RAF Kinloss MRC / Halfords Paint List - 2012 Version

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 1ngram said:

Not a rail colour but is there a car spray colour to match the kinda red/rust colour steel bridges like the Forth Bridge are painted in?

The forth bridge is just red oxide paint,  even it's new long lasting paint is mixed to that original colour. I just bought a tin of this,  it will last me many bridges etc. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unknown-DY020A1-Red-Oxide-Primer/dp/B002WB6QXK

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 1ngram said:

Does anyone here have a jar of Polly Paints PRR Tuscan they no longer need?  Not available seemingly in the UK I need some for my GNSR stock and will happily buy any such available.

Would this be any good?

https://mech-models.com/shop/ols/products/tru-color-paint-1-fluid-oz-bottle-pennsylvania-rail-road-1948-passenger-car-tuscan-tcp-276

11 hours ago, M51625 said:

does anyone have a recommendation for a halfords match to coach roof grey for Maroon liveried stock?

I'd be surprised if you'll find one; non-metallic grey is not a popular colour for cars!

However, Precision do that colour; spray some on a sample card and take / send it to a car factor; they will fill a spray can with matching paint.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Non metallic Grey is a "in" colour and lots of shades, on shed loads of cars. VW, Audi , Mini, Ford   etc etc etc

Really?? All I seem to see are multifarious tones of metallic grey - including my own in 'Corris Grey', believe it or not!

CJI.

• 2 months later...
On 07/09/2022 at 21:47, M51625 said:

does anyone have a recommendation for a halfords match to coach roof grey for Maroon liveried stock?

I have used a Matt grey spray paint from Halfords which was, I think, described as Plastic Bumper Paint.  I am sure it was recommended somewhere on RMWeb since that’s where I seem to learn most things.  Anyway, it did a decent job especially as any coach roof gets a good bit of weathering after painting.

More urgently for me, Halfords have discontinued Rover Damask Red and will no longer mix paint to match and to order, or at least the person in my local branch says so.

Any advice for a currently available close match to Rover Damask Red, anyone?  For BR maroon coaches in particular.  

thanks in advance for any advice.

Iain

Thanks John. A good idea, which I had thought of, but was lazily trying to short cut by finding a can off the shelf. I will go to find a local supplier.

Out of interest, does anyone have a colour code or Pantone number for BR maroon or BR (LMR) loco red?  

When I ordered the Land Rover deep bronze green for BR green it was from a colour or Pantone code.  Which I have forgotten but could no doubt find somewhere.

thanks,

Iain

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2022 at 08:24, 92220 said:

Any advice for a currently available close match to Rover Damask Red, anyone?  For BR maroon coaches in particular.  

Ford Burgundy Red (not sure if it's still available).  I used to use Burgundy red as my 'everyday' maroon and Damask Red for coaches that were closer to ex-works condidtion.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I was able to pick up a can of Damask Red via Ebay for around the same as Halfords and in only a couple of days last summer.

Similarly I got some vauxhall burgundy through eBay fairly recently.

Having said that the high gloss finish as supplied isnt ideal, especially when limiting how much paint you put on isnt easy (I use them so infrequently its like learning again every time), so in future i will probably have some satin or matt made up. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Similarly I got some vauxhall burgundy through eBay fairly recently.

Having said that the high gloss finish as supplied isnt ideal, especially when limiting how much paint you put on isnt easy (I use them so infrequently its like learning again every time), so in future i will probably have some satin or matt made up. 

Its worth remembering any transfers will be much better if applied to a gloss surface followed by a matt or satin sealing coat.

Chris H

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

What he said.   This was treated in exactly that manner and it isn'texcessively glossy.

spacer.png

Fair enough, that is indeed very nice. Just out of interest what was the cream shade?

Ive never been very happy with the coaches I did using a car rattle can (as opposed to specific railway ones) but will revisit them.