Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Just got the Heljan British signal box, unopened still sealed for £2.00 + £2.50 p+p. It's the same kit as the Knightwing signal box, which is £12 to almost £15. Picked up the Heljan Goods Shed and Country Inn in the same condition for under £6.00 each a week or so back.

I will now make collectors cry by actually using them.

Edited by Unchuffed
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

And after all my mediocre runs with ebay, I have been informed that I have TWO Lima class 60's on their way to me for a little over £41.00.

I think that that's a good price, after all how much were they new and how much work would be needed to bring them up to the Hornby version?

• 11 months later...

Got a Hornby M7 for £35 Inc postage - it had been renumbered as a Caley Tank but a quick few wipes with a white household stain remover block restored it virtually it to its original condition, rubbed a bit too hard in one part and removed most of one of the original numbers but it got renumbered anyway. It also needs a new dome as the original had been filed down but that is all of £2.50 from 247 Developments.

Late edit, that dome is too tall , but found out that Craftsman do a Drummond M7, T1 dome

Edited by Butler Henderson

Last week I got a Churchward 45xx loco body kit (un-made), missing a few castings but came with various chassis parts including 2 sets of hornblocks for £33.50 all in, not dead cheap but a good price. However some time ago I got 2 part built Malcolm Mitchell 45xx chassis which included 2 sets of drivers and one set of the smaller wheels (all to P4 gauge) I doubt if the lot came to the price of a new body kit.

Another but was a Wills Castle body, along with an etched SEF chassis and 6 Romford drivers, all that was missing was a tender and a set of coupling rods. £13.50 all in

The bargins are there, just need looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

im well pleased, just won a brand new Hornby class 67 in wrexham livery for £80, another for the fleet, going to rename and renumber this one to 67014 i recon

it was really badly listed, just said "Hornby wrexham and shropshire" in the title

Yeaterday I won a K's Class E single deck tram, to many not much of a model but it completes the trio of unusual kits (tram and Road Railer). Looks to have a few parts missing, no chassis wheels or motor (no loss there) missing one end (have the other to make a copy from) and destination boards. May be a few more bits which have gone astray, but will have to wait for it to arrive and scrounge a copy of the K's instructions.

£7.50 plus £3 P&P, so very reasonable

• RMweb Gold

im well pleased, just won a brand new Hornby class 67 in wrexham livery for £80, another for the fleet, going to rename and renumber this one to 67014 i recon

it was really badly listed, just said "Hornby wrexham and shropshire" in the title

and to top it all off its arrived this morning and its the dcc fitted version, sweet!

• 2 months later...

I think I may have a good buy, I bought a copy of Southern Locos to Scale by Iain Beattie for £8 + £2 p&p. I thought I may have paid a little over the top, so I looked it up on Amazon. To my astonishment there were 3 on sale the cheapest being £59. But having J H Russells Pictorial History of Southern Locos (which is far cheaper on Amazon) its a bit of a let down, though the drawings are very clear.

Strange that the other books in the series are far cheaper on Amazon.

I think I may have a good buy, I bought a copy of Southern Locos to Scale by Iain Beattie for £8 + £2 p&p. I thought I may have paid a little over the top, so I looked it up on Amazon. To my astonishment there were 3 on sale the cheapest being £59. But having J H Russells Pictorial History of Southern Locos (which is far cheaper on Amazon) its a bit of a let down, though the drawings are very clear.

Strange that the other books in the series are far cheaper on Amazon.

The "Locos to Scale" series by Iain Beattie were flawed, just like Roche before him. Have a look at his "U" drawing - it merges the "new build" U with the cab front of the "rebuilt River" (which was wider, and had a lower running plate) and presents it as gospel. At least one kitmaker (Falcon Brass) relied on it, and the result was unhappy......

To be fair, there was not much available at the time which was as accessible.

I need both the K's 3rd and 1st SR 4 wheeled coaches to complete a collection of all K's coach kits. Just brought one which I think is the 3rd as it has 5 compartments and paid just over a tenner all in (at least I noe have a 3 coach rake as I have 3 brake 3rds) these do go for quite a lot and a K's bogie syphon at just under £8 all in. I do have a K's 1st 4 wheel coach but the previous owner filed off all the beading,hand rails knobs etc.

Me again!!

Hornby A3 Sandwich for £26.33 only wanted the Tender as the type never issued with LNER livery so far.

Loco and chassis may go back on ebay and will probably sell for more than that !!

I can't believe this huge bargain as I bought same off eBay for around £40 a while back and i thought that was a bargain! Was this incorrectly listed because that's where I find most the bargains?!

I can't believe this huge bargain as I bought same off eBay for around £40 a while back and i thought that was a bargain! Was this incorrectly listed because that's where I find most the bargains?!

Listed only as Hornby Sandwich, in text poor runner .

All that was wrong was valve gear slightly bent on one side and catching coupling rod . Straightened and now running fine.

I think most good buys come from items which may have been poorly/miss or wrongly described. Wrong catagories or just a realy bad listing. Items correctly described, well presented and in the correct catagory have the best chance of making good money.

I have noticed an item make a very good price, then a flood of the same items appear only to surpress the price.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think most good buys come from items which may have been poorly/miss or wrongly described.

my last 3 cars have be aquired that way, got an LPG fitted mondeo for £400 back in december which is back up for sale, finishing tonight, currently at over £650, only selling as i dont need an lpg car to commute to work any more.

the replacement car, a 2001 PT cruiser, which im picking up later, cost me £440 purely as the seller didnt put any pics of the outside of the car other than the spoiler but from that picture i worked out where they lived and went up to have a look at it before the auction ended and it didnt look too bad for the money so ive taken a chance on it