Class 58s in Spain

McGomez

• RMweb Premium

On Thursday we took the Slicante to Madrid high speed service and went past the Monforte depot.... it looks as if one of the 58s is being broken up.

The cab is intact on the ground, with parts strewn around. 

The remaining locos (maybe 4) are further away in the depot area, which included the 2 that are heavily graffitied.

There are still 4 stabled at Albacete.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Is 58050 still in Spain? I understood as the very last locomotive built for/by British Rail it was earmarked for preservation and due to be returned home when it was no longer needed in Spain.

I wouldn’t like to say which locos are still here I’m afraid @PhilJ W I’m going to try and get over to Monforte to see if I can get some shots of them.

The depot at Albacete is not close to a road so won’t be possible.

In coming back from Madrid yesterday, I filmed us going past the Monforte site, although at @200km you don’t get to see much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 06/04/2019 at 22:14, woodenhead said:

Well BR wanted to be able to export these, seems they finally achieved it if these are still seeing use abroad.

It was a cheap deal for the construction company, all laid up in sidings at the time and gave years of sterling service abroad! A waste as they could have done the same here in my opinion.

• Agree 1