Install the extended bunker that is available from, I believe Golden Arrow.

Thanks I was going to do it the hard wayrolleyes.gif

Nick Holiday posted:

636 (Fenchurch) was only an occasional Hayling Island loco

I realised that but it double headed the last train with 670 thats why I wanted him.

Nick Holiday posted:

32640 and 32646

Maybe but I would like a challange

Thanks eveyone I might get that DVDcool.gif

EDIT: Something I put up on PW Oh Ps I also now have 32636 i'll dig the camera out this evening

I was fiddling around on Anyrail and thought maybe I should do a recent spectrum of Hayling in preservation. Heres a nice plan with a new platform:

4231123712_08d96d0f45.jpg

The other gives a view of the layout just after preservation, not much has changed exempt the goods shed has been converted into an engine shed.

4202314965_a84cd30844.jpg

By the time of 1990s the swing bridge should be able to take 60tons (well I want it to) after repairs and changes (thats an E4, just.) I would like to here your thoughts on which track plan you feel is better and locomotive and stock should be obtained, other than Terriers. Thanks in advance.

--TerrierTankEngine

• 1 month later...

Hi TerrierTankEngine,

I don't know if this is helpful or of interest, but Hayling Island has been given the project treatment (in "N" Gauge) by Chris Leigh in January's Model Rail (Page 54 - Page 62). Also in "Best of Southern Steam The Final Decade" by Alan Postlethwaite there are a couple of photos of Stroudley Terriers working the Hayling line (Plates 66 and 68).

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Archived