NIR stock from the 70s-lookalike tribute

Hunslet 102

For those that may already be familiar with my Belfast Great Victoria Street station lookalike tribute thread in the layout topics section,as per a couple of requests,I have decided to do a lookalike tribute section to the stock that both run and will run on the layout.

As stated from the start,all stock will be lookalike tributes to what ran on the real NIR railway of the 70s.I like to model-bash or convert stock to obtain a model of a prototype that reflects the original,therefore they will not be 100% accurate,but as long as they are a close representation for my own layout needs then I am happy to live with that.That said,I would welcome comments or views both positive or negative,as we are always on a learning curve and can always improve our modelling skills with advice.

So,as this thread evolves,I hope some of the models I have done,am currently working on and intend to do in the future,they will bring back some memories of what the railway in Northern Ireland was like in the 70s.

Andy

Very nice work! I'm just dusting off some of my own efforts from that era, from about fifteen years ago, and it's good to see your work. Reminds me of a BUT set I buit for a friend. It's no co-incidence I used identical methods for the power cars; those thin Tri-ang Mk1 sides are ideal for a bit of 'cut and shut' and squaring off the window corners re-inforces the resemblance. Must see if I can dig out some pics, the only ones I can find are these of a couple of AEC sets.

Would love to see some more pics as the work progresses. Earlier today I found a couple of old Tri-ang Mk1s in a box in the garage and after I've repaired the ravages of time from my UTA and NIR sets, havng seen your pics I'd be tempted to start a BUT myself!

Ivor

post-15566-0-77907500-1336314150_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy!

I made a few GNR coaches for Leslie back in the day (on Hornby Stanier bodyshells with plasticard overlays, each with about 2 miles of plastic strip, for panelling!) but the AEC and BUT sets were for Steve Rafferty. IIRC I made a mixed green and maroon/grey set first, then a second set in GNR blue and cream. I must see if I can find the photos he sent me, they're about somewhere. I sort of lost touch with everyone for various reasons.

'Diesel Dawn's' a great book. When I started researching the MEDs and MPDs in the 1990s (I didn't even kown their correct designations, then; to me they were just the railcars which had taken us to the seaside in the 1960s and 1970s) I got copies of the drawings of nearly all the cars and trailers from Mark Kennedy at the UFTM and got hold of every pic I could find, from the likes of colour-Rail, Charles Friel and Richard Whitford. I even got to speak to CME WAG MacAfee and (having seen his name on the drawings) designer Leslie Stafford who both regaled me with their memories of the types and provided some additional references. If you didn't know it already, the Linnenhall library has a copy of the UTA's own publicity booklet on the MEDs, which tho published just after the first sets entered service, has numerous excellent photos and some useful diagrams, which help make sense of the underframe details. Probably the UFTM has a copy too.

I'm not sure I ever recall seeing or travelling on the GNR railcars, sorry to say, but they do look smart in NIR maroon and grey.

Look forward to seing more pics, off now to look up your layout thread!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ivor

Great pictures of the AECs in GNR(I) and UTA liveries. I am starting to build one which will either be UTA green ot NIR red and white. I've not decied which yet.

All these NIR threads really rekindle memories of travelling around the system in the mid to late 1960s on the Rail Runabout tickets enjoying both the deisels and the swansong of steam/

Colin

Thanks for the pictures of the BUT set -it's great to see all the UTA/NIR models and hopefully modellers of this era will add to this site. I know there must be quite a few seeing references on ebay or in magazines.

Looking good there, Andy! Couple of questions, if I may:

1. what paint (makes/shades) do you use fro the maroon & grey? They look good. And do you spray or hand-paint? I used to use the nearest shades in auto paint sprays tho they are a little thick and the grey I used was a bit dark.

2. the centre cars are evidently based on Hornby Staniers (albeit with round not oval buffers, possibly filed down) - the sides look like an overlay - is that right and are they etches? If cut from plasticard they are very neatly done, especially the window ventilation framing, whether cut out or fabricated from strip!

Below is the opposite end of the UTA-liveried railcar set in the earlier pic, and a side view of the K15 in GN livery. The latter was a Hornby Stanier with plasticard side overlays, new ends, and modified roof, underframe and buffer beams - or maybe it was a scratchbuild, using an aluminium roof and plasticard for the rest - yes I think that's what the centre cars were, now I think of it.

post-15566-0-23710400-1336774591_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet, Andy! Nice to see some more of your work. I have nothing for my own Hunslett to haul (tho until I get around to a layout that's a tad academic I suppose) and will want to emulate your efforts at some point, tho probably in 'blue stripe' livery to match my loco.

As a fan - or a victim :) - of the blue and maroon era, have you been tempted to turn out a 70 Class in that livery? A Hornby Mk2 can make a decent power car, with the replacement of the window ventialtor struts the fiddliest part, and Staniers need much less work to provide trailers - not as neat as the etched option but cheap.

So little time, so many potential models!

Looking forward to seeing more pics of your GN railcars too, as they emerge from the works! The more I look at your BUT & AEC pics, the more I'm tempted to build a set for myself. They suit the NIR maroon & grey particularly well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics Andy! The distinctive appearance of the Hunslets gives them a sort of stylish and rakish character that sets them apart in a world of very bland (MVs) or very functional (GM) designs. Never having seen much of the 'maroon & blue' era, I naturally tend to favour the mid-blue livery they were wearing when I rediscovered my interest in railways, real and model, in the early 1990s. But I have to admit your model looks great in maroon and gold.

Is yours an MIR kit? The Model Shop in Belfast have a Hunslet and a Metovick on display inside at the moment, both in mid-blue, and they look just superb; I presume they are the Silver Fox models. Shame that MIR folded late last year!

Ivor

• 5 weeks later...

Looking good Andy! I have had some 'planked' plasticard sheet in the bits box for about 15 years, intended for a couple of brown vans, and having read your post I have just bid on a couple of cheap Tri-ang horse boxes; the general proportions and roof outline are indeed a decent basis, thanks for the tip!

Ivor

Looking good Andy! I have had some 'planked' plasticard sheet in the bits box for about 15 years, intended for a couple of brown vans, and having read your post I have just bid on a couple of cheap Tri-ang horse boxes; the general proportions and roof outline are indeed a decent basis, thanks for the tip!

Ivor

Another possible way is to use the old triang/Hornby cattle wagon (very cheap!), sand off raised detail, add plasticard sides, then a piece of coach roof on top and away you go - couple of hors max! I did them quickly for Cultra one year. They are a bit short (I think the horse box may be better but hadn't thought of it when I did mine) -but as long as they aren't marshalled side by side with a "scale length" one they look OK behind a jeep or MPD!

Colm

post-4092-0-39429200-1342396928_thumb.jpg

PS They weren't really bauxite, more of a greyish brown shade, and usually bogging filthy anyway., but maybe someday i will do a repaint.

Will do Andy! Fingers crossed re my bids for horseboxes in the meantime - roof profile looks about right (coach-like) so maybe less work that Colm's ex-cattle wagons, and like Ronald Reagan put it, they say hard work never hurt anyone, but why take the chance?!!

• 1 month later...

Is it the Carrick show this weekend Ivor? If so,enjoy it and pin Leslie down for an answer.

Grrr, only managed a short passing visit to Carrick on the Sat, Andy, and didn't make it back Sun, so I missed both Leslie and the RPSI bookstall, my main reasons for going, must have been there Sunday only or tucked away in a side-room somewhere!

Just to prove I WAS there, however briefly, here's a couple of snaps of the MRSI layout...

...and back on topic, some more showing the current condition of the suburban MPD project. The dummy power car now has some underframe trussing in plastic strip, roof bands from strips of parcel tape (!), MJT whitemetal torpedo ventilators, exhaust pipe cut from a cotton bud (!), plasticard disc 'flying saucer' roof vent, and thin florist's wire forward vent pipe, just loosely affixed. Sides have plastic strip hinges, handles and tablet catcher hatch; also from thin florist's wire, the rain vent pipes that run from gutter to footboard (two each side) and a couple of little vent pipes or cable ducting that runs down each side just behind and below the sliding guard's doors (which were built closing flush, the recessed ones seem to be an NIR development) . Cab front has plastic tube section headlights and plastic strip lamp brackets. Needs buffers and beam/sidesole detail, underframe components, and interior/seating unit. Will replace tension-lock coupling on one or both ends with a wire 'D-ring'. Power car sits loosely on its Tri-ang DMU motor bogie and will be next for detail. Other bogies are Hornby Stanier-type (should be a little longer and have roller-bearing axle boxes, I know, but I use what I have in the spares box or can buy cheaply). I may replace the 'white-walled' plastic wheels with finer-scale metal ones at some point, the 'white walls' will be removed in the meantime.

References used for these - UTA works drawings (from Mark Kennedy at the UFTM), Diesel Dawn, UTA in Color, Irish Traction in Colour, & Irish Railway Album.

Your turn now Andy - how are your NIR ex-GNRI railcar sets coming along?

post-15566-0-59413600-1346182816_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-48001100-1346182882_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-25991300-1346182913_thumb.jpg

post-15566-0-37895100-1346182932_thumb.jpg

Archived