ARCADIA MODELS SHAW, OLDHAM

Stevelewis

Used to call in four or five times a year when I was passing but a change of jobs last year meant that was going to cease so paid what I thought would be my last visit in September and added a couple of Hornby Gresleys to my cupboard. I found myself heading across the Pennines on Thursday so was able to drop in and left with some nicely priced S/h wagons, you can never have too many can you.

Edited by RANGERS

Yes  Brilliant  retailer  and  dont  forget  he  does  rapid  mail  order,  I have  dealt  with  Tim  for  many  years,  mainly  initially  for  Large  scale  items,  but  more  recently  for   0  , 00 & N Gauge  UK items  and  Continental  H0/H0e,  I  once  tried to  talk him into  USA  but  he  wouldnt  have it!!

If  you  are  looking  for  anything  that  the  'big  boys' have  sold  out  of  always  worth  giving  him  a ring, he also sometimes  gets  new  items  before the others  as  well,  I got  a Hornby Catalogue  &  Some  Hoppers well before a certain retailer  got  them!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit, this side of the planet it's hard to find a bicycle park near the only really good model train shop I've found - a truck (sorry lorry) no chance!

I'll be heading back to Oldham later this year to catch up with my sister, so will make a point of visiting Arcadia while I'm there.

Dammit, this side of the planet it's hard to find a bicycle park near the only really good model train shop I've found - a truck (sorry lorry) no chance!

I'll be heading back to Oldham later this year to catch up with my sister, so will make a point of visiting Arcadia while I'm there.

I think one  of  our  members  drives  a  truck  and   has  mentioned  calling  in  to  Tim's  shop  and  being  able  to  park!  But  of  course  you may not  be  bringing  your  truck when you visit!!!

I think one  of  our  members  drives  a  truck  and   has  mentioned  calling  in  to  Tim's  shop  and  being  able  to  park!  But  of  course  you may not  be  bringing  your  truck when you visit!!!

If I remember correctly that is Jenny Emily. Although I found no reference to truck driving during a quick look at her web site. (Came across it by accident while looking for something else).

Any one interested in visiting there is a small car park just down from the shop, usually plenty of space in the streets behind the shop and for those on public transport the Manchester Metro system goes through Shaw these days.

Edited by 10000

and for those on public transport the Manchester Metro system goes through Shaw these days.

But, but, that's the one that replaced the trains .... maybe I'll catch a bus instead :)

Actually I'll be driving a rental car as hard as I can, might as well make the most of it.

I just know I'm going to buy way too much when I'm back in England and happy to give some of my cash to Arcadia if they're as god as you guys  say.

• RMweb Gold

If you're going there by car, it's worth pinting out that the shop is only a few minutes drive away from Junction Number 21 of the M62 motorway, so easy to pop-in for a visit as part of a lonnger road trip.  I've been known to drop in just because I'm on my way over the Pennines for some other purpose.

Chech his website for opening times, also worth giving a call to if your visiting during school holiday times.

Good advice. 

Closed on Tuesdays and Sundays.

He often closes for some days during all short/half term holidays and for a couple of weeks during the summer.

May be inconvenient for us but nice to see he thinks about his family.

• 1 month later...

I live just about a mile away from Arcadia. Not been in for a while due to a lack of modelling funds as I am doing quite a bit of work on my house. Must scrape a bit of cash together and pop in again!

If I lived only about a mile away I would have been bankrupt by now.

Good advice. 

Closed on Tuesdays and Sundays.

He often closes for some days during all short/half term holidays and for a couple of weeks during the summer.

May be inconvenient for us but nice to see he thinks about his family.

He  is  closed  for a few days  over  the  Easter  Break,  its on  the  website, 

PS anyone  notice  Tim got  a  mention  in Railway Modeller  April issue?   Railway of the  Month  OLDHAM  Junction.

• RMweb Gold

I was in tonight and we were talking to Tim about holidays and he says the last time he had a two week holiday was about 1979! In fact it is only in the last couple of years or so he has been having some well extra deserved though ofter short holidays. I am sure his wife Karen is pleased he is having some more holidays!

I put a smile on his face as I spent some more money! I have got some of the new Hornby LMS coaches, I rang this morning and he said he'd got a parcel but hadn't opened them as he thought they were some repeat orders, he didn't realise he'd got the LMS coaches as he wasn't expecting them!

• 4 weeks later...

He has always offered a 1st class service since he opened in 1997 or 1998, I used to use the Handy man shop or Norman Wisenden as im from Oldham but have since moved to Manchester.

Norman Wisenden was well known for his rip of usually above rrp prices.

I now live on the outskirts of Manchester city centre.

I would prefer to drive to shaw as he always has the latest releases in stock and he will usually match or beat the big box shifter prices, that way I can physically inspect the product before purchasing it.

If I bought from a box shifter retailer and say for example it had a paint defect , overspray or paint chipped off ect I would have to send it back at my expense..

I have noticed though the Ian Allen bookshop on Manchester Piccadilly Approach is offering the same price also as the box shifters and Arcadia.

I now have to ask my self should I walk into the city and buy the same thing at competitive prices or priced matched, or should I use petrol and time to drive on a 14 mile round trip.

I would be getting the same product that I could inspect for any defects at the same price as a box shifter or Arcadia in shaw.?

I really think bottom line prices are a serious matter.

I was in tonight and we were talking to Tim about holidays and he says the last time he had a two week holiday was about 1979! In fact it is only in the last couple of years or so he has been having some well extra deserved though ofter short holidays. I am sure his wife Karen is pleased he is having some more holidays!

I put a smile on his face as I spent some more money! I have got some of the new Hornby LMS coaches, I rang this morning and he said he'd got a parcel but hadn't opened them as he thought they were some repeat orders, he didn't realise he'd got the LMS coaches as he wasn't expecting them!

I have  been  putting  further  smiles on Tims  face  in  the  last  few  weeks,  with  my  return  to  Garden  Railwaying,  Loads  of  track  £6 per  foot  nearly,  points  £70 !!

locos & rolling  stock  00 prices  x  around  5!!   Still  its  only  money  and  i  have  sold off  all my 00 &  N  gauges   to help  pay ( only some  0n30 remains in the  shed  for  the  wetter  days  but  am considering   selling  that  also)